Your most BS homework assignment

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
ELD3RGoD said:
I've been given the task of making 2 fully functioning amazing games in 2 months using 2 different engines and no experience of Maya or mudbox... Yeah, not gunna happen.
If you need models, there's a load of sites where you can get user created ones free. But what sort of class are you doing that demands you do something so extravagant in such a short period of time?

crazy_egyptian

Dec 2, 2010
deshorty said:
crazy_egyptian said:
deshorty said:
I know how you feel. I had to do an extended essay - a 4000 word essay with all 'academic' sources on any topic I wanted. The problem is, the subject has to be so specific, no academic source will be able to help. Bleh...stupid IB.
Oh jesus, I'm doing THAT course, we just haven't started that bullshit yet.

But to the topic at hand, one of my teachers told us, that for homework, we were to watch the Big Bang Theory.
Now, I'm not trying to be offensive to the show or its fans, but I don't see the academic value of this unless I'm trying to learn how to write comedy.
Hahaha, thats how they drag you in. They try and make it seem fun but then BAM! CAS and EE all over the place. God help you if you take double humanities like I do.
Nope, double science and an unwanted humanity... not sure if I one-upped you or not...

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
BoredDragon said:
I'm a freshman in college at the moment and I'm taking a technical writing class. I recently completed a 5 page research paper on cyber security that was required to be single-spaced, 1-inch margins, and 12 point font. If that wasn't enough, the sources had to be "academic" meaning they had to be articles out of scientific journals. This meant I couldn't just google search my information, I had to go to special websites and hope someone had written about something that was broad enough to help me understand the fucking subject.

So escapist, I want to know if you can possibly top this assignment on the bullshit meter

edit:

forgot to mention this is a 1 credit hour class and a lot of the paper had to do with the history of the subject, which these stupid academic articles don't fucking have.

edit2:

some of you guys are making me feel better about my assignment in comparison ;)

This isn't so bad. It is college after all. I once did a a 19 page research paper on the native mound building peoples of the southern United States. Granted it was double-spaced and had a few pages for illustrations and references.

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
crazy_egyptian said:
deshorty said:
crazy_egyptian said:
deshorty said:
I know how you feel. I had to do an extended essay - a 4000 word essay with all 'academic' sources on any topic I wanted. The problem is, the subject has to be so specific, no academic source will be able to help. Bleh...stupid IB.

But to the topic at hand, one of my teachers told us, that for homework, we were to watch the Big Bang Theory.
Now, I'm not trying to be offensive to the show or its fans, but I don't see the academic value of this unless I'm trying to learn how to write comedy.
Hahaha, thats how they drag you in. They try and make it seem fun but then BAM! CAS and EE all over the place. God help you if you take double humanities like I do.
Nope, double science and an unwanted humanity... not sure if I one-upped you or not...
Yup. You have. Unless the science and the humanity are one and the same (Environment studies) Double sciences are such a *****. My friends who do chem and bio have to memorize so much stuff for the exam.

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
Most BS homework? The 20 page projects I got in World history last year that I was given maybe a week to do. Oh and any assignment that require me to fill in any personal info, no one wants to read that.

Most BS assignment the basic work for my Intro to Engineering class, projects taking 20% of total class time are about 2/3rds of the gradebook. The rest of the work? might as well be busy work for all it is worth.

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
I'm in college, and because stats apparently doesnt count towards the requirement math to take chemistry, I had to take college algebra this semester, aka the class that I took in middle school AND highschool. Every day, we have daily homework, and we turn in a sheet of paper with our name on it and any problems we didnt understand. Once they're all in, the teacher puts them all on the board and asks for volunteers to solve them, then goes to a list of people that had "claimed" that they could do the problem, with the punishment of a failed homework grade if you cant show that you know how to do it if called on.
In the entire semester, for a full 3 days per week course, I have only actually done the homework twice. I just write that I didnt understand some hard one that I'm sure no-one got, and hand it in. I have only been caught once.
I have an A in the course.

crazy_egyptian

Dec 2, 2010
deshorty said:
crazy_egyptian said:
deshorty said:
crazy_egyptian said:
deshorty said:

Yup. You have. Unless the science and the humanity are one and the same (Environment studies) Double sciences are such a *****. My friends who do chem and bio have to memorize so much stuff for the exam.
Your friends and I have a lot in common then...
*Slams head against wall*

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Last year in 10th grade, my English teacher made us take little notes on the books we were reading. We wrote them on sticky notes and stuck them in the book. She wanted like 1-2 per page. We read roughly 8 books.

