Your Opinion on Humanity.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
xXAsherahXx said:
000Ronald said:
xXAsherahXx said:
Say your an alien on a spaceship that has reached earth about 50 years after humanity's extinction. All of its records and video collections and architecture etc. are still around.

Basically, after taking in everything and getting to know how humans walked, talked and acted, what do you think?

Personally, I would be glad to have arrived after humanity's extinction.
Ah, ha, ha, ah, ha, ha...

...wait, you're serious? Tell y' what. Go watch A.I., then get back to me.
What? I'm not sure what you're telling me.
I'm saying that Stanley Kubric's existence alone validates the entirety of humanity. If you don't watch that movie without picking up some profound message, you're either mentally ill or aren't paying enough attention.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
I would be quite impressed that they managed to achieve what they did in such a short span of time. I would be disappointed that I didn't get a chance to talk to some of the great minds, superb artists, and brilliant thinkers the planet clearly hosted. They had some stupid things going on for themselves, but I wouldn't judge them because of that, since my home planet has much of the same thing going on (everyone is obsessed over this tedious young "musician"... it's pretty dreadful). I read about all the conflict that plagued my planet in history books, so I wouldn't hate them for not getting along with one another (it seems all organic lifeforms squabble at times). But, the most importantly, I would take notes about what led to the downfall of the great civilization of man so that my people might be able to avoid the same fate.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Can't really answer as I am human and have a human perspective. I have no concept of what humanity would seem like from an outside perspective, especially if I don' know what that perspective is.

What kind of alien are we talking?, what differs them from us?, what set of values do they have if any?, do they even perceive reality in the same way?.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
000Ronald said:
xXAsherahXx said:
000Ronald said:
xXAsherahXx said:
Say your an alien on a spaceship that has reached earth about 50 years after humanity's extinction. All of its records and video collections and architecture etc. are still around.

Basically, after taking in everything and getting to know how humans walked, talked and acted, what do you think?

I'm saying that Stanley Kubric's existence alone validates the entirety of humanity. If you don't watch that movie without picking up some profound message, you're either mentally ill or aren't paying enough attention.
I'll have to watch it sometime.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
sumanoskae said:
Can't really answer as I am human and have a human perspective. I have no concept of what humanity would seem like from an outside perspective, especially if I don' know what that perspective is.

What kind of alien are we talking?, what differs them from us?, what set of values do they have if any?, do they even perceive reality in the same way?.
Reverse the roles then if that helps. Perhaps you are the human discovering an extinct alien civilization. I'm going for the "outsider looking in" approach in this thread.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
xXAsherahXx said:
000Ronald said:
xXAsherahXx said:
000Ronald said:
xXAsherahXx said:

I'll have to watch it sometime.
Bear in mind it was written by the same person who directed A Clockwork Orange

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
"They did some horrible things, the individuals named 'Adolf Hitler' and 'Josef Stalin' thankfully died before they were anywhere near advanced enough to travel near our home world. And yet, they were capable of great kindness as well. Having looked over the servers of a website called 'The Escapist' I saw evidence of a great outpouring of support for an individual named 'Allison Theus', who seemed to suffer some sort of damage to her shoulder that would have made her unable to work. On the whole, I cannot say they are horrible, but they certainly are not perfect."

Koleton Nelson

May 4, 2011
Thank You! About time people start realizing the actions of 10,000 bastards doesn't mean the other seven billion are the same!

Dissolve

Garroter of Maladjusted Slobs
Apr 27, 2011
We're pretty much alright. I'm generally unconcerned with the people I don't know. I should add that I'm largely anti-social, so that makes up a lot of people.

Although, I'd wager we'd all be pretty enamored with the human race if we all took MDA.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
"What is this? 'Space Invaders what could this be about?"

*starts stage 1*

"Is this their plan against invaders from space? I must investigate."

*Game Over Screen*

"Where is this Human technology? According to this record the first few waves of the $&2%%#&ian fleet came to Earth and were destroyed. By Stage 5 of the invasion the fleet was able to overtake the 3 super ships of the Earth's Forces and bring the Earthians to a Game Over surrender. I must inform the Fleet: the $&2%%#&ians have attacked Earth and are now in possession of Earth's Armada destroying super ships. If the $&2%%#&ian combine this earth ship with their 55 ship wave technology we're all doomed."

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
"Jesus CHRIST! these dumb-asses deserved whatever wiped them out tenfold! I hope I meet a species like them JUST SO I CAN HELP DESTROY THEM."

ProfessorEkim

Jul 23, 2011
Well maybe I would find a piece of their fine literature and art, and think they were some sort of genius race with remarkable goals.

Then find a copy of Twilight or Snookie's book or something and then come to a conclusion that they were brilliant beings but some of their experiments failed, hindering their society.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I'm going to skip the novelty of this thread and jump straight to the point.

Seriously, the world isn't that bad. Humans aren't definitely evil beings. Humans are just like nature; chaotic and unpredictable. Yes, there are humans who do bad things, but there are humans who do good things. There are good people who do bad things and bad people who do good things.

Stop looking at the negatives constantly and appreciate all that is right with the world.

If I were an alien, I'd weep for a species that met its end far too soon.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
How the hell would I know what I thought? Or even that I thought at all. For me to be able to get even a basic idea of what the opinion would be like, I would have to know more about the aliens' psychology and culture.

There's no way in hell I could possibly know what I would think.

(in the case that OP is actually just asking for an opinion on humanity from MY point of view)

I would probably find it fascinating.

Human beings are the most fascinating creatures on Earth.

I, like any Biologist, would find the Human Race fascinating, and find it a damn shame they went extinct.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Tommeh Brownleh said:
"Jesus CHRIST! these dumb-asses deserved whatever wiped them out tenfold! I hope I meet a species like them JUST SO I CAN HELP DESTROY THEM."
There's something very ironic about this post.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
InsanelyZanter said:
Humanity is a miserable hoard of idiots.

But select humans? Pretty darn awesome.
Humanity is nothing but a large collective of select humans.

To say that Humanity is idiotic, is to include all of the select humans as well.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
rickicker said:
"A race that has allowed Michael Bay's "Transformers" to come into existence is a race that deserves extinction" is what my cold, logic-driven Alien brain would make me say. "A race that also allowed "video games" to exist and provide us with so much insight on human culture deserves a second chance" is what that strange twinging in my warming Alien heart would make me say.
I see zero connection between the use of logic and distaste for Transformers.

That is, there is NO connection between the use of logic and taste. The two are independent.

That being said, allowing things to happen does not establish responsibility. The only ones responsible for Transformers is Michael Bay himself and the production team.

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
Any example of the physical material and laws of the universe manifesting as self-aware, replicating, rational life forms capable of observing and understanding the universe at all is pretty damn miraculous and it would be terribly sad to find humanity dead and gone, no matter what they had done.