Your idea of game journalism

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
DISCLAIMER: This is inspired by but has nothing to do with Gamergate. I don't care about who's a sexist and who's sleeping with who and why this site is blackballed versus that site. Don't care. If you try to turn this into a Gamergate thread, I will ask you to leave and if people refuse, I will ask that the thread be shut down.

All right, with the Disclaimer out of the way...

I've seen a lot of people complaining about "game journalism" lately, specifically people are unhappy with the relationship that publishers and game journalist people have. However, what I don't see a lot of is how you can change this? It's easy to tear down but it's much harder to build up and all I'm seeing is people tearing down...

So what I would like to know is this; let's say you are given the keys to The Escapist (or Kotaku, or Game Informer, or "insert gaming website here"). How are you running it any different than how it's run now? What are you going to do that won't have your site fall apart right away (because that's what most of the "suggestions" I've seen would do)?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Let's see, I would have a lot more corruption and collusion.

I would strongly encourage bribes and would encourage staff members to only have sexual affairs when there is a conflict of interest.

I would hire more SJW journalists and we would feature a weekly column on why all straight white men are bad and why they should feel bad.

Also, when writing an article recommending Pokemon games, we wouldn't just feature a list of the main fucking games. XD

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
I don't see how it's particularly difficult
-Don't write about people you have a non-professional (in regards to your job as a games writer) relationship with (including, but not limited to, people who feature you in the credits of your game, people you are funding on patreon, people you are sleeping with)
-Don't give ad space to companies whose products you're reviewing
-Actually verify things before you paste them on your site
-Don't blatantly shill for companies (say, for instance, promoting Tomb Raider to get a PS3)
-No goddamn swag, no accepting money, you don't need to be flown out and wined and dined to play a video game
-Disclose any relevant information in the article
-It's probably better if review scores go extinct

Have I missed anything? I'm pretty sure I covered all the bases in less than 10 points. Obviously this stuff needs to be fleshed out more in terms of explicit implementation.
What do you feel would cause these sites to fall apart right away?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Same as any kind of journalism, Pinky, be honest with yourself and your reader, and go for truth rather than sensation.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Scootinfroodie said:
I don't see how it's particularly difficult
-Don't write about people you have a non-professional (in regards to your job as a games writer) relationship with (including, but not limited to, people who feature you in the credits of your game, people you are funding on patreon, people you are sleeping with)
-Don't give ad space to companies whose products you're reviewing
-Actually verify things before you paste them on your site
-Don't blatantly shill for companies (say, for instance, promoting Tomb Raider to get a PS3)
-No goddamn swag, no accepting money, you don't need to be flown out and wined and dined to play a video game
-Disclose any relevant information in the article
-It's probably better if review scores go extinct

Have I missed anything? I'm pretty sure I covered all the bases in less than 10 points. Obviously this stuff needs to be fleshed out more in terms of explicit implementation.
What do you feel would cause these sites to fall apart right away?
Most of your points there wouldn't affect the bottom line so they'd be fine. However, the two points (and what seem to be the two suggestions that I see cropping up most often) that would be a problem so maybe you can help me see why it would work:

1. Ads. Game companies are going to be the ones that will pay the most money for ad space. You're tearing a large chunk of revenue away from yourself by not having ads from game companies. How are you going to make up the difference? You can have non-gaming ads I suppose but what do you do when they're not available and how are you going to make up the money lost (since again, game ads will pay you more)?

2. Flown out. I agree that accepting a free things (not related to your job; I assume you're fine with the "review copies" practice but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is bad but what do you do with all the Publishers that force the "review room" setup? Do you just not review those games? Do you wait to review those games and either buy or rent yourself (costing you money twice; once for the game itself and once because your reviews are going to be considerably late compared to everyone else). This practice seems to becoming more and more prominent so what kind of complications is that stance going to give you?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ideal game reviewer?

The only requirement is that you aren't a bribed shill for a company/studio/person. Whether that be in money or sexual, or in game favors (You know like with ME3 and Jessica Chobits).

