Your iTunes Library

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Hello fellow Escapists! Out of curiosity I thought I would make a post about this. How large is your Library (This can include songs, albums, artists, whatever) and what are your preferred genres? What is your favorite song/album in your collection? To be clear, it doesn't have to be iTunes either. It can be just on your computer, CD or even Vinyl if you want. The idea is just to discuss your music library and tastes.

For me, I have a library of over a thousand now, due to my Dad and I being very interested in all things music. I have close to 86 albums at this stage, from 27 artists. Most of these are metal, rock, industrial rock/metal or some of the more refined DnB out there. Favorite album being Celldweller's debut album from 2003. It was re-released this year as a 10 year anniversary edition with a few extra tracks. What I love about it is that it is the perfect combo between lean guitar, pumping drums and electronic sounds with a selection of great lyrics. Currently, my favorite track on the album is Own little World, thanks to the catchiest chorus I have heard in a rock/metal song in a long time.

So what about you guys?

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Upwards of 1300 songs is what my library tells me. Oh, and not all of us use iTunes. =D

Half of the music is mine, while the other half is my dad's. I listen to pretty much anything technically complicated, ranging from Beethoven to ZUN.

Personally, my favorite artist would be Dream Theater, Pink Floyd a close second. My favorite song of all time is tied between Space Dye Vest by Dream Theater or Time by Pink Floyd. They just are really damn effective at the overall message they convey, whether it be sadness in Space Dye Vest or helplessness in Time.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
thesilentman said:
Upwards of 1300 songs is what my library tells me. Oh, and not all of us use iTunes. =D
That's pretty impressive. And noted, I'll edit the OP to say say it doesn't have to be iTunes.

thesilentman said:
Half of the music is mine, while the other half is my dad's. I listen to pretty much anything technically complicated, ranging from Beethoven to ZUN.

Personally, my favorite artist would be Dream Theater, Pink Floyd a close second. My favorite song of all time is tied between Space Dye Vest by Dream Theater or Time by Pink Floyd. They just are really damn effective at the overall message they convey, whether it be sadness in Space Dye Vest or helplessness in Time.
Time is a brilliant song from an excellent artist. Great Gig In The Sky has always been a favorite for me. I have a bit of a soft spot for On The Run as well, if I'm honest.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I have 1282 songs as of now on my itunes. But I downloaded a whole bunch of stuff on my mom's computer so add another 1000 onto that number for those. So a grand total of around 2000+ songs. I have 107 cd's, most are metalcore, post-hardcore, power metal, viking metal, and a little classical metal in there too. Hey take a guess at my favorite genre, you might have to think for a couple hours. I've been mostly focusing on the power metal as of now, mostly due to me reading fantasy novels again. The two go hand in hand. Can't start my day without a little Angus Mcfife.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
1989 tracks at current count. I had more music, but my former roommate borrowed my CDs and never returned them, so I'm missing a lot of stuff I used to own. Part of the reason I've gone exclusively digital. Sucks to rebuy stuff you already paid for.

Mostly oldies for me. I pretty much stopped caring about new music in 1992. I have a few things from after that point, but it is mostly either foreign or a soundtrack. Give me the Beatles, Queen, Moody Blues, or Carpenters over current stuff any day.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Apparently I've got 25559 songs, or 72.7 days worth of music.

However, I've really struggled to keep up with digitising and organising all of my music collection (and I've fallen out of listening to a lot of music in general), so I'd imagine that if I finally got around to transferring all of my CDs to iTunes, it would grow by at least another 50%.

It sounds like a lot, but I've been buying music for almost 20 years and I've had a lot of different people living with me over the years, and thrown quite a few parties where my computer was the main music system too, so I've had lots of random people's My Music folders copied into my My Music folder over the years, music from an eclectic mix of different nationalities and personality types too.

I think if I could ever be bothered to digitise all of my CDs, then scour my My Music folder and and get rid of music that wasn't mine and I didn't really like, then I'd probably whittle down my library to about 10,000-15,000 songs, but nowadays I hardly seem to have the time or motivation to listen to much music at all (and when I do it's the same old classics from my original music collection), let alone analyse and organise a bloated collection that's grown out of control like a neglected garden... hell if I even mange to just put all my CDs back in their cases with the sleeve notes and move them from boxes to a properly organise storage solution, it would be a minor miracle.

