Your life events through the life of The Escapist

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I've been coming to this site for a long time. Looking back, I've had a lot of things happen in my life over the last 10 years. I joined when I was still living with my parents, and working as a game tester for Microsoft (Lol Too Human, does anyone even remember that game?), and as the years progressed, I moved out to a house with some highschool friends, got a job at a warehouse for a year and then got into IT work. Now I have plans to buy my own house in the next year or two because I just landed an IT job that looks like it will take care of me quite well.

So what's happened to you since you joined? Are you in a better place or worse?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
That Yatzhee at one point destroyed my enthusiam for gaming and replaced it with cynicism and jadedness.

Something I am trying to get out of. But other youtubers shitting on the gaming industry is not helping matters.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
2008 is when I graduated college...

I too am trying (though I am currently failing) at buying a house. This is kind of a shit market right now for buyers where I'm at at least and I'm right on the edge where the houses I can afford are beaten up and kind of janky (which are being bought by flippers, leaving people like me out in the cold) and the houses I can juuuuuust barely not afford are actual livable homes.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Second profile so, yeah, I've been around a decade as well.

Ten years ago I had hope. Now, well...now I'm a cynic who hopes for Star Trek but thinks Alien is more likely.

Aug 31, 2012
Well, I did stop doing all that heroin, so there's that. The Escapist was a big part of giving me something to do while I cut myself off from that particular social circle. Thanks escapist.
Other things have happened, but I'd say that was probably the most significant. Most other things that have happened can be linked back to that anyway.

I'm no longer happy with where I'm living and working though, I'm planning to move back to my home town by this time next year after 15 years away.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Can't quite believe that back when I joined the site in 2010, I was still in school. Well, my last few months. Since then I've gained a degree in biology, did a slight shift into physics and then recently started training to be a tax accountant. Eight years though... time flies, right?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
First degree, second degree, professional standing, extra management accolades (horseshit mostly but its more letters). Mostly collecting letters really, but hey, it hasn't made me happy but I'm not NOT happy so that's cool.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Last Year of High School - Expanding my social circle with friends who weren't mired in the culture of my hometown by posting here, optimism, goofing off. Post count really exploded over these early years. There Will Be Brawl

Early University Years - Big shocks to my naivety, posted a thread about my dog dying here, The Susan Years, things stabilized although content creators begin to slip away as time wore on. Doraleous and associates

Later University Years - LRR goes and with them the last of my non-Yahtzee content creators I enjoy, watching the cracks begin to show, trying to Escape my own impending responsibilities like any good student. Met some very important people to me. Forum Games winds down. We lose Kross

Now - No management, given a hammer, Discord (regrettably, still like this forum format best) has become what these forums used to be for me for daily chatting, old habits and yay responsibilities are here! 502 BAD GATEWAY

5 Aug 2009

Feels like ages ago. A lot has happened to me off-site. I'm sure a lot of people who have been ironically and unironically called 'Old-scapist' in the past have the same feelings. That was 8 years, 9 months, 9 days and roughly 17 hours ago.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
2 kids and bought a house. And stayed at the same job doe 6 years now. It's been a big life change

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Redlin5 said:
...regrettably, still like this forum format best...
I know, right? I don't spend much time on any forums at all these days, but I feel like social media in particular killed forums as a concept. Shame, because I refuse to engage in social media, and they don't offer the same format that forums do anyway.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I graduated high school, flunked out of university, got a tech diploma, worked five different jobs, briefly relocated to East Europe (twice), spent three years in the States, nearly died of parasites in Cambodia, and took assorted religious classes in pursuit of staffing them.

Escapist was a hell of a time sink through all that for eight years. Wow. Thanks, y'all.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
When I first joined here in 2008 I was still in high school. Over the last decade of being on here, I've finished high school, been through Sixth Form, got a degree, played a festival, made a funk album, taught at two schools and as of now I'm a year into my postgrad. Also got to moderate on here (twice, must be a mad bastard!)

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I finished army service when I was still lurking without an account in 2012. I got into university of applied sciences that eventually got me my rather useless "bachelor of media" or whatever it ought to be called. Then I applied to Medical School twice and got in last spring. Also I've managed to get my weight back to what it was in the army (lost 15kg, though not all at once). Been on a date once during all this time.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dang, when did I sign up? 2011?

Welp, I was in school back then. Left school, worked as a janitor for two years for almost no payment, started an apprenticeship working in tax administration, failed that apprenticeship, worked as a mailman, worked in a factory as a temp job and now I'm making another apprenticeship as a secretary where I do a lot of work for less than 500 ? a month. So, basically, my life got worse ever since I've created an account here. I'm pretty sure it's not your fault, though.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i signed up in april 2009 ? Wow, that's a long time... i had two kids, i got my first house, and sold it, so that i can buy a bigger and better house (and actually a new house, not a used one).

i was working as a sale representative in a company that were selling computers to other companies, and i hated my job. i took a nigth class to get a college diploma in computer science, and got as IT for the government in a public hospital.

i smashed my first new car in a head to head collision with an SUV (i had a yaris, which is super compact), got a new one, resold it and buy a minivan because kids.

i gave up smoking, then two years after, i started smoking again for 6 months. then i quit for two more years, then i restarted again for a year, the i quit again for a year, and i started again... now i'm planning on quitting smoking...

My dad died, my wife dad's died, my wife's grand mother died, 4 hamsters and 12 goldfish died. but i got a new cat !

so yeah, i joined at 29 years old, and now that i'm almost 39 i must say that the past decade have been really good for me in general.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
2009?!

Apparently I watched ZP (and a bit of Unskippable when that came along) for 2 years without seeing the need to make an account.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Joined in August of 2011; at the time, I?d been away from home for just over a year with the full expectation that I?d be returning within the subsequent year (still hasn?t happened,) had four girlfriends, had three cars, my cousin had a major life-changing accident, I went to New Orleans twice, I skied for the first time, I boated and watched cliff diving in Possum Kingdom, I had a threesome, I went kayaking and camping twice, I slept under the stars, I finally saw my favorite NFL team play and win handily in arguably football?s grandest stadium, I met my favorite author twice, I had to put my 12-year-old dog to sleep and became a godfather. Oh, and I ate sushi.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
cathou said:
i signed up in april 2009 ? Wow, that's a long time... i had two kids, i got my first house, and sold it, so that i can buy a bigger and better house (and actually a new house, not a used one).

i was working as a sale representative in a company that were selling computers to other companies, and i hated my job. i took a nigth class to get a college diploma in computer science, and got as IT for the government in a public hospital.

i smashed my first new car in a head to head collision with an SUV (i had a yaris, which is super compact), got a new one, resold it and buy a minivan because kids.

i gave up smoking, then two years after, i started smoking again for 6 months. then i quit for two more years, then i restarted again for a year, the i quit again for a year, and i started again... now i'm planning on quitting smoking...

My dad died, my wife dad's died, my wife's grand mother died, 4 hamsters and 12 goldfish died. but i got a new cat !

so yeah, i joined at 29 years old, and now that i'm almost 39 i must say that the past decade have been really good for me in general.
Maybe try vaping? Helped me a lot. These days I just suck on glycerin vapor with minimal to zero nicotine.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
EvilRoy said:
cathou said:

Maybe try vaping? Helped me a lot. These days I just suck on glycerin vapor with minimal to zero nicotine.
yeah i've think of it, but i'm kind in a denial state. nobody except my wife know i'm smoking. none of my coworker know i'm smoking, my kids never saw me smoke... i'm like a closeted smoker. so, going for vaping would had myself admiting that i'm a smoker.

i assure you in my head it make sense!