Your PC Essentials

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm surprised how many people would change out IE as a top number one priority, I haven't got around to it yet this install, and to be honest, it's not bugging me.

I'd probably go NOD32, so nothing gets in to eat my hard drive...
Then Steam so I can download all my old games and buy new ones...
Then iTunes so I have a constant supply of podcasty things to amuse and entertain me.

I'm no MS fanboy, I just don't think IE is as bad as it used to be, especially as MS seem to steal most good ideas and put them into a later version of their own stuff :D

Ossum

Apr 19, 2009
1. Old hard drive and new hard drive.
2. SystemRescueCD.
3. ddrescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb rescued.log

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
1:Firefox

2:Avast Home Edition + The Cracked Key for infinite time on Pro Edition.

3:I dunno.. Maybe whatever game i have on hand or whatever game i feel like playing..

LopezMeister

Apr 13, 2009
1. Adobe Lightroom 2.5
2. Spotify

I can't really think of a 3rd essential. Although I use Firefox currently I wouldn't die if I had to use IE. I need Lightroom because I need to edit/process photos on a regular basis and although most of my music collection is on CD anyway, spotify would mean that I didn't have to rip it all to my hard drive. I use Photoshop from time to time but do most of my work in Lightroom so Photoshop isn't essential.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Steam
Firefox
System Mechanic (for that new PC feeling)

There's a lot of Steam and Firefox in this thread
EDIT:I figured that anti-virus was a must anyway like an OS or drivers so I didn't post it.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
I smirk at this thread because I happened to format my PC some days ago. Let's use this as an example:

1. Firefox
2. Avast
3. Winrar