Your Most Annoying Case of "Forgot About His Powers."

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
cojo965 said:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForgotAboutHisPowers

Dear god is this trope annoying when it happens for drama. So where did it turn up that it was most annoying for you?

Mine would have to be Persona 4: Golden around the time

Nanako gets kidnapped.

To put it simply: "Hey retard, someone could be in danger, now is not the time to be hung up on the idea of the police not believing you. There is a TV in the fucking room isn't there? Walk up to it, stick your hand in, and blow their fucking minds."

Again, didn't play it, I watched another video because SuperJeenius wasn't uploading fast enough.
To be fair, what are the police going to do? Go in the tv, and get you stuck in whatever place they conjure up, and they'll all have to fight their own personas (and considering just how tough one of those is for a kid I can't imagine how hard it would be for several adults), and even after they win they'll be useless afterwards for at least a day, though if you showed them this ability earlier this wouldn't be a problem.
This is why I don't like keeping the status quo though, I think exploring the world changing possibility a game presents is a good thing and leads to more interesting storytelling opportunities, hell, in Persona 4
there's even a fucking god, and yet the fact that a god exists in contemporary Japan is never explored.
It's a shame really, a bit of a missed opportunity.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Warachia said:
You`re right, they should have used that sword in the city against the winged one and poisoned the entire place because the Kaiju`s blood is extremely toxic, and the city would then be uninhabitable for the next couple years (maybe just six months) while they clean it all up, good plan!
That didn't stop them using it directly over the city. What, did the blood all get carried away by the wind currents?

Nor did it stop them blasting apart another one with the plasma cannon thingy. Then putting a couple of extra shots into it for some extra splatter.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Warachia said:
cojo965 said:

Dear god is this trope annoying when it happens for drama. So where did it turn up that it was most annoying for you?

Nanako gets kidnapped.

To put it simply: "Hey retard, someone could be in danger, now is not the time to be hung up on the idea of the police not believing you. There is a TV in the fucking room isn't there? Walk up to it, stick your hand in, and blow their fucking minds."

Again, didn't play it, I watched another video because SuperJeenius wasn't uploading fast enough.
To be fair, what are the police going to do? Go in the tv, and get you stuck in whatever place they conjure up, and they'll all have to fight their own personas (and considering just how tough one of those is for a kid I can't imagine how hard it would be for several adults), and even after they win they'll be useless afterwards for at least a day, though if you showed them this ability earlier this wouldn't be a problem.
This is why I don't like keeping the status quo though, I think exploring the world changing possibility a game presents is a good thing and leads to more interesting storytelling opportunities, hell, in Persona 4
there's even a fucking god, and yet the fact that a god exists in contemporary Japan is never explored.
Dude, he doesn't need to bring the entire police force, just stick his hand in and say, "I told you so."

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
cojo965 said:
Warachia said:
cojo965 said:

Nanako gets kidnapped.

Dude, he doesn't need to bring the entire police force, just stick his hand in and say, "I told you so."
But that wouldn't solve anything though.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
Warachia said:
You`re right, they should have used that sword in the city against the winged one and poisoned the entire place because the Kaiju`s blood is extremely toxic, and the city would then be uninhabitable for the next couple years (maybe just six months) while they clean it all up, good plan!
That didn't stop them using it directly over the city. What, did the blood all get carried away by the wind currents?

Nor did it stop them blasting apart another one with the plasma cannon thingy. Then putting a couple of extra shots into it for some extra splatter.
No, it all got burned up because somehow the Kaiju carried them so high up there was enough friction (re-entry?) on the way down that the Jeager outside burned, and was charred before/after landing.

Given just how HOT plasma is (if it was a gun, you could not fire it without melting), I'd be shocked if any of those blood cells weren't annihilated.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Warachia said:
Given just how HOT plasma is (if it was a gun, you could not fire it without melting), I'd be shocked if any of those blood cells weren't annihilated.
So that's why, as they're walking away, it shows the area surrounding the remains stained in blue with only the center of the carcass burning?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
DarthAcerbus said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:
Pacific Rim. It's happened everywhere in pop culture but I'm discussing this elsewhere so it counts. If the robots have huge guns that kill the monsters in a few blasts... why the hell do they even need the robots? Just make big guns!
Goddamnit robots are irritating.
Or in the film version of the Hobbit part 2. Hey Martin F, you know you've got a ring that makes you invisible, right?
I would also say Pacific Rim, but for a different reason.

