Your Most-Hated Enemy Power!

MDMR

Nov 20, 2011
dragons in skyrim on the hardest setting only to be instantly killed by it because it can. and will every time

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
Group attacks that knock down atleast one member of your party.
In a game like persona, where knocking down an opponent means an extra attack, having an enemy do that can mean almost certain death.

Also in persona 4, fighting shadow Kanji, his swift strike attack. Hurts the whole group for anything between 50-300 health. And when your max is like 270 by then, its a move with a high chance of insta-killing at least one member

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Problem: HE LIES! He is a Fiend, and whether by screw-up in the programming or deliberate action, his explained pattern of attack is a LIE. He's not really counting on any scale, or any interpretation of what the scale MEANS, or certainly not even what it'll say on a FAQ-sheet about him. LIES, LYING, LIAR.
This is one of the best rants I have ever read.

OT: I'm not really sure, so I'ma just answer with my most hated enemy from a game I've played recently. In BIT.TRIP RUNNER, stairs. Stairs and my inability to climb them. I have been killed by stairs more than any other single enemy.

Jan 29, 2009
erttheking said:
The ability to take a dozen heat shots to the face and not even blink, Human Revolution is a particularly bad offender.
Some dark magic has taken all the damage they SHOULD BE TAKING and is transferring all of the hurt to the immersion instead!
Ugh. That's a pretty bad one.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas are also pretty bad in some cases.
It's a .50 caliber bullet! Your head should be in little pieces flying backwards into the sunset!

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
Most terrifying boss? Nemesis from Resident Evil 3 without a doubt. When he came bursting through the wall, I just about shit my pants.

Most annoying boss power? Anything that stops your character from re-acting. Like sleep or paralysis, that shit is just annoying.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Invisibility
Mainly stemming from Farcry, I just find the mechanic annoying to deal with on enemies.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kitsuna10060 said:
FalloutJack said:
long winded reason why The Trumpeter sucks
I never had a real issue with him, but i had the benefit of the 'bible' sized strat guide, so I knew 'hard and fast' would be the order of the day, which was my general 'go-to' strat over all.

untill The Tower of Kagutschi and Noah -.- i hate this fucker, seirusly, FUCK THIS BOSS. now bear in mind i had already cleared the Labyrinth of Alma, which means beaten Beelzebub and The Metatron. (yes, Nocturne has the voice of god as a boss, and is playable character afterward, and in case your wondering, yes, he's a beast :D)

Noah's first stage fell easily enough, then we got stage 2 -.- and the most dragged out, chore of a fight in the whole bloody game, and dealing with Naoh's 'weakness swapping' (READ: only way to do any meaningful damage) while the weaknesses are changed on a predictable pattern he dose it ever turn and unless you know the pattern (i think there was a tell of some sort but its been a long times since that fight, and srsly, fuck him -.-) your pretty much left with tanking his attacks untill the elements you have on hand are effective, oh and the non elemental 'Almighty' class of attacks -.- they do dick damage , 10% of normal and everything else he's not weak to, including your basic attack, repel (the damage bounces back and hits you instead) Lucifer was easier to bring down -.-

tl/dr weakness swapping and ridicules defenses
Well, a power like switching weaknesses, I'm old hat with. It happens in FF6 and it happens in Persona 4 with Shadow Hippie Jesus, who also takes control of my characters. So, Noah is-

Oh wait. NEW ENTRY!!

The power to take control of your characters. Shadow Hippie Jesus is my pet-name for a Jesus-Savior-looking kind of boss character from Persona 4, of course, who is in reality a man whom Shadows have empowered directly, instead of manifesting HIS Shadow or giving him a Persona. It's weird and...he both switches weaknesses and will take over my friends. At one point, he had all three of them and I was forced to just stand there and block to survive.

However, the worst offender is the case of a character being taken over or altered in some way just ENDING THE GAME. This is, for instance, one of the only things I didn't like about the Ghostbusters game for PS3: The mission with the possessors. Really? All my guys possessed and me down equals a game over? Are you even aware that possessors couldn't possibly take over a character forever? That takes energy! A similar effect, I encountered in Breath of Fire 2, actually. It's a curious take on the zombie status inflicted by foes. If you wait too long, your cast can actually become monster zombies and therefore dead. I HATED THIS!

