Your opinion: The most overused phrase in gaming.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
You have heard it countless times. Maybe once was true, or maybe it was just funny at first; but now it's less original, meaningful or funny than ever.

One example would be: "The worst game ever". You probably have heard it on several places and applied to several games: E.T., Superman 64, Big Rigs, Ride to Hell: Retribution, The Slaughtering Grounds, Dalmatians 3, etc... It seems that every year a new "worst game ever" is released too. But also it's a term overused by haters and disappointed fans, which in reality doesn't hold on.

So, which phrase do you consider the most overused?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
"this isn't a game [insert character name here]!"

often times after a serious situation said character doesn't take too seriously

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Javetts Eall Raksha said:
probably "this is just my opinion". of course it is you twat.
That is probably a response to the people who will quote you with "that's just like, your opinion, man!" when you never suggested it was anything other than that. Might as well get in first.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
While it certainly isn't the MOST overused, I am getting tired of certain characters being called mere "archetypes" simply because they have some of the same characteristics as an archetype. If that's ALL they have then it's fine, but if a fully fleshed-out character does something to remind you of a certain archetype, that doesn't make him or her an archetype.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Any time the game is said to have developed organically. Also reaching a wider audience/broader appeal.
Simulations, realistic and finally any game developer who uses nostalgia as a selling point.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
'Game'

That word is so ludicrously overused in gaming conversations that even the simple act of typing it makes me feel dirty.

I've got to go shower now to wash off this horrid stank.

PPB

May 25, 2009
"Next gen". Especially considering that it's used as meaning "current gen" 99% of the time.

I'm also starting to take issue with "genre". Sure a RPG and RTS are different things, but I think we've reached the points where genres are much more blurred than they used to be and trying to classify each game in a given "genre" leads to pointless debates.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
when advertising tries to push games onto people, i always found the words "Voxel" "precedually-generated" and to a lesser extent "Retro" as buzzwords. i mean really, just because Minecraft popularized cube-based games in modern memory doesn't mean that every game should follow it as a game artstyle. just look at Terraria, it was compared as a clone, but the housing appearances are much more varied and the platforming actually makes intuitive with a levelling-based system with visible progression.

"Simulator" might be a lesser buzzword. after countless things like Goat Simulator, Tractor Simulator and Surgeon Simulator, it seems like the games only exists are quick to produce pewdiebait.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
The only word I'm tired of seeing regarding games is 'Protagonist'. Change it up a little, we're not talking about Greek mythology here.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Innovative Gaming Mechanics/Story/Characters is mine. It seems like alot games that come out think that they have reinvented the wheel when it comes to story, mechanics, or characterization.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Gamers".

Not the most overused, perhaps, but the most egregiously misappropriated word. People claim to speak for gamers, to gamers, about gamers, as if it's not a group as broad as people who read books.

Adverts/articles/threads don't talk about "readers" as if they're a homogeneous group. The very idea is absurd. "X is big news in the world of people who read books!" "People who read books are all talking about Y!"

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
DementedSheep said:
Javetts Eall Raksha said:
probably "this is just my opinion". of course it is you twat.
That is probably a response to the people who will quote you with "that's just like, your opinion, man!" when you never suggested it was anything other than that. Might as well get in first.
Yeah, it's an unfortunate fact that unless you write "imo" or something along those lines after every single statement you make, somebody will call you out on it, and say that you're trying to state your opinion as fact. It's damn annoying, and one of the many symptoms of the inability of gamer culture (and nerd culture in general) to handle differing opinions in a reasonable manner. But you know, that's just my opinion.

A term that comes up a lot in the competitive space is "overpowered." Yes, there are cases when a clear imbalance is present, but that doesn't stop people from whining on about how whatever they are poor at facing is clearly overpowered, and damn what the statistics may say. You get this sort of thing a lot whenever a new League of Legends patch arrives. Because every single person in the comments section is so damn sure that he has the meta figured out so much better than Riot does, never mind that they have people who do NOTHING BUT study the balance of the game.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Personally, I would have to go with something simple like "bad/terrible" or "hate." They're both overused and often completely misused. Just because you don't like something or don't find it to your taste doesn't make it bad or terrible. And just because you don't like something doesn't mean you hate it. Maybe you don't like the way a game did something or you don't agree with a choice a developer made in creating a game. That's cool. That doesn't, however, mean you hate the game or the developer. Or if you really do find something involving a videogame inspiring true seething hatred, then you should really step away from the videogames for a bit and get some perspective. In the vast majority of cases, a game isn't going to inspire actual hate so stop using the word when it clearly does not apply.

The Rogue Wolf said:
"Pretentious". It's a word people use to put down games that dare to try to be more than dumb entertainment.
This is such a good one that I'm almost ashamed I didn't think about it before I read this post.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
The Rogue Wolf said:
"Pretentious". It's a word people use to put down games that dare to try to be more than dumb entertainment.
games are a mean of entertainment, any "game" that does not try to be entertaining and instead wants to push some dumb "2deep4u" message or something like that IS pretentious

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
"Causal". Used to mean something, then it got turned into a dirty word thrown around as idly as a comma., now I don't want to look at it.