And that, my friends, is the story of how I got my first D in an English class.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
Let's see... there was a review packet everyone needed to fill out just a few days before the AP exam in my AP U.S. History class. The packet contained over 100 terms, around 30 "short answer" questions, and several essay questions. The terms had to be defined in at least a paragraph's length. So, 130+ paragraphs, in a few days, and we couldn't type it. Hand-written was required.

My hand cramped half the time I tried to do anything with it for a few days after that torturous review. I still got a 3 on the the test. Haha, I R not 2 smartie, I guess. I studied far less for my AP Art History exam and got a 4 on it. Interesting, how that happened.

A funny (to me) essay/paper related story: We had a month to write a 10 page (double spaced) in Times New Roman 12 font research paper on whatever we wanted, as long as it involved new media and had academic sources. Due to my depression (I blame some supposed mental illness that plagues me, it's not my fault! It can't be my fault!), I waited until the morning it was due to start. I only reached 6 and a half pages in the 6 hours of early morning before class started.

So, I get it back expecting a D or maybe a C if I was lucky. After all, I came up 4 pages short of the minimum and didn't spell/grammar check besides being wary as I typed, plus the automatic spell-checker upon finishing it. I literally printed it 3 minutes after BS-ing the last 3 paragraphs in 30 minutes; then I printed it and ran to class.

I got a "Well done" note and a 98/100. It made me laugh out loud in my car, as I dreaded my score too much to check it in the classroom. I have always been good at BS-ing papers, but this takes the cake. My professor must secretly really like me, feel sorry for me or just rush-read my paper. It probably helped that he didn't know anything about my topic, violent video games.

Well, that was long and crappy. If you've read this far: Achievement Unlocked!: You're Bored: Be bored enough to read this post. +10 gamer cheese puffs.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
The OP's complaint seems to be that s/he has to write an academic piece. Has to be formatted properly and can't use wikipedia. Yup this is pretty low on my 'sympathy' and 'work is bullshit' meters.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
BoredDragon said:
I'm a freshman in college at the moment and I'm taking a technical writing class. I recently completed a 5 page research paper on cyber security that was required to be single-spaced, 1-inch margins, and 12 point font. If that wasn't enough, the sources had to be "academic" meaning they had to be articles out of scientific journals. This meant I couldn't just google search my information, I had to go to special websites and hope someone had written about something that was broad enough to help me understand the fucking subject.

So escapist, I want to know if you can possibly top this assignment on the bullshit meter
Welcome to tertiary education. This is par for the course.

My last assessment required at least 5 journal articles and 3 text book references. It was worth 5%.

Deal with it.

edit: Oh yeah, my mum walked out the night before my final physics exam for year 12. Shit happens, you deal with it.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Some huge paper for civics class.
After I calculated that it would only make up 1% of my total grade (seriously), I handed it in half finished.

keve4433

Not totally insane....YET!!!
Dec 9, 2009
Flailing Escapist said:
legion431 said:
Bezz_Ad said:
Well, the one I remember, mainly because it was last year.
Nude photographs of a model from the opposite sex.
Awkward.
I wish my school gave out assignments like that.
Nooooooooooooooo you don't. I don't know if their photography class is anything like my sketching class, but most of the models we get are ehwwhwhwhwhhhhhhhhh at best. And then our teach always puts them in the most revealing poses. BLEH
Now imagine that but having to do it from scratch in a 3D program. All the brainbleach in the world could ever make me forget the horror...

OT: My multimedia teacher got a call from the people that run our city's website...thing...and they want us to make the videos for it. My group got firework safety laws, but right now it's illegal to own fireworks so we can't get any footage of how to safely work with them.

mynameis832

May 30, 2011
Hyldago said:
I'm in 10th grade and i just got an assignment from my social teacher to change the world.
I think I have the exact same assignment. Civic action plan? It's due tomorrow and the teacher hasn't been here for the past three weeks... so I started it today. Ugh.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
My Spanish class had a lot of tests that consisted of memorizing the names of the provinces of the Spanish-speaking country we were studying. No reference to this outside of the tests. I got an A on every single test, and promptly forgot everything I had memorized after each one.