That damned sword...
That isn't "forgetting" about the sword. Pacific Rim is basically a mech anime made real In mech anime, there are certain things that Are Not Done. One of those things is using the swor at the beginning of the fight. The sword is only used at the most dire moment/when it would be coolest.

And really, any complaints about logic holes in Pacific Rim are best answered with "Shut up, this is a movie about giant robots punching godzillas from another dimension."
I totally get what you mean, I loved the movie. I'm just responding to the OP, about how there are moments where characters don't use the right weapon for the occasion.

I guess I came out sounding more scathing than I meant to.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Warachia said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:
Pacific Rim. It's happened everywhere in pop culture but I'm discussing this elsewhere so it counts. If the robots have huge guns that kill the monsters in a few blasts... why the hell do they even need the robots? Just make big guns!
Or in the film version of the Hobbit part 2. Hey Martin F, you know you've got a ring that makes you invisible, right?

That damned sword...
You`re right, they should have used that sword in the city against the winged one and poisoned the entire place because the Kaiju`s blood is extremely toxic, and the city would then be uninhabitable for the next couple years (maybe just six months) while they clean it all up, good plan! Maybe they should have used it when fighting the gorilla thing, which would have removed one of their hands, and would have let the gorilla punch them over and over again, if you remember, the reason that the first Kaiju the fight in the movie nearly beat them is because they had only one arm, they were trying to use the plasma cannon with the other which left them open, and in the final part of the movie, using the sword immediately turned out to be a really stupid idea because it left them open.

The sword/cannon isn't something that just instantly kills everything in that movie, you need to use it when your enemy has their guard down, otherwise you get your arm ripped off.
Ok I think someone has already said this to you, but firstly; they actually managed to spread the toxic blood over a larger area by cutting it open while it was high in the atmosphere. Surely that would be worse than confining it to one section of one city?
Secondly, when fighting leatherback, not only did they blow it apart in the middle of a large industrial area, but they actually emptied the entire plasma clip at it with the result that it was blown apart even more. It doesn't seem like they care much about the toxic blood getting everywhere anyway.
Thirdly, and I believe the other guy didn't address this, you say they would have had their arm ripped off if they had used it before they were picked up. I think that isn't true, I'm sure there were moments where it would have contributed well to the fight before they were picked up. And even if it was true, they could have at least used it before they were so high of the ground.
I think a much more likely explanation is that they simply forgot. They did a Derp. And that's ok, because in the end they still won. And I did actually enjoy the movie; I'm not a hater.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Corven said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
Oh! Oh, I came up with the perfect reason for why they didn't use the sword. You see, there had never been a Japanese pilot before. Think about it.
The Americans used big guns--the plasma cannon was their main weapon. We Americans like our guns.
The Russians used their fists. Russians are a strong, proud race that takes pride in their physical endurance "In Soviet Russia, we kill bear with bare hands."
The Chinese used grace and martial arts. You know, because China likes martial arts.
The Australia one, um...I don't know. He was a cocky Australia dude? Give me a break.

But what culture is always using swords? The Japanese. Did you see a Japanese pilot before Mako stepped up? Nope. Therefore, no sword. Got to keep to the culture. :)
Sorry but I don't think holds any ground, for one they're both mind melded together, so her experiences are his, so any cultural affinity towards swords would have been his a the same time. Also the mech was his and his brothers for years before, how can you use a thing for such a long time and not know every single weapon that is on board.

They just wanted a scene where the veteran was at a loss during a critical moment and the rookie showed how much they had grown as a pilot.
Gypsy Danger had been restored and upgraded since its fight with knifehead, and it had not had a sword when Raleigh and Yancy were piloting it. Mako knew about the sword and Raleigh didn't because Mako had been in charge of restoring Gypsy Danger. Also, the whole mind meld thing doesn't instantly allow both partners to know everything the other person knows. They get access to each others' memories (which they try to shut out as much as possible) and current thoughts. Raleigh didn't know about the sword until Mako thought about it, and Mako didn't immediately use the sword because Raleigh was taking the lead (as the most experienced pilot), and they had been doing fine without the sword up until that point because both Raleigh and Mako were very adaptable fighters. Sure it's still kind of silly that they didn't use the sword immediately, but there's at least a plausible explanation for it.
It wasnt in the source material, so it doesn't exist.

