Your scary ideas

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Let's say you work for a big game company, and while working on a game, your boss bursts in the room and says he/she wants a very scary scene, one that after peeing there pants, someone will say that was amazing. He then jumps out the window and flys away. The point is, you need to make at least one scene in your game to scare the player.

My ideas
1. Establish some sort of save spot. Some type of room that when you go in, you stare at the save menu, and you are safe from the rest of the world. Make the player feel like nothing can touch them. Now, in the middle of the game, while the player is in one of the save screens, the controls become non-responsive. Then suddenly, a hand bursts through the screen and grabes the character. You will have to fight him/her off. Not only is this a shock scare, but it causes the player to suddenly lose the feeling a safty while in the room, and through the rest of the game is afraid to use save spots.

2. Your character walks around normaly, in 1st person, and sometimes complains about his/her head. Near the end of the stage you look into the water and see there has been some monster riding on your head this entire time, and when you see it, the monster freaks out and starts to shake and hurt you.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT ARE YOUR IDEAS

Prized Cup

Jan 12, 2010
This just occurred to me so tell me what you think:

Emaciated hands very slowly edge from behind without a musical cue followed by some laboured breathing.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Actually I was on Left 4 Dead 2 today and an idea came to me like that. You walk around a corner and you see a hunter or some sort of monster crawling around in the dark. The second that you see him, your mouse stops working. Your keyboard still works so you can run around but you can't look. You only regain control of the mouse right before he attacks. Sort of like Eternal Darkness.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
Okay, how about a relatively quiet, low toned level in what seems to be a relatively calm game, suddenly a fucking monster pops up from above screen upside down style like right in your face and yell really loudly like
"FFFFFFFFARWEA!"
and then the game descends into mindfuck central.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
A scene where nothing is certain and the same sounds and cues that monsters are around is played randomly.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
You play through an entire game that's in a dark creepy setting, perhaps you have to solve a mystery of some sort. There are plenty of shadows you see moving around, and creepy noises and musical cues, but you don't encounter a single enemy until about 3 hours in. You bet your ass that when that monster finally appears the player will shit their pants.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
You're in a house (similar to the one at the end of Condemned), in a very, very remote place, in the black of night. The house is close to a ledge that is eroding away very rapidly that the house will collapse within a couple hours from when you start playing and every couple minutes you can hear and feel it happening. The house is possessed by a character like psycho-mantis (talks and mocks you as you try to escape) and locks all the doors and shutters with extreme force protecting them so those points of exit are out of the question. You have to find your way out. If you fail, there's no restarting unless you start the whole game again so it has the Heavy Rain element. This is all in FPS.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
A simple chase scene through dimly lit, twisty and dangerous passages. Only, even though you're till controlling your character, the camera is from the monster's perspective so you can't get too much of a lead because you'll run into a spike pit, and you can't go too slow because you'll get eaten.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
oppp7 said:
A scene where nothing is certain and the same sounds and cues that monsters are around is played randomly.
Hahaha. I like it Johnson, you've got the contract!

EDIT: Can we make the whole game like that? Without redundancy, like a randomly spurting soundtrack then almost unnoticeably it fades into silence, and then crashes up again. Like, the player doesn't realise the music is gone and then it shocks them to have it come back suddenly!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
The walk into a room, the screen goes grey, you only hear the sound of your main character's labored breathing after a hard fought fight.
You see feint hallucinations of mutated people rushing at you as you make your way to the door: Your dead spouse, clowns, nurses, knife weilders.

You make your way to the door at the end of the room, you find only a wall. Music suddenly starts playing, a light violin playing eerily, you make your way back to the door you came in. The screen suddenly returns to normal, the music reaches a crescendo and suddenly someone bursts through the door, he's got a knife and he guts you. You slump over dead, as the camera pans up to see his face, you realize he's you, and you just defended yourself from an attack by a madman who drugged you, causing you to see all those things you just saw.

You trudge forward, the door at the end of the room is clearly visible, you take one last glance at the dead body, it then leaps up and strangles you to death. Game Over, all your data was erased.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
You hire people to break into the house of whoever bought the game and chase them around the house with a rubber knife, they don't know it's a set-up so it's scary...