Other than that? Unleash your opinions to the world. Who fucking cares. Don't like the opinion? Find someone else you do like.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
1. Ads. Game companies are going to be the ones that will pay the most money for ad space. You're tearing a large chunk of revenue away from yourself by not having ads from game companies. How are you going to make up the difference? You can have non-gaming ads I suppose but what do you do when they're not available and how are you going to make up the money lost (since again, game ads will pay you more)?
Non-gaming ads, adsense, subscription fees. Being funded by people you're writing about creates a conflict of interest. When people see a glowing review surrounded by banner ads featuring the same game, why should they trust that review?

tippy2k2 said:
2. Flown out. I agree that accepting a free things (not related to your job; I assume you're fine with the "review copies" practice but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is bad but what do you do with all the Publishers that force the "review room" setup? Do you just not review those games? Do you wait to review those games and either buy or rent yourself (costing you money twice; once for the game itself and once because your reviews are going to be considerably late compared to everyone else). This practice seems to becoming more and more prominent so what kind of complications is that stance going to give you?
Free copies of a game is fine, but dinner, drinks and a flight aren't necessary parts of your job
I think we need to do away with those. It's prominent because it allows a more favourable reviewing environment for publishers and devs
It's just like post-launch embargoes. They exist because companies can get away with it. If websites stop allowing that, companies aren't going to just cut off coverage, they'll stop the practice.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Scootinfroodie said:
Non-gaming ads, adsense, subscription fees. Being funded by people you're writing about creates a conflict of interest. When people see a glowing review surrounded by banner ads featuring the same game, why should they trust that review?
But what about when there are no other ads? The Escapist itself mentioned in the past that there were times when there were no ads on the site because there was no ads that were paying them (granted, this was a while ago so maybe that's not an issue anymore but it does show it can happen).

Sterling is going to end up being an interesting test case if subscriptions alone will let you stay independent but as much as I like him, I don't think it's going to work. There are plenty of people that won't (or can't) pay for their video games; you expect that they would pay for video game coverage? The Escapist has The PubClub but the amount of people there compared to the non-PC members is tiny (The Escapist has also stated that they get more money from people using the ads; PubClub gets them less money).
Scootinfroodie said:
Free copies of a game is fine, but dinner, drinks and a flight aren't necessary parts of your job
I think we need to do away with those. It's prominent because it allows a more favourable reviewing environment for publishers and devs
It's just like post-launch embargoes. They exist because companies can get away with it. If websites stop allowing that, companies aren't going to just cut off coverage, they'll stop the practice.
That would work IF you could get every gaming website to agree to it. But as long as there are those who can profit off of it, the practice is going to continue; most of the journalists have no reason to say no. The sites that do put themselves at a major disadvantage.

I suppose gamers could try to boycott but as much as it sucks, gamers that know what's going on are the minority. Gamers who know what's going on AND care enough to fight against it are even smaller.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
But what about when there are no other ads? The Escapist itself mentioned in the past that there were times when there were no ads on the site because there was no ads that were paying them (granted, this was a while ago so maybe that's not an issue anymore but it does show it can happen).
That's ultimately for them to figure out. It's really the only way to avoid the most obvious COI sites have
Also, gaming is a huge industry. I sincerely doubt nobody outside of gaming companies will pay for advertising on gaming sites

tippy2k2 said:
Sterling is going to end up being an interesting test case if subscriptions alone will let you stay independent but as much as I like him, I don't think it's going to work. There are plenty of people that won't (or can't) pay for their video games; you expect that they would pay for video game coverage? The Escapist has The PubClub but the amount of people there compared to the non-PC members is tiny (The Escapist has also stated that they get more money from people using the ads; PubClub gets them less money).
I wasn't suggesting that subscriptions be the sole method of income

tippy2k2 said:
That would work IF you could get every gaming website to agree to it. But as long as there are those who can profit off of it, the practice is going to continue; most of the journalists have no reason to say no. The sites that do put themselves at a major disadvantage.

I suppose gamers could try to boycott but as much as it sucks, gamers that know what's going on are the minority. Gamers who know what's going on AND care enough to fight against it are even smaller.
People that read gaming news sites at all a minority. Ultimately people are fighting for views from people who care enough to read up on things
So long as there's sources willing to go without the sketchier practices (heck, even Kotaku is willing to do this in certain instances) people will have the ability to avoid sites and producers who aren't willing to separate themselves from unethical practices. Once it becomes terribly obvious that Game Reviewer X is openly promoting products from say, Sony, their relevance will decline. I would argue that this has already happened for a lot of gaming communities. Fighting games, for one, have ended up with their own set of sites, and are probably better off for it considering the lack of time investment many writers are willing to put into fighting games before rating them
Another, more ethically driven example would be the decline in relevance of sites like Gamespot. There's still a large number of people who read and utilize the site, but there's also a large number of people who absolutely will not forget the Kane and Lynch fiasco (or any other relevant issues). I've run into quite a number of full communities where mentions of Gamespot, IGN or Kotaku will elicit dismissal or mockery. These people are potential readers and financial contributors, they just wont put up with anti-consumer actions.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
More disclosure, basically. Give people the information, and then they can decide individually have much of an effect something may have had.

