Your most disappointing film.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
The Last Airbender

At first I thought, a live action version of one of my favourite cartoons, what could possibly go wrong. Everything went wrong!, wooden actors, mispronunciation of names, rushed plot, that earthbending scene. Funny how Shyamalan claims to be a fan of the show, but after watching the film, clearly he doesn't know anything about the show (or how to make a decent film anymore)

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
Bring the hate, but 2001: A Space Odyssey

All the talk of how good it is and how it is a classic, I ended up watching it this year for the first time, as an educated 25 year old. I have to say it was the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. People I talk to say I didn't get it, then I explain the whole movie to them, I get it, it's still a bad film, especially the 15 minute epilepsy inducing LSD trip. Say what you want, but my position on this film and just Stanley Kubrick in general will never change.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The 3rd Matrix movie, I really enjoyed the first 2 (seems like Im one of the few who liked the 2nd one) but the 3rd one is just sooooo bad and stupid, at the end of the second movie it looked like they would pull an inception (somehow like 8 years before inception) where it turned out that what they thought was the real world was really another matrix. But instead we got crap that I can't even really remember.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Last Airbernder. That shit breaks me whenever I see it

How did we go from these manly tears:
to this, tears of sorrow and betrayal:

simonw91

Nov 2, 2011
For me it has to be Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, and (more controversially) Aliens.

Planet of the Apes was so gutting for me, I loved the original as a kid - it was my first proper sci-fi film, even before Star Wars - and along with Burton being a growing favourite director I was so geared up for this...and it was so, so bland. It's the worst kind of sci-fi film; all style and no substance, with no real reason to remake it, none of the ideas of the original franchise in the script and the decline in standards of Tim Burton's filmmaking.

As for Aliens, part of why I was so disappointed with it was the sheer amount of hype. I've heard so much about this being "one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever", "better than Alien" etc, and it really isn't. It lacks any of the atmosphere of the original, trying to compensate by having a mentally unhinged girl saying sinister things occasionally and where Scott's movie had deep, believable characters this was just the typiccal d-bag, oorahing space marines who "learn a lesson" as they realise the Xenomorphs are too powerful for them. Furthermore, the film could have done with being a "less is more" movie as opposed to throwing in as many aliens as possible. Over-saturation is never a good thing, even for 8 foot tall killing machines.

What's more, did there even need to be a sequel or franchise for Alien? Or to ask a different question, why did it take so long for the "where did they come from?" question to be asked? Now, I've not seen Prometheus but after hearing Ridley Scott's reasoning for doing the prequel I can't help but wonder why we've had to make do with "aliens kill people" for 3 more films and two crossovers and countless games.

Sorry it's a long post but I've only just got around to watching Alien and Aliens and the latter left a very disappointing taste in my mouth.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Green Lantern.

Seriously, how the hell did they manage to mess that one up?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Prometheus... what the fuck did I just watch?
This exactly. I was expecting a bit more of an explanation than what we got and I wasn't expecting it to deal so heavily with faith. Then I realized that the movie had the lead writer from Lost working on it and I understood immediately why it turned out the way it did.

Also, how the hell did the Captain suddenly know that the black goo was a bio weapon meant for Earth? Seriously, no one mentioned anything like that at all and then suddenly he just has the answer with no evidence to actually support it.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Eddie the head said:
Avatar. After all the hype it was just Dances with wolfs with blue people. Not to say the whole thing is bad but it's disappointing.
Pretty much this. Wasted time.

Nov 28, 2007
Ectoplasmicz said:
Wayneguard said:
I've heard some people say it's a good, fun film.

But the majority warn me to stay away. I'm assuming I should take the latter advice...
I haven't seen the film myself, but from what I hear, it is a decent watch if you go into it realizing it is no longer an Alien prequel.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Blitz, i'm a big fan of Jason Statham but that film could have been an hour shorter. Far too much pointless shit. The scenes with the female cop could have been cut out, she played zero part in the over all plot and she was irritating to boot.
I'm exactly the same, I thought the trailer looked amazing and then after finally finding a cheap copy I watched it last week and so much of it was far too drawn out. It was a pleasant change of pace to the usual Jason Statham plot of 'I will fight everything until the credits roll,' but then again that's the reason I watch all his films.

OT: Hellboy 2, because I had really high hopes after the first one and because Hellboy is awesome and Ron Perlman is the perfect actor to play him...then they started fucking singing Barry Manilow.

I watched it again the other week and it's actually a pretty decent film, but it still feels, as I heard it described at the time, like nothing more than a place for Guillermo del Toro to stick all the monsters he never got a chance to use in Pan's Labyrinth.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Inglorious Bastards

Two excellent movie premises - but mixing them up just made no sense IMO. Both would have been perfectly good movies on their own, for different reasons of course.

Oozi

Jan 10, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Ectoplasmicz said:
I haven't seen the film myself, but from what I hear, it is a decent watch if you go into it realizing it is no longer an Alien prequel.
Not even then, honestly.

While it is a movie I consider being a "must watch" - it's a part of the Alien series and by Ridley Scott, pretty much means you NEED to see it - I honestly can't say it being either impressive or enjoyable.

Filmed beautifully, high production values, amazingly awesome setting and idea...
Shitty story, forgettable characters, underlying themes that make you want to facepalm, stupid and/or laughable scenes and a lingering sense of betrayal.

Note, that while the computer graphics were awesome for the most part, Guy Pearces old guy make-up was sub-par. Really stood out like a sore thumb. Also, I almost started laughing at the surgery scene, it felt so much like a parody.

Every time I start ranting about Prometheus, I always start thinking about "Shutter Island". Not because they really share any similarities, but because there is an example of a well made movie. It feels like every little detail is thought out, and it makes you want to analyze them afterwards.

Anyway... biggest disappointment besides Prometheus...

Day of the Dead 2: Contagium.

I had Day of the Dead on DVD - store bought with correct covers on the case and DVD. I pop it in, Day of the Dead 2 starts playing. I was mentally prepared to watch a classic zombie movie, but got something completely different.

Here's the link - look at the score. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411269/

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Of all time? Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I don't think I need to explain why. I actually don't think Ep II is bad, and I'd put Ep III at the level of the original trilogy, but oh god does Episode I hurt. Jar Jar Binks is my most hated fictional character in anything. Ever.

Recently? Not really that much. I guess Prometheus was a bit of a letdown, but it was a movie I expected to be great turning out average, not something I expected to be great turning out to be Phantom Menace. I half-heartedly hoped Amazing Spider-Man would turn out good, but I never really thought it would, so I don't know if that counts.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Steven Kings Dreamcatcher, they completely rewrote the ending

In the book one of the main characters ends up trapped in this metaphysical world of the mind battling for control with an alien being called Mr Grey. In the end the main character overpowers the alien.

In the movie Morgan Freeman comes down in a Apache helicopter shooting rockets and blowing the hell up out of everything. Then one of the main characters morphs into an alien and fights Mr Grey in a battle royal before both just disappear.

what... the... fuck?