Your personal mantra.

The Nossa

Jan 25, 2011
'Never stop fighting' 'Never back down' 'Don't give up'

And by heck I never plan to; even of the darkest and most hopeless times.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
TopazFusion said:
You say "murder is illegal" to yourself often? [small]Now I'm worried...[/small]

I don't have one, but something simple like "I don't care what other people think" is probably a good one.

I personally hate this one. It basically means you don't give a fuck about anyone else. You can't learn unless you listen to other people's thoughts and ideas even if they're critical of you. Of course, sometimes its better to not give any fucks so what do I know. Which leads me to my mantra:

"The only thing I know for sure, is I don't know anything at all"
From Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching, Stephen Mitchell's 1988 translation

Chapter 30

whoever relies on the Tao in governing men
doesn't try to force issues
or defeat enemies by force of arms.
For every force there is a counterforce.
Violence, even well intentioned,
always rebounds upon itself.

The Master does his job
and then stops.
He understands that the universe
is forever out of control,
and that trying to dominate events
goes against the current of the Tao.
Because he believes in himself,
he doesn't try to convince others.
Because he is content with himself,
he doesn't need others' approval.

Because he accepts himself,
the whole world accepts him.

Chapter 44

Fame or integrity: Which is more important?
Money or happiness: Which is more valuable?
Success or failure: Which is more destructive?

If you look to others for fulfillment,
you will never truly be fulfilled.

If your happiness depends on money,
you will never be happy with yourself.

Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.

*******************​

One of the most common criticisms in modern society is people's obsession with superficialities. Despite the criticisms made against people spending so much time and energy worrying about the opinions and judgements of others, especially those given by utter strangers, society hypocritically classifies those who strive to break away from such superficialities like you did: "It basically means you don't give a fuck about anyone else."

I used to date a professional counselor who treated abused mothers and wives. According to her one of the most important milestones in helping abused women escape from the cycle of abuse was developing a strong sense of self respect. In order to do this it was crucial to build a mindset into such victims the realization that their personal self-worth did not depend upon the approval of others.

Something to think about, yes?

Edit: @PoolCleaningRobot: This is food for thought for all of us. I don't want you to think that I missed your qualifier: "Of course, sometimes its better to not give any fucks.". :)

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Copper Zen said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
TopazFusion said:
You say "murder is illegal" to yourself often? [small]Now I'm worried...[/small]

I don't have one, but something simple like "I don't care what other people think" is probably a good one.

I personally hate this one. It basically means you don't give a fuck about anyone else. You can't learn unless you listen to other people's thoughts and ideas even if they're critical of you. Of course, sometimes its better to not give any fucks so what do I know. Which leads me to my mantra:

"The only thing I know for sure, is I don't know anything at all"
From Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching, Stephen Mitchell's 1988 translation

Chapter 30

whoever relies on the Tao in governing men
doesn't try to force issues
or defeat enemies by force of arms.
For every force there is a counterforce.
Violence, even well intentioned,
always rebounds upon itself.

The Master does his job
and then stops.
He understands that the universe
is forever out of control,
and that trying to dominate events
goes against the current of the Tao.
Because he believes in himself,
he doesn't try to convince others.
Because he is content with himself,
he doesn't need others' approval.

Because he accepts himself,
the whole world accepts him.

Chapter 44

Fame or integrity: Which is more important?
Money or happiness: Which is more valuable?
Success or failure: Which is more destructive?

If you look to others for fulfillment,
you will never truly be fulfilled.

If your happiness depends on money,
you will never be happy with yourself.

Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.

*******************​

One of the most common criticisms in modern society is people's obsession with superficialities. Despite the criticisms made against people spending so much time and energy worrying about the opinions and judgements of others, especially those given by utter strangers, society hypocritically classifies those who strive to break away from such superficialities like you did: "It basically means you don't give a fuck about anyone else."

I used to date a professional counselor who treated abused mothers and wives. According to her one of the most important milestones in helping abused women escape from the cycle of abuse was developing a strong sense of self respect. In order to do this it was crucial to build a mindset into such victims the realization that their personal self-worth did not depend upon the approval of others.