Oh, and personally I find reporting on previews a bit sketchy as well, considering that a game can change dramatically between a preview and its' release, and publishers will skew advertising with shit said from a preview.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I don't recall having problems with game journalism back in the heyday of gaming review magazines, I'd like to see a return to those seemingly golden days totally not affected by nostalgia goggles *cough*.

One trend in modern reviewing that I find a bit obnoxious though is the..*sigh* I'm sorry for using the term but "social justice" stuff where reviewers get offended or disturbed by something they don't agree with and such issues become the main talking point of the game in forums I browse. And then there's the whole blogosphere and twitter angle where journalists and gaming media people get the internet mob fired up for vicious internet "wars" as an extension of these views and how they are detrimental to x cause or y group.
Heck sometimes it's before a game even comes out, anyone remembers the whole "lara rape scene" thing?

Back in the day reviewers were able to review things like Manhunt and GTA series making at best a note that there was questionable themes and leave it at that, letting the reader decide if they find said themes offensive or not.

Of course I wouldn't have a problem with these kinds of reviews is if it didn't feel to me like they had disproportionate influence over the net and forums I use like the escapist. Maybe it's a consequence of some kinda confirmation bias where I tend to have so much of these types of opinions shoved at me (I can't remember the last time I browsed the escapist and there WASNT a thread on sexism and gender issues...Some people might see it as a good thing or even a victory but personally I've been burnt out on the issue and went from being an ignorant neutral to feminist and back again multiple times with occasional rebellious anti social justice phases and now I just don't give a flying fuck. Give me what I personally like and I'll be on my way, don't care how offensive it is anymore)

So basically out of the OPs scenario I'd probably have the biggest change on kotaku.

I guess I should probably browse for more sites and stuff...

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
For me reviews are the bread and butter of any video game site. Generally I don't need them to be more in depth, but I would appreciate as many titles as possible get reviewed, even if it a mini-review based on playing for 5/6 hours (with this clearly stated and a separate scoring system). It goes without saying these need to be unbiased.

Apart from that, I think that sites need to cut down on being part of the hype train. Back in the day, you had games magazines that were released once a month, so before a game was released mags would probably do one big preview a few issues beforehand and have a couple of paragraphs about it in the news section each issues after that. These days the AAA games are competing to keep their games in the news by drip feeding information. Many readers seemingly want to read this and magazines want the clicks, so its hard to see the system changing, but personally I'd be happier if a site had policies that said we'll do one major preview of a game (three-six months before release) only and we'll summarize all 'minor' news in a weekly column covering all games. In any case I think a site should be careful to ensure there is a reasonable amount of balance in the column inches each game receives. I feel like previews are best done as interviews with designers covering game design issues with reasonably searching questions ("this mechanic was broken in the previous game, how are you addressing it?"), the journalists don't have to be Jeremy Paxman, just try to have a reasonably intelligent conversation about it.

Finally, I like post-release analysis pieces, similar to what Shamus Young does on the Escapist. After a game has been out a while and people have had a chance to play it, its nice to have in-depth articles analyzing a particular aspect of the game mechanics or narrative.

All this is criticism rather than journalism. I'm happy for sites to do proper journalism (pay and conditions for developers, social trends, issues of corruption in the industry and so on), but realistically there aren't always many of these at any one time. Its more of a case of the writers keeping their ears to the ground and when they find something interesting writing about it, rather than something which they're going to be publishing every week.

Similarly I've got no problems with opinion pieces (including social justice ones) as long as they are intelligently argued and supported by evidence when required.