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
1434 tracks on iTunes, though I only listen too a fraction of that now. I've gotten into Touhou remixes and my playlist has 333 songs and I could add a lot more if I bothered to organize my files/ delete old tracks for space on the ipod. Favorite remixers are cYsmix and shibayan. On my PC as a whole maybe ~3500 tracks that I could listen to if I felt like it.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
According to iTunes, I've got 800 songs. (I just got done doing a massive cleaning of stuff left behind by the ex, which was like 1000 songs.)

Favorite band though would have to be Three Days Grace, back when Adam Gontier was still their frontman. If you asked me what my favorite song was now, I would probably tell you something off of Fall Out Boy's 'Save Rock and Roll' album, but at some point, I always relegate back to Gone Forever by Three Days Grace.

When it comes to music taste, I have to say I'm not picky, cause Top 40 is always being played at work, so you learn to gain a tolerance and even liking for some, if not most, of the songs on the radio.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
4700 songs, or 13.8 days worth. Got a nice mix of rock, electronic, rap, and some orchestra and Big Band stuff just to be a pretentious white fuck.

So yeah, doin' pretty good.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I dont have my music in iTunes but on my computer and a thumb drive in my car. I have around 63GB of Music and a little over 9k songs. My wife has about 28GB. We only share a partial library as our tastes are quite different lol. My library is almost all Metal and hard rock with some Industrial, classical and classic rock mixed in. Hers is a lot of Industrial mixed with synth pop and 80's, 90's stuff.

IndieGinge

May 14, 2013
Well, actually I use both Itunes, and then have a communal Zune Pass (Microsoft Family) so I've got about 10000 songs on all my MP3 devices. But what I keep on *MY* computer? Loads of shit to be honest. I've just started to get into music in the past 2 and half years, so I've mostly got the three phases I've gone through, starting with Indie Rock/Garage Rock (think The Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The Black Keys, and Passion Pit all thrown into big blender) collection. That's mostly on the Zune though.

Then I'm from Seattle, so I heard about Macklemore like the day he release "Wings" as a single, like 2 years before The Heist, so I slowly started getting into hip hop. Now I bump Wu-Tang, Biggie and Young Snoop when it comes to the classics, or Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, and then a few more local groups and not quite household name rappers (I'm not sure what the Escapist community's stance on hip hop is, but if it's anything like other online places I frequent, ya'll tend to consider it trash). But it's all quality stuff if I'm not out at like a social thing or party.

Now, in the last year I've started to get into the electronic scene. I like good dubstep (Skrillex can go screw himself, he's not bad per se, but he's my least favorite artist, and he blows live if you're sober, I've seen club dj's that are better than that!) but mostly I like House music, Electo-House, Trance, and then what's currently being used as EDM(Electronic Dance Music) which seems to be heavily influenced by trap and hardstyle (I'm still not 100% sure what these mean to be honest, electronic genres are more confusing and varied than metal, but I do have a pretty good idea.) I'd say I love electronic music as much as I do right now because of how it can be so primal and sensual without having a single word in a song. I'm currently listening to Adventure Club, Tiesto, Dada Life, Borgore, Pegboard Nerds, Krewella, and Kill The Noise, with a fuckton of other singles thrown in the mix. And if I sound too excited about all this, I'm sorry, I just got back from a 2 day music festival and saw all of them live, along with about 20 other artists. Also, most of my Electronic actually is in my Itunes, not just on the Zune pass, so I guess that's what's there.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm also very partial to old rock, Led Zeppelin, all the punk classics, Bowie (Of course), Talking Heads, some of the New Wave scene, and then just Sunglasses at Night, by Cory Hart, I just friggin love that song for some reason.

WWWLUCIFERCOM

Jan 18, 2013
My digital library is in the upwards of 5000+ songs and growing while I inherited about 250 vinyl records from my dad while I had about 50 myself beforehand and I own a couple hundred cds

I enjoy listening to all kinds of music but my personal favorites are classic rock and most kinds of metal (sorry nu metal you can go die in the hole from which you spawned) with bands being Rush, The Runaways, Joan Jett, Children of bodom, and Himsa to name a few.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
According to Winamp.
1631 Songs
48 Artists
147 Albums
9.46 GB
Total play time: 4 Days, 5 hours, 16 minutes, 59 seconds.

