Your Island Kingdom

TenthRegeneration

Feb 11, 2009
(sorry if this has been done before)

Alright, just for the sake of argument, here is a senerio:

Zombies have infected the planet, and you, everyone you liked and 100 other men, women, and children have all made it to an island large enough for you all to live comfortibly (SP?) that is safe from the Zombies. No zombies will ever make it to your island, EVER. You and your group have established huts and farms, and there is an underground spring that supplies fresh water for you all. The group also has several farm animals for milk and meat. You also have enough weapons and armor to defend yourselves. You all have food, water, and shelter. (As you can see, I've tried to set up this island so that with the right amount of hard work, you and your group can self sustain yourselves. Please let me know if you see any holes in this setup.)

Now, you are elected as leader for life. What kind of government do you have, and how do you run your island kingdom?

(bonus question: What color do you paint the buildings?)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
All pants are forever banned! Underwear is still required. This is the first step to creating a perfect pantsless society.

Shadow Law

Feb 16, 2009
One thing i would fix is the weapons and armor, they're not needed if there will never be zombies and would only cause conflict. If anything i would teach everyone a martial art so if there ever was a conflict it would be limited to hand to hand combat and only the strongest would survive.

Pohlkat

Apr 11, 2008
Isn't government supposed to protect and otherwise care for its people? What use is government, when:
a) You have no enemies
b) Everyone has ample food, water and other necessities
and
EDIT:

Damn, punchline stolen
Sigh, plan B

Go with anarchy, yo. Everyone has what they need.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
No i don't see any thing you missed in this. I agree with Shadow about the fact that you need weapons. So chances are this island is in the middle of the ocean so when zombies go into the water they would be flattened by the water pressure. So you really you have nothing over looked. But one small detail is missed. If the island is only enough for you you your friends family and 100 other people. Would kids eventually begin rolling in. How could you find the room you need for them?

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
The buildings will NOT be painted blue.
(Emotional scarring from that cult town in Earthbound...)

Not sure how I'd run it, though, sorry.

It's "comfortably."

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
I set up a computer in my hut, find a way to power it, and run a game of Dwarf Fortress. My successes and failures in the simulation will form the foundation of our new city. I figure most deserted islands have a good magma pit so I should be able to get a badass albeit unsafe system of central heating up and running pretty easily if DF serves me well.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Shadow Law said:
One thing i would fix is the weapons and armor, they're not needed if there will never be zombies and would only cause conflict. If anything i would teach everyone a martial art so if there ever was a conflict it would be limited to hand to hand combat and only the strongest would survive.
Of course, in this case, everyone is guaranteed to have a weapon (or if you go the opposite way and remove all the weapons without training, everyone can simply pick up a stone and be armed). Not sure it's possible to avoid the presence of 'weapons' - but you can at least try to make the playing field perfectly even.

Necrophagist

Jan 14, 2009
I would have a benevolent dictatorship with annual meetings for the populace to vent their frustrations. Then I would ignore their frustrations and do what I want. I would outlaw religion, obesity, and pants. I would limit families to one child per couple and enforce it lethally if necessary. I would ban all weapons and punish any violent crime outside of friendly brawls between friends with death. I wouldn't tax outside what would be absolutely necessary to keep my kingdom running.

In fact, it would operate like feudalism without the oppressiveness of it all. Farms would be self-sustainable and crop rotation would be necessary. We would outlaw slavery in all its forms and outlaw currency outside of food and barter goods. All surpluses would be redistributed to unsuccessful farms and families plagued by sickness.

Eating meat would be outlawed with the exception of special days when meat is in surplus. Animals will be viewed as living creatures and treated with respect as they work. There will be equal rights for animals as there are for humans.

Marriage will be optional and there will be zero social or economic benefits to it. We will not assume monogamy is the correct way, so we will not reward those who participate in it. The government will use any and all surpluses to aid in the arts, if the poor and hungry are taken care of first.

And this will work, of course, because we will all exist on an island with limited space and a small population.

And it will be perfect.

TenthRegeneration

Feb 11, 2009
Sorry about the bad spelling guys, it's late for me.

archwiccan said:
If the island is only enough for you you your friends family and 100 other people. Would kids eventually begin rolling in. How could you find the room you need for them?
You found a hole, very nice (that's what she said, zing!)

But in all seriousness, I'm under the assumption that the island is about the size of New Zealand. Again, just for the sake of argument.

Let's say that over population is not going to be a concern as long as you live. Within 100 years or so, all the zombies will have rotted away anyway, so your civilization only has to last a few generations.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Well, the group would naturally form itself into a tribal sort of government, since they would have had to band together to survive. The leader itself would be chosen by whatever the tribe needed most at the time; if it needed food, the best hunter would lead, for example.

As for buildings, I think it would be impossible to paint them. Paint would be my last worry when it comes to surviving a zombie apocalypse. But I'd probably try for a nice ocean blue, to calm everyone.