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
RatRace123 said:
The walk into a room, the screen goes grey, you only hear the sound of your main character's labored breathing after a hard fought fight.
You see feint hallucinations of mutated people rushing at you as you make your way to the door: Your dead spouse, clowns, nurses, knife weilders.

You make your way to the door at the end of the room, you find only a wall. Music suddenly starts playing, a light violin playing eerily, you make your way back to the door you came in. The screen suddenly returns to normal, the music reaches a crescendo and suddenly someone bursts through the door, he's got a knife and he guts you. You slump over dead, as the camera pans up to see his face, you realize he's you, and you just defended yourself from an attack by a madman who drugged you, causing you to see all those things you just saw.

You trudge forward, the door at the end of the room is clearly visible, you take one last glance at the dead body, it then leaps up and strangles you to death. Game Over, all your data was erased.
You dick! I'd be pissed.

ReincarnatedFTP

Jun 13, 2009
I'd make a game called Fugitive.

Basically, your start out in dystopian future America. A dictator has taken power over the UN and thus, the world (suspend reality plz). Anyways, in the wave of resistance, martial law has been declared. Infantry troops, often unaccompanied by vehicles, just patrol the streets of your LA-esque city. There are special political para-military black op groups that hunt down and kill dissenters.

Anyways, you start out the scene in a doctor's office. As you lie down to get a "flu shot", people in masks break in and shoot you doctor, and take you away. You wake up in a random cookie-cutter house in the middle of a suburb on the outskirts of the LA-esque city. You figure out that the guys who rescued you are old friends of your brother's before he was shot to death in a riot.

Anyways, on to the scary mechanism. The game is called "fugitive" because you can't stay in one area of a certain distance for 10 minutes without paratroopers or assassins hidden somewhere around you start attempting to kill you. Noone warns you of this, not even before the first time. It just happens. Assuming you stay busy, the one time you do sit still it'll scare the hell out of you.

It's also a cyberpunk future, so if you're logged into a computer doing virtual stuff for more than ten minutes, it still counts. So let's say you go in there to talk to a character (the dialogue is FO3 tree style) and it lasts 9 minutes and 20 seconds (you had to find the virtual reality club to talk to him and virtual downtown is big). Then it takes you 40 seconds to walk down the stairs. You'll hear guards burst through the second floor, gunning for your ass.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Well I suppose this is subjective to what you find scary. So for me it'd probably be something, similar to something I experienced in Fallout 3. I was in the Dunwich Building and it was my first encounter with Ferals. Literally no ammo. The whole atmosphere of the place was pretty freaky.

The Anhk24

Dec 11, 2009
I would put a certain spot where when you stand on it you say the character slowly pulled into the ground by giant hands, which you have to repeatly press a button to escape...put it in a random room, maybe throw in a treasure so they're tempted to go there

camiilou

Feb 9, 2010
You play almost an entire gritty realistic game, realistic as in Silent Hill realistic. One day you are playing and you hear a creepy singing coming from a building that is normally a store. You walk in hoping to buy yourself some health potions or a heart container or ammo or what have you... but no luck! All you see a creepy little girl turned around in a corner, singing said creepy song. Now of course you are used to random quick movement scares or weird visual scares so you brush it off and don't scream when she turns around with hollowed out eyes. But suddenly she starts vomiting rainbows. Slowly your vision fills up with incandescent light and shimmery visuals of puppies and hearts and unicorns! Gritty realism is ruined for you forever as you realize this was the whole point of the game.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
The game breaks your TV/Computer for about an hour.

In that hour there are going to be a lot of pissed off people but a few of the kids will be very scared or people playing on other peoples stuff.

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
I think a scene that pretty much tears a whole in what the character believes is real and phantasy to the point where you don't know if what is coming towards you is an actual threat or not. What do you do with preciously limited ammo when the man charging at you from down the hallway could just as easily dissapear into thin air inches from your face as try and cleave you with whatever weapon he has?

Or maybe something along the lines of pyschosis causing you to kill innocents by making them think they were enemies. Of course there would be subtle tells in music or AI but then as you kill them you see a flashback of you callously shooting some poor woman who was begging for her life instead of the demon you perceived her to be. The more this happens the deeper and more disturbing the illusions become.

Throw in some dimly lit hallways with the obligatory flashing single bulb and that would be pretty freaky.