Your "I'm an idiot" moments in gaming.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Not a video game, but I did have a big "duh" moment in the board game "Arkham Horror". For those who don't know, its a fully cooperative board game where all the players work together, and there is no player on player conflict.

I was playing a solo game and was finding it nearly impossible with one character. It wasn't until I read about other solo plays online that I came to the realization that there is no reason, just because you are playing alone, to restrict yourself to playing just one character.

It seems like such an obvious thing, but it never occurred to me, and now I feel dumb for not thinking of it. Of course, from what I have seen, many people, and developers, make the same mistake when trying to do a solo run of a cooperative board game.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
cthulhuspawn82 said:
Not a video game, but I did have a big "duh" moment in the board game "Arkham Horror". For those who don't know, its a fully cooperative board game where all the players work together, and there is no player on player conflict.

I was playing a solo game and was finding it nearly impossible with one character. It wasn't until I read about other solo plays online that I came to the realization that there is no reason, just because you are playing alone, to restrict yourself to playing just one character.

It seems like such an obvious thing, but it never occurred to me, and now I feel dumb for not thinking of it. Of course, from what I have seen, many people, and developers, make the same mistake when trying to do a solo run of a cooperative board game.
What? Seriously?

...now I feel like an idiot, too. Hah, gotta try that solo with multiple characters then. Oh boy, am I laughing at my lack of imagination now.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
Most recently. Dark Souls, after the easy fight with Pinwheel I couldn't find any way out. I walked around the tiny room looking for a way out. Took me 5 minutes before I noticed the ladder made of stone embedded into the wall. I facepalmed.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Playing the new XCOM on classic, and getting to my first exalt mission, while conveniently also being my first mission with the mectrooper. Luckily, it's the type where the exalt troopers are being absolutely suicidal in trying to hold the area with no cover, so I'm absolutely slaughtering them.

I decide to get fancy when a group presents itself, so I launch a rocket into the group. Of course, it goes off-course into my mectrooper. My mectrooper, conveniently located near two explodable objects also caught in the blast, goes from full to dead my first mission using one. That was pretty much the only damage during the fight too.

Seems to happen every time I try and get a little fancy with rockets; I swear the game can see that.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
Blitsie said:
Discovering the sprint button in Skyrim about 20 hours in really had me facepalming, the amount of time I could have saved had I known that.
i can beat that

it took me 18 months and a thread like this to discover you can continually drink in fallout 3 just by holding down the use button
... YOU CAN?! O_O Well, fuck.
How long have I had Fallout 3 for now? A few years? ;u; I wonder if this is repeatable in NV.

OT: Anytime I need to find a thing. Just... always the finding of "the thing". I always run around in circles and then I look it up on the internet and I'm like ".... oh fuck me".

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Figuring out how to actually make a good deck in Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories with a proper strategy, rather than just using random cards.

I got all the way to the first battle with Larxene before I figured this out -.- she was much easier when I started spamming the blitz sleight.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
Blitsie said:
Discovering the sprint button in Skyrim about 20 hours in really had me facepalming, the amount of time I could have saved had I known that.
i can beat that

it took me 18 months and a thread like this to discover you can continually drink in fallout 3 just by holding down the use button
Wait... What? You can do that? I have had Fallout 3 for three years and I did not know this. I feel rather quite silly now.

OT: The puzzle doors in Skyrim that require the dragon claws, it took me 10 minutes of trying to get through one before having the idea of comparing the pictures on the door to the claw.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
This happens to me in every game I play, I have a special talent to miss the completely obvious. Unfortunately for me this carries on into real life as well, I could know you five months then suddenly notice the fact that you wear that same green jacket every day.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
In a game of LoL a few days ago, I chased Singed. I deserved what happened as a result.

Binnsyboy said:
I was playing Don't Starve yesterday. Doing really well. I had got this really nice ecosystem. Pig houses on the edges of spider lairs. Big clusters of berry bushes.

