Your most unlucky purchase

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
My most unlucky purchase just happened a few days ago, but didn't become truly unlucky until today. Because I am completely new to Steam (and PC gaming in general), I bought the Complete Civilization IV Pack for $30 last week, and had zero clue that Steam did a summer sale. No idea whatsoever. So imagine my sadness when I found out the news, checked Civ IV's new price, and wept: a full $15 could've been saved. But alas, the damage had been done.

So what was your most unlucky purchase?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
The purchase of Bioshock 2 for £30 second hand.
It was down to £10 second hand within a fortnight, £5 second hand within a month.

My friend has never stopped reminding me about this when he sees it.
Still worth it though.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I Have No Idea said:
My most unlucky purchase just happened a few days ago, but didn't become truly unlucky until today. Because I am completely new to Steam (and PC gaming in general), I bought the Complete Civilization IV Pack for $30 last week, and had zero clue that Steam did a summer sale. No idea whatsoever. So imagine my sadness when I found out the news, checked Civ IV's new price, and wept: a full $15 could've been saved. But alas, the damage had been done.

So what was your most unlucky purchase?
Don't fear a blessing in disguise, now you won't spend as much on the summer sale and might avoid making a bad purchase and you won't have as big a backlog.

As for an unfortunate purchase of my own? Once I was grocery shopping and was looking for some creme cheese, I look at the date and it's all good but I realize it's the wrong kind. So I get the right kind from the back without checking the date because it's probably the same. I get home and it's moldy within the weekend.

Not exciting I know but I don't buy a lot of things.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Mine is similar to yours; buying Arma II just a few weeks ago when the sale started today :'] Silly me. The price barely dropped though, so I didn't lose much. I didn't expect it to, to be honest, it was selling too well at full price.

Captcha is gung ho... precisely how you do NOT want to play Arma II.

Another very unlucky purchase, though not in the same way, was when I purchased the PS2 version of San Andreas from Amazon... only for the box to contain Vice City Stories. I ended up liking the game though, so there's that.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I had one that was simultaneously super lucky and super unlucky. I bought Deus Ex Invisible War a few years back. When I got home, I tried it out to learn that my shiny new computer for whatever reason was completely incompatible with this game. I also looked at the receipt where I also learned that this game, which the sticker said cost $30, actually for some reason only cost me 50 cents. I could live with that

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well I would say that it had to be when I bought WarCraft III Battlechest, I bought it because I liked StarCraft quite a lot and after travelling all the way to Queretaro from Phoenix Arizona and finally getting to my PC, I opened the box and the disks were for WoW and Burning crusade, instead of WCIII and Frozen throne, I'm not big on MMOs so I won't under any circumstances pay 15$ a month to play that thing, it was really disappointing.
BTW that was new, it's just that the idiot in the GameStop shop put the wrong game in the box, needless to say I wasn't going to go back to the USA just to trade the damn game.

=y

May 11, 2012
This turned into a gaming discussion thread... :p

Haven't made a gaming purchase I've that regretted yet. However, the biggest disappointment I've ever had with a purchase was picking up Beyblades back in the schoolyard years. Made my set and suddenly it was out of fashion. No more Beyblades on the playground. I was crushed. Played a few times with a friend but eventually he tossed them. Still have them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Basically, I purchased FF8.

Thaaat's about my only real mistake, but it was a doozy.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
All those lottery tickets. Also, I once got my dad a new tool box for fathers day, but it was stolen because my family forgot to close the garage door.

Hawkolf

Mar 14, 2012
Assassin's Creed: Revelations Ottoman Edition... Game wasn't anything special and they fucked up multiplayer. Worst buyers remorse I've ever had.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Buying Team Fortress 2 about a day before it went F2P....

Still the respect gained from wearing that hat and the mercenary card about make up for it.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I once purchased a copy of Pokemon Quartz. If there any Pokemon fans, you should recongnize something wrong with that.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Fable III, much the same reason, bought it full price, 2 days later the holiday sale slashed the price in half.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess my is when I bought this Gundam model in this import shop. Weeks later the owner drop them down to £10 (I bought it when it was around £25).

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Baroque...
For me maybe not most unlucky but rather shittiest purchase, didn't like the game because I didn't understand it. Still to this day no idea what it is about even if I put maybe 6 or 7 hours into it... Also very repetative.