Your rule for dating.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
So, I've looked for something like this thread and there've been a few asking what's socially acceptable, but here's my question: How much older/younger a person than yourself would you go out with?

Well, I'm 18, but I'd only go out with a girl who's 17-22, because anything younger than 17 is just weird, and anything older than 22 is a bit too much older than I.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Fairly sure we've had a number of threads regarding this.

Only a matter of time before the 'half age +7 yrs' thingy gets brought up.

Personally, I've only ever dated girls who were a few months older or younger. But that's kind of irrelevant. Emotional maturity of individuals in question is more important than physical age (but keeping it legal, of course...).

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I think it depends. For example, my parents have 7 years between them, but if I was with a girl that was 7 years younger than me...she'd be 12...and that's not cool, man. Not cool.

For my age now I wouldn't go for anyone younger than 17, or older than...probably 22, although personally all of my girlfriends have been either the same age or one academic year younger max. I remember when I was at school you'd have year 7s dating year 11s (that being a 12 year old with a 16 year old). It's just weird...I mean, there was even a guy at my college who was with a 14 year old when he was 18. I just don't really get it...

A friend of mine is 18 and she's with a 32 year old (although in his defence he has the maturity of a 17 year old. No, that is not a good thing. Seriously, he gets stupidly jealous whenever she even just speaks to us!)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I have one rule, and one rule only, but it is vitally important. It is infinitely crucial to my sanity and wellbeing, so much so, I'd say I can't function without this rule, my golden rule of dating;

Don't.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
How many years usually isn't a big deal, but which years those are is. 5 years doesn't seem like much, but if you're 19 and she's 14, there's a problem. If you're 25 and she's 20, nothing wrong.

But if you're older than 30, and you're looking at younger than 20 it's starting to get creepy.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
SckizoBoy said:

Personally, I've only ever dated girls who were a few months older or younger. But that's kind of irrelevant. Emotional maturity of individuals in question is more important than physical age (but keeping it legal, of course...).
Stole my words, if I like someone that way I'll ask them out regardless of age. I'm not attracted to kids and most teenagers piss me off so I'm safe from dating someone to young.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
oh the trolling opportunities. so very many. while 1/2 +7 works as a rule of thumb, if it works it works, the age gap is pretty irrelevant.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Midnight Llamaman said:
As long as you're happy and legal, who cares.
It's way more complex than that.

This is going to sound obnoxiously arrogant, but on average (as with everything, there are exceptions) a 22 year old is going to be more emotionally mature than an 18, 19, and often even a 20 year old.

I date based on emotional maturity at this point. I dated a girl last year who was 19, but had the emotional maturity of a 16 year old. I didn't see it at the time, but I grew to realize it. I'm never dating a girl like that again.

Contrary to that, there's a girl I know right now that is 18 who I would go out with, as she's more mature than your average 18 year old.

So to more directly answer the OP... I would very, very rarely date a girl under 21 at this point. But I would never, ever date a girl under 18. That's, you know, illegal and creepy.

EDIT: I also probably wouldn't date anyone over two years older than me. I'd like to go through life on a more even playing field. You know, go through life's changes together. I know, it seems like a bit of a double standard there (I forgot to mention I was 22 myself) as I would date an 18 year old depending on maturity, but think about it... it's cool for an 18 year old to be more mature than their age. But for a 26 year old to have the maturity of someone around 22-24? Eh... not so much.

But like with everything, there are exceptions.

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
If middle school is involved, don't. Just don't.
If it's high school no more than a year apart as it tends to get a bit awkward when between grades.
If both people are over 18 I'd call it at 5-9 years either way.*

*Obviously I mean that if the younger person involved is at least 19. Either wise that's just creepy.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I'm 29 and the girl I'm into is 21.

Since I went back to school and am working on my undergrad we are on pretty much the same life stage. Neither of us have any real relationship experience either.

She's a gamer which is awesome but when we were talking I realized that she hasn't played any of the great PSX games.

When I was 18 years old and a senior in High School playing Xenogears, she was 10 years old in 4th grade playing Mary Kate and Ashley.

Looking at it that way, it's very creepy. But now she's a grown woman and plays real games so it's all good. A few days ago she was at my apartment playing Secret of Mana; good times.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
At my age, 17, anyone younger than 15 is weird, anyone older than like 22 is weird.

WHY CAN I NOT SPELL WEIRD.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
SckizoBoy said:

because its perfect its so accurate :p well unless your to young to be dating to begin with

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
Being 24, I'd never date anyone younger than 20.
A friend of mine, he's 25, is dating a 16 year-old, which I think is rather awkward.
I've recently fallen for someone 8 years older than me, so being much older than me isn't such a big deal as I thought it would be.

I have only one true rule: I will never date someone who smokes.
Never. It's a sign of a weak personality to me.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
sin(your age)*10

the paedophile approach

No really, half age + 7 is pretty perfect, though when you get older it isn't really that important. just make sure your partner isn't like 20 years younger than you or something.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
My rule for dating?
Avoid at all costs, working well for me right now.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Doclector said:
I have one rule, and one rule only, but it is vitally important. It is infinitely crucial to my sanity and wellbeing, so much so, I'd say I can't function without this rule, my golden rule of dating;

Don't.
I agree with this.

OT: Two years younger or two years older is as far as I'd go. Though it's irrelevant, because I don't plan on bothering with a relationship anytime soon.