Genres (in alphabetical order):
Alt Rock
Alternative
Dubstep
Electronica
Emocore
Grunge
Hard Rock
Hardcore
Indie
Jazz
Metal
Other
Pop
Pop-Punk
Post-Hardcore
Punk
Rock

Bands A-Z: A Day to remember - Wolfmother

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Just the music in my iTunes library?

34565 songs in 5553 albums.
258.12 GB according to iTunes.
98.9 days.

About 70% of that is digitized vinyl records or CDs, the rest is downloads through stuff like gamemusicbundle, independent artists, and the iTunes Store.

And I have yet to begin transferring the immense music library I inherited when my dad died, over 200 vinyl albums. Plus a huge amount of cassettes (anyone remember those?) and DAT tapes, which I have no way to even play :(

I could not begin to tell you what my fave album is as that changes depending on mood.

Genres are rock, dance, "alternative"/"indie", metal, jazz, soul -- basically anything except (c)rap although I do have some good rap songs in there (but mainly some nerdcore).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I just rebuilt my computer and don't have my library installed anywhere right now, but I do know I have almost 300 GB of music, most at 192kbps. I don't use iTunes except to burn audiobooks for my mom because he computer is a dinosaur that can't handle Audible. I use Windows Media Player to sync my mobile, and that's about it.

Keep in mind that most of my disposable income has been put towards music since about 1992, with my first REAL job. It got worse when I worked in a music store and later the electronics dept at Wal-Mart, so we're talking a collection that's over 20 years old and building. I even had CDs before then, though most of it is stuff I wouldn't listen to again.

Far as genres, I probably have a smattering of everything except Dubstep and Chinese throat singing. My biggest genres are rock, alternative, folk, metal, and pop. Pop and rock often being catch-all terms so it's sort of meaningless.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
iTunes tells me I have 5325 songs, at 14.7 days. It's largely metal, hardcore and rock, but there's a fairly wide mix of things in there that's not. I don't really bother to organise the genres, but from what I can tell, things that aren't just reworded versions of the same thing include electronic rock (I suspect this is solely down to having Ratatat's entire catalogue), 'acoustic' (seems a bit vague, probably Jack Johnson, Newton Faulkner and Toh Kay) and third-wave ska (too much for me to bother trying to list).

I've been listening to a lot of 36 Crazyfists lately, but my favourite artists are The Bronx, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Every Time I Die, Streetlight Manifesto and Slipknot. My favourite song is probably Cosmology by Rolo Tomassi, narrowly beating Everlong by the Foo Fighters and A Better Place, A Better Time by Streetlight Manifesto.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
How large is your Library
------------------
3171 tracks, 10 days of music coming in at 25 GB. Pretty small really.

What are your preferred genres?
------------------
Metal, with a majority of that belonging to the thrash sub-genre.
Also have a good chunk of rap and progressive rock.

What is your favorite song/album in your collection?
-----------------
This isn't a real answer, as I cant possibly ever hope to answer that, but here's 5 picks.

Fair To Midland - Fables From A Mayfly
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Havok - Time Is Up
The Sword - Warp Riders
Orphaned Land - Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
1989 tracks at current count. I had more music, but my former roommate borrowed my CDs and never returned them, so I'm missing a lot of stuff I used to own. Part of the reason I've gone exclusively digital. Sucks to rebuy stuff you already paid for.

Mostly oldies for me. I pretty much stopped caring about new music in 1992. I have a few things from after that point, but it is mostly either foreign or a soundtrack. Give me the Beatles, Queen, Moody Blues, or Carpenters over current stuff any day.
And I thought I was the only one that switched from cd to digital just so people can't borrow my cd's & not return them.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
My Ipod currently has 1503 songs on it, from 172 different albums. About 80 of those albums are metal, the rest are rock, rap, reggae, blues, classical, etc.

Between me and Dad, there are probably another hundred or so albums sitting round the house that need syncing up. Most of those will be rock. More Newton Faulkner, Radiohead, Clapton, Biffy, Hendrix, and so on.

Top 5 albums in my collection would be:

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
Muse - Absolution
Radiohead - OK Computer
Tool - Lateralus
Between The Buried And Me - Colors

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My library isn't as big as it suppose to be (I still have many CD albums that I haven't rib into the Harddrive) since I'm paranoid that at some point the pc will break/ died taking along my info with it. Yes I know I can save the info on a portable drive but I find it a hassle to copy the songs over.
Anyway due to lack on CD albums in it, my library is mainly compose of Jpops follow by anime soundtracks.