Your "Perfect Song"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
It's coming up on ten years since Blink-182's eponymous album debuted, solidifying their final evolution from toilet humor pop-punk into punky alternative rock. They've been through a lot in the last decade, including a tentative break-up and reformation after a horrific plane crash in which drummer Travis Barker barely survived.

Over the past decade, I've also changed. My musical tastes have grown far and wide, but one constant that's always remained is that Blink-182 is one of my favorite bands. Ever since Enema of the State back in 1999, they haven't released a single album I haven't loved, and I've followed all of their side-projects just as ardently; Box Car Racer, Angels & Airwaves, The Transplants, and +44.

So what's the point of this thread? Well, thinking it over, one thing I've discovered is that no matter what mood I'm in, no matter what time of day it is, no matter what's going on or what I'm doing, there's one song that I simply love to listen to. One song that I can appreciate no matter what, that I can just have reverberating in my eardrums, making me feel that everything is all right. And what song might that be? Perhaps somewhat ironically:

Ten years on and this is still what I would call one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. I can't qualify that on any sort of scale of objectivity, because it's certainly not the most technically proficient song I know and it's not the deepest or best-sung song I've heard, but the simplicity of the guitars and lyrics belie the depth behind the entire composition, and it all comes together in a way that is just... fantastic.

So, Escapambilidandoes, do any of you have songs that stick out that way in your minds? Something you can listen to no matter what's been happening, that you would place a cut above everything else for no other reason than because you just think it's flat-out amazing?

Dec 14, 2009
I have one song that always makes me feel better.

I have no idea what language the song is in, or what it's about, but I just love the sound of the whole thing :D

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I had to really think about it since I tend to listen to a lot of songs that have been with me over the years.

Old School Alice in Chains is where it's at for me, especially Facelift, but this song in particular I love to pieces.

It's just the best song ever. The guitar work is great, and I love the vocal work that's done on the song.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Man it's been a while since I've listened to that but you can't not love the "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ" bit.

OT: I have three nominations I'd put forward. No matter what mood I'm in, I can always listen to these three songs.

It helps that I love pretty much anything Dave Grohl and Josh Homme do whether they are together or apart.

Love Cornell's voice, and DAT SOLO! :D

I don't have an explanation for this, it's just awesome.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Fun fact, that's pretty much the only Alice In Chains song I actually know. :D

Daystar Clarion said:
I have one song that always makes me feel better.

I have no idea what language the song is in, or what it's about, but I just love the sound of the whole thing :D
And that was awesome. Probably have to give it multiple listens for it to really sink in for me, but definitely a really nice song. In fact, I think I'll listen to it again right now!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Man it's been a while since I've listened to that but you can't not love the "Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ" bit.
That is one of my favorite bits in the whole song. :D
shrekfan246 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Fun fact, that's pretty much the only Alice In Chains song I actually know. :D
Well you need to fix that right now, mister!

Angry Chair, Rooster, and Would? are pretty damn awesome. :D

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010

Such a fun song. Makoto herself bounces in time to it in her idle pose for some added awesome.

Oh and god know how long I've been listening to this but it's still amazing

This because Smooth Jazz is overpowered. The Katawa Shoujo soundtrack is almost as God Tier as the BB soundtrack. Almost.

This might not be a "song" exactly but DAMN IT'S FUNNY

[sub][sub]Dat goat[/sub][/sub]

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Ever since I've heard "Runaway Train" by Avantasia I've always found the song to be among my most commonly listened to songs at the time. The music just sets an excellent atmosphere that complements the lyrics wonderfully:

I'm also a huge fan of virtually everything Morphia put out during their time together, especially "Memories Never Die". There's just something about its melancholy nature and the way it handles the different vocals that just works for me:

Finally, Antestor's "Vale of Tears" will always be special to me. It introduced me to the genre, and it is still one of my favorite songs overall:

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Apart from anything the Beatles have written, Bittersweet Symphony is the best song of all time in my opinion.

Ah, it's just so beautiful.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
torno said:
Apart from anything the Beatles have written, Bittersweet Symphony is the best song of all time in my opinion.

Ah, it's just so beautiful.
Ah yes, "Bittersweet Symphony" has a soft place in my heart too. I used to listen to it a lot while playing my Gamecube back in the day. :D

MysticSlayer said:
I'm not a big fan of the slower pace of doom metal, so Morphia didn't really click for me, but Avantasia and Antestor were awesome. I'll have to look up more of their stuff I think.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I swear this woman could sing anything and make it sound beyond extraordinary.
She simply just has the most SUPREME voice to ever exist.
This song is beyond perfect to me. It's sheer and utter bliss.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Has to be a Heather Nova song, just picking one is difficult though...

I'll go for for now...

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Oh, songs I can listen to whenever?
Well, I've got some for you:

Freddy

Apr 11, 2013
http://youtu.be/kRUyRuouppw

Honestly, I think this is my favorite song of all time :)

Nomadiac

Jan 11, 2013

That moment when the drums come in...it never fails to catch me.

This song always makes me feel a bit happier, which is somewhat odd, considering that the lyrics seem to be about mental illness.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009

I don't think I'll ever be able to refuse this song. Comfortable in whatever mood I'm in, and best of all it's uplifting.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009

Never gets old, and it's probably the popest thing Jason Pierce has ever put out. Just got good vibes man. If I'm in a bad mood, it cheers me up, if I'm in a good mood, it makes me feel even better.

For a song about injecting heroin it's surprisingly uplifting. (High? Uplifting? Geddit?)

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Nouw said:

I don't think I'll ever be able to refuse this song. Comfortable in whatever mood I'm in, and best of all it's uplifting.
Just wanted to say that's an amazing remix of a already fantastic song.

That's how it's done.