your personal philosophy?

Original Bubs

Mar 18, 2010
"Look at everything with humor."

I've never had anything that I consciously knew was an awful occurrence get me down whenever I followed that little snippet, but without it I couldn't be bluer.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Dr Snakeman said:
Wait... are you the Todd?

Dr Snakeman said:
Esotera said:
OT: probably something along the lines of the Hippocratic Oath, but more open to hedonistic interpretation.

That... actually sounds completely terrifying. And also awesome. But still pretty terrifying.

How does that even work? A hedonistic doctor?
Should probably clarify that I'm not actually a doctor, just that the "do no harm" part of the oath seems to be a good way to live life. But if I'm in a bad mood then that can all go out of the window.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Original Bubs said:
"Look at everything with humor."

I've never had anything that I consciously knew was an awful occurrence get me down whenever I followed that little snippet, but without it I couldn't be bluer.
So...basically the Jokers philosophy minus the anarchy, chaos and murder?

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
"Dont be an asshole"
"Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams." Yamamoto Tsunetomo

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
If you have to do it at some point, why not do it now, in other words, may as may as.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Yeah. It's "Forget philosophies, everyone is a hypocrite anyway."

It's like roleplaying in Morrowind. You start out, everything goes well:
"Oh, well, I can steal this tower shield of fucking awesome, but would my paladin steal? No, sir."

Three hours later, and it's:
"Wwwweeeelll... I mean, my guy has to eat to protect the innocent, right? It's ok to take the odd silver dagger"

Then, later still:
"Fuck me, it's easy to kill these guards for money"

...Not sure exactly what my point was, but whatever it was, it amounted to that I don't bother trying to live by a code, because I'll probably break it. If it works for you, that's cool, and I respect you for it.

Debirufisshu

Oct 5, 2010
'Fuck it, that'll do'

This is always my philosophy when I am annoyed at work.
What? you want things to be done properly? NO, I can't be arsed.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
Something tells me you people dont actually understand what a life philosophy is. This is going to sound pretentious (probably because it is) but if you can sum your philosophy up in a custsey poo catch phrase you may want to go back to the drawing board and think on it a little more.

My personal philosophy really revolves around some of the ideas put forth by the Greek philosopher Epicurus, though watered down quite a bit. The utmost goal in life is to seek pleasure, but excess of pleasure can be unbalancing and lead to displeasure, so it is important to live ones life pleasurably, but with an eye towards moderation.

I am also straight edge, for several reasons. As mentioned above, alcohol and drugs tend to lead to excess, which brings with it ultimate displeasure. But I also have a strong philosophy of self control, and anything that removes my wits is ultimately a bad thing.

These are but a fraction of the philosophies I live by. And I think if you really think about it, you will find you have far more meaningful ideas then "do what you wanna do, be who you wanna be." - Which is really, in essence, a completely meaningless statement.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
I don't think my personal philosophy can be reduced to a single phrase, and my good friend Plato the Platitudinous Platypus is too drunk to be any help, so this won't be at all clever or original: Always, always consider the consequences.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Rnr1224 said:
do any of my fellow escapists have a personal philosophy or mantra that they stick to? mine would probably be "do what you wanna do, be who you wanna be."
what would yours be?
Survive. Watch the Illusion shatter and whole world burn. ;)

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Don't try to live up to other people's expectations because you'll only wear yourself out. If you are satisfied with the way things are, then enjoy it, because life is all about finding your own happiness. But don't be selfish in that respect either; other people deserve their happiness just as much as you, so don't be a dick and ruin that for them. I know the "Golden Rule" is often only brought up as a joke, but it's called the golden rule for a reason. You'd be surprised just how much adhering to it makes your own life better.

That was a bit of a mouthful, so I'll just condense it a bit.

1. Find your own happiness.
2. Respect yourself.
3. Respect others just as you respect yourself.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
If something bad happens to me during my day that generally isn't something I should worry about I just say: "If that's the worst that's happened in the day then I'm going pretty good."

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
'Shit happens' 'Soldier on and suck it up' 'Sometimes bad things have to happen so good things can happen'