your posting/typing speed....

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
According to Tippy's link, my typing speed in English averages at about 60WPM. That's as a non-native speaker and using only my index & middle fingers since I never learned 10 finger typing. Funny thing though, I'm slightly faster in English than I am in my native tongue, as that averaged to 54WPM.

As for how long it takes me to post something, that can vary immensely. Sometimes it takes less than a minute, sometimes it takes me hours, since I have this tendency to stop typing and go do something else for a while when writing up a longer post.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Corrected CPM: 458. WPM: 92, as a non-native English speaker. That's pretty meh considering I'm bone tired, I usually cap at 100-ish.

Funny thing is that in Dutch, my native language, I only write CCPM: 361 and WPM: 72. Welp. I don't know, English is just easier. Helps that I use it a lot more in writing.

But I never had typing classes either. I just learned how to 10-finger type myself. A matter of using it a lot, there was a time I spoke maybe two/three sentences a day and almost all my communication was online with people abroad.
KenAri said:
Index finger only (Except I use my pointer for Space), 97 wpm. Been typing since I was about 4 (Reader Rabbit, all right!) and I really wish I'd forced myself to learn to do 8-10 finger typing in some of these years. But I suppose this will be fine for a while longer..

EDIT: Native English speaker, for those that are curious.
That fast with just your index finger? Man that must look funny.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Native English speaker here.

I never learned to ten-finger type. I use my index fingers for pretty much everything: right for TGV onwards, left for keys before that. Exceptions are that I use my right middle finger for special keys such as enter and the number pad; my left middle finger for tab; my left little finger for shift and control and my right thumb for the space bar.

I have a words per minute of 50 according to tippy's link. My dad has also described me as the fasted two-finger typist he has ever met, though KenAri seems to be able to top that.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
62. And I AM a native english speaker. So pretty meh, really. Oh well, fast typing wouldn't do me much good, I think long and hard about what I'm going to say before I say it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Kolby Jack said:
I never took a typing class growing up, apparently being in the perfect "born in the late 80's" window where it was never required in any of my school years. As such, I don't type conventionally (I mostly use my index fingers), but I have spent enough time with computers that I type reasonably fast anyway. I definitely don't sweat my words per minute or anything like that; once you've signed on to communicate through text, you've already accepted the inherent slowness of it. Words-per-minute is only important if typing is actually your job, like a stenographer or something.
Basically the same. Never took classes, but looking back I don't feel I missed much. I don't type that much slower with my index fingers than many people with all of them and generally with fewer mistakes.
Cowabungaa said:
Funny thing is that in Dutch, my native language, I only write CCPM: 361 and WPM: 72. Welp. I don't know, English is just easier. Helps that I use it a lot more in writing.
I've noticed that too. ~80 WPM for English, ~65 for Dutch for me. Must be international keyboards being awful for Dutch.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I can be a fast typist, despite the fact that I rarely use anything besides my index fingers and thumbs, apart from a couple keys (such as the E and S keys, on which I sometimes use my middle finger). I never learned to "five-finger type", and my home keys may as well be WASD. However, I tend to be very methodical with my typing; I like to think about what I'm saying as I type, and I like to make sure that I don't make many mistakes, because I find that it's faster just to not make the mistakes in the first place than to go back and correct all of them.

Johnoldman

Feb 9, 2015
Sealpower said:
Extremely slow and further limited by my brain's inability to efficiently come up with what to type.
I can not say that I am very fast. But it helped a little http://www.ratatype.com/learn/