Basically unless the movie said this (Which they didnt or barely hinted at at best) its either not true or based on third party sources.

Also in the same movie "Gypsy is analog!"

Fucking...what? No its not, 3/4ths the technology in the cockpit alone looks like its digital.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
Oh! Oh, I came up with the perfect reason for why they didn't use the sword. You see, there had never been a Japanese pilot before. Think about it.
The Americans used big guns--the plasma cannon was their main weapon. We Americans like our guns.
The Russians used their fists. Russians are a strong, proud race that takes pride in their physical endurance "In Soviet Russia, we kill bear with bare hands."
The Chinese used grace and martial arts. You know, because China likes martial arts.
The Australia one, um...I don't know. He was a cocky Australia dude? Give me a break.

But what culture is always using swords? The Japanese. Did you see a Japanese pilot before Mako stepped up? Nope. Therefore, no sword. Got to keep to the culture. :)
While you present an interesting idea about the effects of culture on the jaeger arsenal which I have not previously considered, I was more talking about how they didn't use the sword until the most inappropriate opportunity. Namely, when they were being carried high above the surface of the earth.
Also as an Australian, I can tell you I prefer the chest missiles over a culturally influenced jaeger-boomerang. We like guns just as much as the yanks do, despite not possessing many of them.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Saviordd1 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Corven said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Sorry but I don't think holds any ground, for one they're both mind melded together, so her experiences are his, so any cultural affinity towards swords would have been his a the same time. Also the mech was his and his brothers for years before, how can you use a thing for such a long time and not know every single weapon that is on board.

They just wanted a scene where the veteran was at a loss during a critical moment and the rookie showed how much they had grown as a pilot.
Gypsy Danger had been restored and upgraded since its fight with knifehead, and it had not had a sword when Raleigh and Yancy were piloting it. Mako knew about the sword and Raleigh didn't because Mako had been in charge of restoring Gypsy Danger. Also, the whole mind meld thing doesn't instantly allow both partners to know everything the other person knows. They get access to each others' memories (which they try to shut out as much as possible) and current thoughts. Raleigh didn't know about the sword until Mako thought about it, and Mako didn't immediately use the sword because Raleigh was taking the lead (as the most experienced pilot), and they had been doing fine without the sword up until that point because both Raleigh and Mako were very adaptable fighters. Sure it's still kind of silly that they didn't use the sword immediately, but there's at least a plausible explanation for it.

Basically unless the movie said this (Which they didnt or barely hinted at at best) its either not true or based on third party sources.

Fucking...what? No its not, 3/4ths the technology in the cockpit alone looks like its digital.
I though it was mentioned that there had been some upgrades. It didn't specifically say the sword was an addition, but judging by Raleigh's surprise when he saw it I would guess that it wasn't there when he piloted Gypsy.
Maybe you are remembering it wrong. Then again, maybe I'm the one remembering wrong. I dunno. I can agree with you on the analogue thing though. Maybe it's a steampunk sort of set up?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Warachia said:
Zhukov said:
Warachia said:

No, it all got burned up because somehow the Kaiju carried them so high up there was enough friction (re-entry?) on the way down that the Jeager outside burned, and was charred before/after landing.

Heat doesn't effect radioactive material. Otherwise no one would have a problem with nuclear energy because we could just burn off the waste.

If anything burning it up just wastes good research material and business for Hannibal.

Unless it is toxic in some other way. Which it might be. I'd have to double check.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...

