Your Saddest Game Ending [spoilers]

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
I know this thread has been made before, but the most recent one I could find was from three years ago and I'm interested in seeing what game endings people find the saddest.

Some my obvious picks are, of course, Red Dead Redemption and Metal Gear Solid 3. Those two games nearly had me in tears.

Some of the less obvious ones would have to be Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (the blank points ending) and probably Persona 4. I get that there is a happy element to both of these endings, but something about both of them upset me. The evil ending (more so the general storyline) to The Suffering got me too.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Persona 3. Fucken Persona 3. That ending was so kind and sweet, initially. And then, I realized what actually happened. That was like a punch to the guts!

Also, one of Front Mission 3 ending. In one of scenarios, Main Protagonist's step sister sacrifices herself to destroy a certain super weapon. Some time later main hero stands in a field and promises himself to move forward with his life. And then, that music starts...
<youtube=GdSPJ47TyhI>

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Well, there is one that still haunts my dreams. No, seriously, I just had a dream where
I was trapped in a room of enemies and I told Clementine to go on without me.
The Walking Dead refuses to let me move on.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
"I have committed many crimes across many lifetimes. I go now to a place of punishment. You cannot come with me."

Though to thoroughly convey the sense of finality that comes with those words I'd also have tot thoroughly spoil it, which I do not want to do.

And that's the good ending.

Anyway, go play PS:T if you have some time to kill ^^

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, I have just finished The Last of Us, and it has left me with one jumbo knot in my stomach.

It's extremely sad, but not in the traditional manner.

"...I swear."

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Xenosaga episode 3 . The first and only game to make me cry . Like a little ***** . This was last year . The tears kept flowing.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
I still have not beaten Bastion. When come to the final choice, I could not make either, and thus it still sits in my Steam account, left in limbo. Little Inferno was the same way..

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well I cried three separate times during Persona 4's ending sequence. As in I started, recovered then got set off again by something else. The damn photo at the end got me...

Oh and Hanako's route in Katawa Shoujo. I don't think the *end* end of her route is sad, quite the opposite actually but the entire ending sequence is quite sad up until the very, very end where everything works out fine. I only teared up a bit in that though, surprisingly enough.

The ending can be summed up as:

"Why don't you let me understand you?!

"Why don't you let me understand you?!

"..."

"..."

"I LOVE YOU HANAKO!"

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well, I actually finished Bioshock: Infinite the other day, and that's got to be up there for recent sad endings.

I actually teared up at the point where you see Elizabeth's little finger getting sliced off by the closing tear. And then that's followed by an even more melancholy conclusion, too.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core.

And I never cry for games or movies before.

Mourning_Star

Egotistical Jerk
Sep 4, 2011
inFamous 2. Both endings.

With the good ending, Cole sacrifices himself to stop the plague, and, judging the events of Second Son, is also despised by everybody except New Marais for his actions. In the bad ending, he's forced to kill Zeke in his quest for power.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Every possible ending to Spec Ops: The Line. Seriously. Even the "best" ending is still heartbreaking while the rest are downright depressing.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008

Yes, you read all of that correctly. Your entire party really does die in an ambush. The only other game I can recall that pulled anything close to this is Dragon Quest 5, and in that one the main character still lived to see his children and grandchildren succeed where he couldn't.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Fallout 3. Come on, that ending slideshow with the narrations and everything that sums up your travels of the wasteland so emotionally.
'So ends the story of the Lone Wanderer, who stepped through the great door of Vault 101, and into the annals of legend. But the tale of humanity will never come to a close, for the struggle of survival is a war without end- and war... War never changes' Holy shet that's good.

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
Fallout 3. Ho damn... For some reason, I felt much more connected to the Lone Wanderer than I did to the Courier, and the last little twitch as you slump to the floor of the reactor--as you see the statue of Jefferson through the irradiated waters--is absolutely heartbreaking.

Bioshock Infinite. The pain in Booker's voice as he tries to get back the young Elizabeth, and then his resigned acceptance as that... thing happens at the end.

Oh, and the ending to Bastion of course.