Your overrated and underrated games?

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
Anyone played the dark cloud series, just got the 2nd one and am really enjoying it think thats under appreciated

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Overrated: The entire military shooter genre...
Underrated: a tie between Gungrave...
and Nier...

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
Overrated: Goldeneye (N64, not the annoying PS2 "Rogue Agent)
Underrated: Perfect Dark (N64)
don't get me wrong, Goldeneye WAS an excellent game, and Perfect Dark did effectively copy the style, but ive always thought that Perfect Dark pulled it off just a little bit better than Goldeneye

EDIT: oh, another overrated one was FF13, that was just godawful, trying to combine real-time and turnbased just killed the game stone dead

SteveeVader

Sep 9, 2010
I really don't see how people are saying Okami and Shadow of the Colossus both games everywhere got 10/10 in the uk they did and they have over 90% metacritic scores.

Overrated = Starcraft 2 and anything by blizzard except diablo 2 however playing it the other day for the first time in a couple of years it does not age well. Starcraft 2 especially since the story was half assed, predictable, the gameplay was unimaginative and literally a copy and paste of starcraft on a newish engine. Multiplayer is swarmed by trolls who practically live up blizzards ass. The idea of having to be online to play a single player makes the single player asinine as you are constantly online and any sense of the game being yours is lost.Along with it being full priced is frankly a joke.

Underrated - Mirror's Edge, the sabateur and Alan Wake - wake did not review well across the bored however in terms of scaryiness and narrative it is up there with silent hill 1. Sabateur is just extremely fun and the way colour slowly bleeds through as you curb the oppression is interesting

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
Overrated: Half life 2(bland, boring and generic FPS)

Underrated: Bioshock 2(everyone i've met hates it, but I thought it was pretty good.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Overrated: The last three or four final fantasys ( do they even follow a single story-line anymore?)

Underrated: This neat little game on the PS2 called "search and destroy" The game is really fun, but got no attention at all.

SteveeVader

Sep 9, 2010
Captain Pirate said:
Overrated: Dragon Age Origins. Shit game, simple as.
Underrated: MW2. And Infinity Ward. They get more hate than praise now by far.
OT Underrated: Aliens vs Predator. Multiplayer's sometimes shit, but when it gets it right it really does, and is the scariest, tense-ist multiplayer I've ever played and I bet I will ever play.
Sorry but did you just put MW2 is underrated WHAT THE F seriously Under.... rated. It means a product that did not sell or reach a pinnacle. MW2 SOLD OVER 24 MILLION TO DATE. you cannot class mw2 as underrated since literally ever reviewer freaking sucked its dick. Saying it is underrated is a paradox as it sold the most copies in history so quick and saying it is underrated is a paradox.

So no just no

Sorry I had to literature rage/nerdrage

SteveeVader

Sep 9, 2010
Dejanus said:
claw38 said:
(including Battlefield: Bad Company, which is pretty much the same as COD:MW)
That sentence destroys any credibility the rest of your post may have had. Those two games are night and day as far as gameplay and design philosophy go. If you had played either rather than jumping on the 'enough shooters already' bandwagon,you would know that.
Guy makes sense bad company was so so so so different from modern warfare plus the fact it was set in the 40s almost destroys your statement. Some of the homages paid like the mgs one reference is just funny

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Overrated- Quite a few but red dead redemption sticks in my mind.

Underrated- Call of duty 2, the only one with a good single player, multi player was great too.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
SteveeVader said:
Sorry but did you just put MW2 is underrated WHAT THE F seriously Under.... rated. It means a product that did not sell or reach a pinnacle. MW2 SOLD OVER 24 MILLION TO DATE. you cannot class mw2 as underrated since literally ever reviewer freaking sucked its dick. Saying it is underrated is a paradox as it sold the most copies in history so quick and saying it is underrated is a paradox.

So no just no

I did put underneath 'OT (On topic) Underrated', meaning the MW2 one was kind of a joke. Which it was. I do know it got a on of 10/10 reviews and made the most money of any game, but here on the Escapist it gets a fuckload of hate, so I mostly meant that on here it's extremely underrated. Which it is.
But no need to apologize I can see how it may have been misunderstood.

SteveeVader

Sep 9, 2010
Captain Pirate said:
SteveeVader said:

So no just no

I did put underneath 'OT (On topic) Underrated', meaning the MW2 one was kind of a joke. Which it was. I do know it got a on of 10/10 reviews and made the most money of any game, but here on the Escapist it gets a fuckload of hate, so I mostly meant that on here it's extremely underrated. Which it is.
But no need to apologize I can see how it may have been misunderstood.
Very very sorry apologies

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Over Rated: Legend of Zelda.

No I'm not trying to be edgy and contrary just for the sake of it. Link to the Past was the last really great Zelda game and ever since then they've just been remaking Ocarina of Time, which really wasn't that impressive to begin with.
I will admit that I loved Windwaker but that's mainly because the world it presented was so far removed from what I was used to in a Zelda game that I was able to overlook the "Bombs, Boomerangs, Hookshots and Master Swords" sameness.
But that quickly wore off in the sequels. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were god awful.

Underrated: Little Kings Story.

I can understand why people would overlook this game. The Wii game library is a miasma of no name budget titles and family fun time mediocrity and on it's cover this looks like another in a long line of these types of games.
A lot of the questing and combat is very similar to Pikmin where you build your army and go out into the field to overcome various threats and bring back treasure. But there's also a fairly in depth town building aspect as well.
If you're not really into Sim games or micromanaging then yeah you might not like it and I can't blame you for that.
I still think more people should give it a shot.