Anyway, the only one I can think of that has ever truly bothered me comes from Assassin's Creed III. Desmond breaks into the offices and goes on a murder rampage. These guys aren't Templars. They are security guards just trying to earn a paycheck. And he slaughters them wholesale. Then he pulls out the Golden Apple and literally walks out, not killing anyone (unless you chose to do so) because the Apple makes them back away.
Why didn't he just pull it out in the first place? As we saw, no one could touch him, so there was no risk of the Apple being stolen from him. So why did he have to murder dozens of people when he could have spared all their lives simply by holding an object out in front of him on his way in through the door? Desmond is apparently a twisted murderer who enjoys the killing for the sake of it. Probably for the best that he's dead now then.
you did that part wrong. if you blast the apple at the right moment, the group of people all shoot themselves in the head. that was such a badass moment, how dare you deny desmond his head 'splody.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Anyway, the only one I can think of that has ever truly bothered me comes from Assassin's Creed III. Desmond breaks into the offices and goes on a murder rampage. These guys aren't Templars. They are security guards just trying to earn a paycheck. And he slaughters them wholesale. Then he pulls out the Golden Apple and literally walks out, not killing anyone (unless you chose to do so) because the Apple makes them back away.
Why didn't he just pull it out in the first place? As we saw, no one could touch him, so there was no risk of the Apple being stolen from him. So why did he have to murder dozens of people when he could have spared all their lives simply by holding an object out in front of him on his way in through the door? Desmond is apparently a twisted murderer who enjoys the killing for the sake of it. Probably for the best that he's dead now then.
Sorry, how's that any different from Altair, Ezio, Connor and Edward killing any Saracen, Crusader, Florentine/Venetian Guard, Redcoat, American Soldier, or Spanish Sailor that got in their way?

Have to call bullshit: like many people, you are looking for reasons to hate on Desmond.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Saviordd1 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Corven said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...

Exactly which part wasn't in the source material? Everything I said is stuff that can be extrapolated from things directly said or shown in the movie.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Corven said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...

It was specifically stated that Raleigh was taking the lead, and we know for a fact that total knowledge is not shared - otherwise why would they ever need to talk to each other? And why would Raleigh feel the need to tell Mako that he saw her memories? And Raleigh did not know about the sword which is plenty reason to assume the weapon did not exist when he was a pilot before.

It may not have been explicitly stated that this was the reason the sword was not used, but it is a completely plausible explanation that requires minimal extrapolation of known facts all found within the movie.

Gypsy Danger uses an analog nuclear reactor - it basically dumps power into the robot and lets excess power be vented off though the chest as heat. There is very little computer regulation going on. Therefore the damage caused by the EMP could be repaired in minutes instead of hours.

Again, while the relative repair time is not explicitly stated it takes minimal extrapolation from known facts found within the movie.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Sorry, how's that any different from Altair, Ezio, Connor and Edward killing any Saracen, Crusader, Florentine/Venetian Guard, Redcoat, American Soldier, or Spanish Sailor that got in their way?

Have to call bullshit: like many people, you are looking for reasons to hate on Desmond.
No, I actually like Desmond. I like him more than the actual assassins really. Well, liked, since you know how that game ends...

My problem is that he chose to kill all those people when he didn't have to. The Assassins make it clear that they only kill when they have no other choice. Altair gets in trouble at the very beginning of the first game for breaking that rule. In all the games, you can get through them without killing the random soldiers most of the time. I always beat people up instead of killing them because I felt bad for the poor guard who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. In AC III, you actually get a trophy for not killing any guards when you attack a convey.
But let's say you're right. Desmond can kill these people all he wants. That doesn't change the fact that he still could have pulled the Apple out at the beginning and blown everyone away at the start, instead of fighting his way into the complex hand-to-hand and then remembering he had the Apple to make the trip out a literal walk in the part. It still is the same issue of forgetting you have a super power until the plot says you do.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Thomas Barnsley said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...

While you present an interesting idea about the effects of culture on the jaeger arsenal which I have not previously considered, I was more talking about how they didn't use the sword until the most inappropriate opportunity. Namely, when they were being carried high above the surface of the earth.
Also as an Australian, I can tell you I prefer the chest missiles over a culturally influenced jaeger-boomerang. We like guns just as much as the yanks do, despite not possessing many of them.
I figured that was what you were talking about. Alas, I can't come up with an excuse for that one. :)
Glad to see my joke didn't go over your head though. Other people think I'm being one-hundred percent serious why I say you need to apply massive cultural stereotypes in order to excuse the sword.