Then I realized I'd completely forgotten about winter. I made it into the third or fourth day of cold.
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/37/3747cc8e77636bd52b9e3ddc572c13a5bfc6810bcd1bb503d8cce478978e6899.jpg

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
Way back in MEGAMAN X! After I killed the bee and it feel down... I got stuck and didn't know that I could wall jump... at all... After 20 mins I gave up.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
resident evil 4 when I finally realized there was a QTE when fighting the giant....I wasted so much ammo on that basterd and all I need to do was jump on him back and knife him. whats worse it took 6 playthroughs for me to realize this

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Sometimes it takes me an embarrassingly long time to find the door I'm supposed to go through in games only to find it was right in front of my face. I'm not sure if that's a testament to repetitive level design or me being an idiot. Probably the latter as I do think the level design in the Arkham games is quite good. At least the first 2. I have yet to play Origins.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Played Fallout 1 for the first time last week:

The title screen

"Why won't these buttons do anything, I keep fucking clicking them!"

"...Oh, it's the little red one, not the frame itself..."

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Well, I WAS about three hours into Fallout: New Vegas before I figured out what VATS was.

That was some awkward combat.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I actually had one in WindWaker as well. Later on in the game you beat an enemy in Ganon's Castle and this supposed "puzzle" was to pick up the enemy's sword and use it to smash the door that was blocking your path forward.

I dunno how many times i hacked at that wall with my master sword or indeed how many light arrows and bombs i used to try and pry that thing open before picking up the enemy sword off the ground and yelling "FUCKING DOOR!" then throwing the blade at the wall to trigger the scene of the door crumbling.

Even now, years later, i still feel like an idiot over that...

Loreley

Sep 1, 2011
I had a giant one in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. I think my brain was as bugged as the game for those parts. Minor spoilers for a storyline:

So that club owner who's a Malkavian with a split personality pretending/thinking she is twins? Yeah, I didn't get that until one of them started wrestling with the gun in the almost last scene with them, where one has to shoot the other and I was wondering why it looked so weird. I didn't realise they were one person when the camera did the Gollum-cut back and forth in their discussion. Worse, I didn't realise it even though I myself was playing a Malkavian who kept calling her the daughter of Ianus and and I know that legend, so I don't have any excuse. I really felt like an idiot.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
I biotic charged a banshee in me3 multiplayer a few weeks ago, nothing wrong with that since I know the signs of when and how to avoid a sync kill and do this safely... so that was cool, what I DIDN'T factor in, was the second banshee who was so merrily strolling along next to the first, cue me getting sync killed, and me facepalming so hard that i think I still have the bruise.

Also same game, same scenario, except this time I charged right into the sync kill because I'm an idiot, I knew she was primed, I knew it would happen, but I did it anyway.

OOH OOH don't let me forget the time i medigelled right next to a sync kill primed phantom (this was on bronze too...the shame... oh the shame). that was a fun one.

Honestly I could probably go on for a long time with my "I'm an idiot" moments in the me3 multiplayer.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Loreley said:
I had a giant one in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. I think my brain was as bugged as the game for those parts. Minor spoilers for a storyline:

So that club owner who's a Malkavian with a split personality pretending/thinking she is twins? Yeah, I didn't get that until one of them started wrestling with the gun in the almost last scene with them, where one has to shoot the other and I was wondering why it looked so weird. I didn't realise they were one person when the camera did the Gollum-cut back and forth in their discussion. Worse, I didn't realise it even though I myself was playing a Malkavian who kept calling her the daughter of Ianus and and I know that legend, so I don't have any excuse. I really felt like an idiot.
Yeah, I heard the Janus thing and immediately went "oh they must be twins or something" when the name connected with something at the back of my head, but I was lucky enough to figure it out.

4RT1LL3RY said:
Most recently. Dark Souls, after the easy fight with Pinwheel I couldn't find any way out. I walked around the tiny room looking for a way out. Took me 5 minutes before I noticed the ladder made of stone embedded into the wall. I facepalmed.
Did this one too. Wasted a Homeward Bone, then went back after looking up the map online, then wasted another when I realised I'd forgotten a light source.

My personal examples are probably all League of Legends, forgetting to check my HP bar, or accidentally wasting Flash AND Barrier trying to write a message to my team.

Anthony Wells said:
I biotic charged a banshee in me3 multiplayer a few weeks ago, nothing wrong with that since I know the signs of when and how to avoid a sync kill and do this safely... so that was cool, what I DIDN'T factor in, was the second banshee who was so merrily strolling along next to the first, cue me getting sync killed, and me facepalming so hard that i think I still have the bruise.
I don't even watch the tells, to be honest. I just charge in, spam Nova back out.