Your most interesting era of history.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
The industrial revolution, Maybe it's juts because it's so steampunk,ee.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
The American Civil War. Changed the face of warfare utterly. We saw the revolver, machine gun, metal warship, modern rifle, and many other innovations come out from that. Such an interesting time.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Furious Styles said:
The 20th Century

Never has more blood been shed is a single century
Largely because there was more blood that could be shed. Before the C20, the world's population was barely more than one and a half billion, but relatively, the 19th was just as bloody in some ways... *shrug*

OT: I'm all into military history, so the Classical Era (effectively from the Greco-Persian Wars to the early Roman Empire). I've analysed most conflicts and engagements and the more famous ones half to death, but it's still hugely fun.

But my interests are usually more concerned with people, so it's generally the eras that they lived in that gets my interest by association. So aside from Themistocles through to Hadrian (ish), key personages that I've studied out of sheer curiosity are John Churchill, his good friend Eugene de Savoy, Frederick II, (most from the Napoleonic Era), Helmuth von Moltke the Elder (whose nephew was a ponce in comparison IMO...), von Francois, and most high profile German commanders from WWII.

World's End

Sep 22, 2011
Mainly Roman (Republic times) and Greek history. Also Greek mythology, although I may have forgotten more than I'd like.

There was also a period when I was interested in the early colonization of America and stuff like that.

I've also started to get interested in the ancient view (Possibly just Roman, not sure) of Britannia being some really foreign, strange place at the top of the world.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
The middle ages, Europeans killing each other, Muslims and the Chinese inventing shit and America walking along and not realizing it's about to get real rapey.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Late Medievel, Early Modern.

Just so much intresting stuff happening between 1550 and 1650.

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
Da Orky Man said:
What era of history are you most interested in? I ask for no particular reason.

Mine has got to be the truly ancient history, the early civilisations. Uruk, the Sumerian king list, he Epic of Gilgamesh. I find it fascinating how details of the early civilisations have remained to the pleasant day.
Which leads to the annoying situation that there are very few pieces of evidence from that era.
The one where we didn't have any retards in.

Oh wait.

(Trolololololo)

OT : The Roman empire, and the medieval ages for me! :D

LaramFox

May 9, 2010
Napoleonic War, Or The First World War... ...It's Debatable As To Which One's My Favourite...

Edhellen

Sep 17, 2011
Interesting as in, a place you'd want to live, or interesting as in something fascinating to read about?

For the latter, the pre-contact histories of the native americans (particularly that of the Haida). Their societies were far more complex than most give them credit for, and pretty much all of their culture was wiped out very shortly after written records of them started to appear. It's as close to a mysterious lost civilization as you'll ever find.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I love history in general, but I have a soft spot for the two World Wars, especially WW2. I love reading books that take place in England during WW2, I don't know why.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Anything before 1800-ish. I don't know why, and I know some people are the exact opposite, but there's just something I hate about modern history (Golly, there's an oxymoron). Things just felt so much less relatable and therefore more interesting back in the good old dark ages.