Something to think about, yes?

Very interesting indeed. But I'm mostly referring to the naive people who don't think they need to listen to anyone. Not so much "I don't care what you say, I'm gonna become a doctor!" so much as "I'm dressed like a homeless person and have earrings the size of door knockers and I run around saying stupid opinions because I don't care what people think!"

Research shows that more kids today suffer from issues related to having too much self esteem rather than too little. This causes problems when they try and fail at something because of the false belief that they are at their best and they don't try to get better at things.

But yes. I definitely believe that someone can only be truly happy if it comes from a respect they have for their self

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I have 2.

The first one is simply "If it ain't one thing, it's another," and YES it's "ain't" not "isn't." It's something that I just say all the time when something goes wrong cause...well alot goes wrong in my life so I try to keep calm by saying "if it ain't one thing, it's another" with the thought that there's no point in getting upset about the one thing cause if it wasn't the one thing, it would be another.

Then the other mantra is "take what you can get." It's not a malicious,greedy thing, just if you can get something, legally and morally, go ahead and take it cause you need all the help you can get.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
A couple come to mind.

The first I use at work: "Ugh I need a drink."

The next I use at home: "Son of a *****, I need a goddamn drink!"

Captcha: Do you shop at Canadian Tire?
FUCK YEAH!

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
"Myeh, don't worry about it," is probably my main one. It's easy to get worked up about things outside of one's control, and I'm pretty damn sure that that mantra's ability to remove my stress is the only reason I don't have the abominably high blood pressure and cholesterol that runs in both sides of my family. Especially considering how shitty my diet is. :p

Another one that I remind myself of every now and then is "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent," from Isaac Asimov's Foundation. It's easy to just punch problems, but it usually leads to unsatisfactory results.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I tend to say something along the lines of "not dead yet". I try not to say it out loud as I think it could freak people out.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I generally put myself down a lot.

So stuff like, "I don't deserve this body I have been given", "I don't don't deserve ------ being nice to me", "I am a weak pitiful person".

Stuff like that!

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
These days I keep repeating to myself
"GLORY or a GLORIOUS FAILURE"
Myeah I'm in the final exams, wish me luck

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
"Suffer not the witch to live"

Its from both Leviticus and Warhammer 40k and I like to say it because I've always loved stuff to do with religious fanaticism, plus it sounds cool.

Oct 2, 2012
"killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill"
Its what I repeat to myself when I get angry to prevent myself from going into a rage. The constant repetition keeps my mind focused and the violent images that accompany satisfy my angry bloodlust.

When I'm not enraged but struggling I repeat "To live is to fight, to fight is to earn my life. all life dies but I will fight to the end and be the last one standing."

It keeps my spirits up and helps me excel in times of need. Also helps get me pumped up for a fight.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
"Just one more level."

On a serious note, it would have to be "Silence indicates nothing," meaning if you say nothing, they have nothing to oppose. I like it personally, because I think silence is a good way of showing indifference. If I have no real opinion, I stay silent. However if I have an argument or opinion on the subject in question, I could rant for hours.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
shrimpcel said:
These days I keep repeating to myself
"GLORY or a GLORIOUS FAILURE"
Myeah I'm in the final exams, wish me luck
Unless you plan to make an assassination attempt on your professor by slicing his throat with the exam, it's doubtful you will attain either.

Zenomorph

Jul 12, 2010
"I've got a bad feeling about this."
that plus my unrelenting paranoia and unrelenting distrust for anything the slightest bit suspicious has saved me too many times to count ... mostly when playing pen and paper RPG's with my friends.

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
"Impossible is only that which we have yet to imagine."

As a lucid dreamer without choice I need to keep telling myself this.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

Copied from Plato/Socrates, of course, but it pretty much defines my philosophy and views on almost every topic. So that.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
"Don't do that, it's a really stupid idea and something bad will happen."
"Trust no one"
"Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur"
"Be better than them, always."
"The voices are my only real friends"

The voices, they tell me to burn things they do

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
"Always assume you're wrong." It really helps with not getting angry at people, and you eventually teach yourself how to deal with the people that make you angry.