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Reading your mind, which is basically the same thing as a scripted battle you can't win ;p you attack, it blocks and counter attacks. you try to use magic, it casts reflect before, you try to block, it does something to break your guard. no fair no fun and your screwed.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
FalloutJack said:
long winded reason why The Trumpeter sucks
I never had a real issue with him, but i had the benefit of the 'bible' sized strat guide, so I knew 'hard and fast' would be the order of the day, which was my general 'go-to' strat over all.

untill The Tower of Kagutschi and Noah -.- i hate this fucker, seirusly, FUCK THIS BOSS. now bear in mind i had already cleared the Labyrinth of Alma, which means beaten Beelzebub and The Metatron. (yes, Nocturne has the voice of god as a boss, and is playable character afterward, and in case your wondering, yes, he's a beast :D)

Noah's first stage fell easily enough, then we got stage 2 -.- and the most dragged out, chore of a fight in the whole bloody game, and dealing with Naoh's 'weakness swapping' (READ: only way to do any meaningful damage) while the weaknesses are changed on a predictable pattern he dose it ever turn and unless you know the pattern (i think there was a tell of some sort but its been a long times since that fight, and srsly, fuck him -.-) your pretty much left with tanking his attacks untill the elements you have on hand are effective, oh and the non elemental 'Almighty' class of attacks -.- they do dick damage , 10% of normal and everything else he's not weak to, including your basic attack, repel (the damage bounces back and hits you instead) Lucifer was easier to bring down -.-

tl/dr weakness swapping and ridicules defenses
Well, a power like switching weaknesses, I'm old hat with. It happens in FF6 and it happens in Persona 4 with Shadow Hippie Jesus, who also takes control of my characters. So, Noah is-
FF6's barrier charge doesn't really count toward this imo cause its largely ignorable, the boss in the Magitech facility for example you can actually kill with Rasp, as well as the fact that NONE of the bosses that do that have anything nearly as restrictive as defensive set as Noah, even the boss on the fanatics tower is wasting time with a barrier charge since by then you have all kinds of fun non elemental, unblockable spells :D

which is why i pared it with 'ridicules defenses'
Oh wait. NEW ENTRY!!

The power to take control of your characters. Shadow Hippie Jesus is my pet-name for a Jesus-Savior-looking kind of boss character from Persona 4, of course, who is in reality a man whom Shadows have empowered directly, instead of manifesting HIS Shadow or giving him a Persona. It's weird and...he both switches weaknesses and will take over my friends. At one point, he had all three of them and I was forced to just stand there and block to survive.

However, the worst offender is the case of a character being taken over or altered in some way just ENDING THE GAME. This is, for instance, one of the only things I didn't like about the Ghostbusters game for PS3: The mission with the possessors. Really? All my guys possessed and me down equals a game over? Are you even aware that possessors couldn't possibly take over a character forever? That takes energy! A similar effect, I encountered in Breath of Fire 2, actually. It's a curious take on the zombie status inflicted by foes. If you wait too long, your cast can actually become monster zombies and therefore dead. I HATED THIS!
not played Persona 4, should, need to, no money :(

BoF2 had an effect like that o.0? i don't remember it.

also i'm a added that thing Wrex Soul dose, Possession, but not taking over just hiding in a character, not 'controller snapping fury' inducing but annoying enough to warrant a mention.

for those who don't know, Wrex Soul is a bonus boss from Final Fantasy 6, (not a hard bonus boss like some of the others FF is know for) his gimmic is taking possession of a character, with out taking control of them, sounds useless right? kinda is kinda isn't while your character is possessed you still have full control to fight the respawning minions. but since you can only hurt him while he's not in one of your party it dose create a minor and annoying problem. getting him out. to do so you have to attack, and kill your own party members till he shows up. yes, you read right, the coward hide in your party and only way to dis lodge him is off every one, then it becomes a game of hitting him hard and fast before he vanishes again.

this is easily worked around with going one at a time, drop one, life 2 repeat untill he shows since he stays in one place untill dislodged, so like i said, not hard, but annoying

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Possibly the final boss from Final Fantasy IX:

Necron's Grand Cross Attack. This attack is able to cast multiple random status ailments on all your party members. INCLUDING ones you can't protect yourself from. Such as Zombie, Berserk, Mini, and DEATH. That attack caused me to retry that battle at least 4 times before I finally got the bastard. Thankfully though on my second playthrough, I was smart enough to bring a bunch of remedies so Quina can use his/her Angel's Snack blue magic whenever Necron used that attack.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Miggiwoo said:
Ninja Gaiden 2. Either of the unlocked abilities. Grenade shurikens. Anyone who's been there will agree, there is no worse thing in the whole world.
This. Plus the Ninjas with rocket launcher that fire dozens of missiles at once. So annoying.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The power of luck! The Regenerators in RE4 are perhaps the best example of this. Yes i know you're meant to use a thermal scope to find which bits of them to shoot...