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
I think this is a more complex topic than people are giving it credit for. The question of what is an agreeable reviewer is entirely dependant on how you view your games experience. I've somewhat addressed this before in asking what the role of cultural critisism is in our medium. I have recently expanded this question and I am seeking an applicable Theory of Games. To this end I have been doing a lot of research. One of the fundamental points I have come across is a differentiation between the world of staff critics and that of a more academically driven point. I think that in this day and age the distinction may be collapsing somewhat, but let me continue along this line of reasoning to illustrate my viewpoint.

There are an infinite number of ways to look at the purpose of critisism, but I will focus on two viewpoints. Let me call these two viewpoints the practical and the theoretical. In the practical viewpoint, we look at games as a pragmatic entertainment medium. In this way, the best practical critics will relate to us their experience using a method that gives us the ability to reasonably estimate what our own experience of the product will be. This sort of critisism needs expressive wording and the audience needs to be able to inhabit the headspace of the reviewer in order to understand that moment. To this end the subjectively significant needs to be espoused. This is where a system of ethics comes into play, or at least a personal code. However, practical criticism is grounded in the here and now. It is inherently affected by the popular climate to a deep degree. The degree by which we allow practical critisism to take into account these factors is really what is debated. Personally, I don't really mind either way, so long as it is logically consistent and spelled out transparently for the readers to evaluate.

Of course, practical critisism really breaks down when we reduce it to a number. I think we should, as an industry, get rid of numerical scores.

Now, when it comes to the theoretical: I see the purpose as to set up these sort of formal systems for looking at games. This is important, because it systematizes aspects of games that would otherwise be unstated, and it also provides these formal definitions for artists to push and question. This is the sort of critisism that, to me, pushes the art forward precisely because it creates a larger dialog as to the nature of gaming. In this, we need logically consistent views as well as a degree of academic rigor. I feel that a lot of the practical critics of today see that there is a need for this sort of critisism and are trying their hand at it by mixing it into their practical reviews. Any critic that asks "What is a game?" is in effect doing this.

I get the feeling that, across the industry, we tend to idealise the film industry in our seeking for artistic approval. I have heard these arguments that more or less boil down to that we need games to come into the public sphere with the trappings of the Auteur Theory. Now, the reason why I say this is because it is widely held that the Auteur Theory is what finally brought cinema into the current public acknowledgement. It is born out of American individualism, which was widely popular in the time that film was coming into popularity. Autour Theory provided a convenient way to link the films of a given director, so that even the lowly crime thriller could be referenced in the same breath as a surrealist masterpiece.

Of course, in film theory this is still highly debated. For instance: To what degree does David Lynch maintain his auteurship over the PS2 commercials he was hired to produce? Or for instance, to what degree do Ridley Scott's early commercials play into the technical analysis of his films? Today, this theory is too old not to be tested at every turn, and our medium is simply too young for it. Instead, we are thrust into the world of prominent post-structuralism. The Author is Dead, so the challenge becomes... how do we establish legitimacy in this climate?

I think the only answer to this, given the current trends is... with text. We must make more text, we must tie games into the discussion of other art forms. We must allow it to become so prolific and open, mutable and personal that it touches life every day. Then, we must analyze it. We must use Autour Theory, we must use Feminist Critique, we must use Structuralism. Once we establish the traditions and the deviations, the transgressions and the apologetics we move necessarily into art. Our legitimacy becomes de facto.

To this end, my idea of the perfect games journalist is one with something to say.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
My idea of game journalism goes thus:
Games journalists/bloggers can do whatever the fuck they like and if I don't like them, I don't visit their site instead of trying to ruin their careers/lives.
*drops mic*

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
First, let me use a metaphor. And imagination.

Let's say that there is published, scientific research paper: "The Lean Cackling(tm) is good for your health", funded by 'Totally Unaffiliated Foundation', which is mostly funded by Cackling Co, The producer of Lean Cackling(tm).

Can it be trusted? Maybe.

Is it as equally, or more trustworthy than other paper on the subject that is not funded by Cackling Co(or its associates)?
I'd personally say no. But that is like, my opinion.

Now you know my opinion on gaming reviews, which is funded by Gaming media sites, which is mostly funded by Ads from video game industry.

Short version: Doubt first, ask questions later.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Not The Bees said:
Out of curiosity (you don't have to tell me if you don't want to) but how do you plan on paying for it? Most of the complaints I seem to see (and the inspiration for this thread) is the financial side of things like gaming ads and other things that could show conflict of interest.