Where this mystical thermal scope is however is still unknown to me. Cue me blasting randomly at them with the shotgun until they have the courtesy to die properly. The one took about 20 shots before he actually died.

A another example of the power of luck can found in Persona 4, the first optional boss the Contrarian King. The best description of this fight can be summed up as "Please don't use Rampage for the love of god"

*uses Rampage*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

It's basically the reminder that yes, this game is still keeping up the SMT tradition of being hard as shit. If Shadow Yukiko didn't already tip you off.

The funny thing is Chie gets Rampage pretty early on and it's not even good she's the physical fighter as well! I call shenanigans!

Zenkem

May 3, 2009
Plot immortality. "This guy is obviously the main villain, but he just wont die! Can someone give me a quest to kill him? *sigh* Allright Lord Evilbetrayal, what is my next assignment?"

As a less meta example, Final Fantasy - Endless Nova has an enemy that attacks via judgements, like "Judgement of Death" which instantly kills your party, or "Judgement of Fire/Ice/Thunder", which kills your party by inflicting 9999 points of damage. The only way to beat it is with sheer luck of having enough of your party randomly evade the attacks long enough to kill it.

goronlink8

Mar 30, 2011
Anything that does true damage. You think you will survive something, then you realize that it ignores your defense :D

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kitsuna10060 said:
-Quite the snip-
Oh, if there wasn't a zombie effect like that that made me unexpectedly lose the game...I wouldn't be complaining about it. Also, I used X-Zone on that Wrex Soul guy. I don't like bullshitty battles.

DeadSp8s said:
-Confused User-
BZZZT! I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. See ya!

The Wykydtron said:
-Luck now?!-
As though my first entry wasn't bad enough... Well, I'm usually crazy-prepared for these things.

At this point, I think we all deserve a universal trope as an answer: Cheating Bastard Computer. This can include Eve's entry, or not. Sometimes, it's just the power of Game Developer Meddling, I suppose. The power of "All the spells you have trouble getting to work at any degree of lethality are super-effective when I use them and I'm just always better!". A good horrid example is probably ummm...all of Final Fantasy 8. I could go on for HOURS. You think the OP was big and ranty? No way. I can rant about how much I can RANT about FF8. But I won't.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Swifty714 said:
Astaroth from Soul Calibur (IV in particular). The Ability to not only hit you from across the stage is annoying, but then breaking into a combo that will always reduce you to about a 5th of your health bar. I have had the animation for the combo burned into my brain for how many times other players will use it.

Overpowered/outlandish attacks has been named.
In Soul Ccalibur II it would never have mattered. Nothing can stand up to Raphael's -> B B B.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I absolutely LOVE Doom 2, easily my favorite FPS and among my favorite all time games. There are however 2 enemies that make me want to destroy iD's building with a giant robot.
Firstly is the Archvile. He has the ability to resurrect non-gibbed demons but he doesn't use it that often. He takes 3 or 4 rockets to bring down, so he is among the tougher enemies but that is not that big of an issue since they are fairly rare. What does it is his attack. First, your screen looks like it is catching fire, then you explode for massive damage. No matter how well Piccolo has taught you, you cannot dodge it. The only way to not die is to for him to not have line of sight when it goes off, which is much easier said than done when there are a lot of demons around and a lot of other stuff to avoid. It doesn't help they often show up in areas with very little to hide behind.

While the Archvile is an asshole, the Pain Elemental is an annoying prick. He is a mobile enemy spawner that also takes 3 or 4 rockets to bring down. He spits out Lost Souls which take quite a bit to bring down, float around, and do a Sonic esque homing attack. They spit them out at a fairly decent rate if not being fired upon. When they die, they spawn a few more Lost Souls as they explode. Alert a Pain Elemental and run, then come back to a room full of Lost Souls.

Anything with an undodgeable attack or an enemy spawner is FACKING annoying.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Anything that always hits when the enemy uses it, but has the ability to miss whenever you use it.

Looking at you, Fire Blast.