Your Self-Imposed Gaming Challenges

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Well, obviously as a Christian... [sub]Not really...[/sub]

I only do the christian Pokemon playthrough...<.<

Also in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I play without the Hud, and on highest difficulty, with no saves... it's just a much more immersive experience...<.<

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
I regularly play Chivalry with friends in Fisticuffs mode, which is exactly the same as normal but you only use your fists which, by the way, can't actually be used to block a weapon, which is kind of a big deal. But swarming that bastard of a vanguard with your friends and punching his helmet in so hard it crushes his skull is pretty darn satisfying, especially when they start posting "darn fisties" in chat at you.

The Name's Bond

Jan 16, 2012
When I play Skyrim, when I join the Companions, Thieves Guild, etc, I must always use only the equipment they provide for me with the exception of weapons, which are whatever I can find, spell books for mages, daggers for thieves, etc. Also I'll play without using fast travel, so I have to walk, ride or take a cart to wherever I want to go, which makes for an interesting experience when playing as a new character

Also in Far Cry 3, at random times I'll play explosives only mode, where I have to only use grenades, satchel charges or mines to complete my objectives, which leads to time where I'll end up essentially as a suicide bomber.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
janjotat said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
If the thread hasn't died then I'll report on my progress.
Do you really think that this thread will stay active for a few weeks?
That sounds like the kind of challenge we can all strive for together as a community!

In the meantime, I tried doing a run of Mario Kart 7's mirror-course without drifting...Kinda didn't work at all...I think my next attempt will be mirror and pacifist since that is something I could actually, potentially do.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I want to be able to play through Altered Beast like a performance of a fine Beethoven sonata. I'm nowhere near that goal.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I have beat Twilight Princess without picking up a single heart container. It wasn't so much a self-imposed challenge as it was me trying desperately to make this game fun. I am sorry, the combat difficulty of this game was aimed at preschoolers. No, wait, that's probably giving it far too much credit. I loved everything else about Twilight Princess, so it was very disheartening that the action of the game nearly put me to sleep.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
I haven't done this myself, but I'm wondering if it's possible: Kill every non-respawning, adult NPC in Fallout 3.

Whoever does so should make a montage of it, to the song "Dead" by My Chemical Romance.

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
janjotat said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
If the thread hasn't died then I'll report on my progress.
Do you really think that this thread will stay active for a few weeks?
That sounds like the kind of challenge we can all strive for together as a community!

In the meantime, I tried doing a run of Mario Kart 7's mirror-course without drifting...Kinda didn't work at all...I think my next attempt will be mirror and pacifist since that is something I could actually, potentially do.
hmm its on...

But I might try to play a round in Sins of a Solar Empire without a titan, and thats just a little crazy.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Dragons Dogma: I have one character who is essentially a wildman, never goes into any towns. I use only what I can find.

Borderlands: I have many characters that are limited to one weapon manufacturer but my banditzerker stands as the only one were that's actually made things a challenge.

FarCry 3: I have 3 files, one skill tree for each, and after I max out a tree, I do not use any more points.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Dark Souls: Slvl 1, no healing, no shield (God damn frikin stupid FOUR KIIIIIIIIINGS!!!!!). I seriously think I grew a new pair of genitalia the day I beat the game with that challenge.
Fallout New Vegas: Hardcore Mode, neutral karma, always and forever. Its just better... don't know why...
Skyrim: No fast travel=Better game. Fact. Or something...
Mortal Kombat 9 (all fighting games): Win online matches with only kicks. Legs OP, need nerf. Got a message after I won a match this one time saying: "Dude, why?"
SSBM: No items, Fox only, Final Destination. Who hasn't done this!

And Dark Souls PVP: Dual wielding, poor other guy thinks I'm a pro at dual wielding...

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I'm gonna try a Nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon Diamond soon =) I just have to get it first...

For those that aren't aware, there are 2 main rules for a Nuzlocke;

- You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in each area. If you make it faint, or run, or already own it - tough. That's your only option.

- If at any point a Pokemon of yours faints, you must consider it dead and release it.

(Optional third rule) - You must nickname every Pokemon you catch.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I don't tend to set myself in-game challenges, but I do set real-life ones. I aim to finish every main series Zelda and Mario game, for a start. Not counting remakes and re-releases (i.e. Link's Awakening vs Link's Awakening DX), I've got 5 Zelda's left to finish, 3 of which I've got active save files in, and 5 Mario games to finish.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
In Bethesda games I install realism mods (Fallout: Wanderer's Edition, Project Nevada, Skyrim Redone, etc.) and do dead-is-dead runs. Tends to be frustrating, but rewarding when I survive.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
Coppernerves said:
I haven't done this myself, but I'm wondering if it's possible: Kill every non-respawning, adult NPC in Fallout 3.

Whoever does so should make a montage of it, to the song "Dead" by My Chemical Romance.
Haven't done that in fallout 3, but I came very close in Oblivion, I *think* there are a couple of cities I hadn't wiped out yet, and possibly a couple of characters out in the wilderness somewhere....it was a lot of fun XD.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Playing through Metro 2033 on Ranger Hardcore with only the knife and throwing knives. When I get to the amoebas I might use the revolver or something because they have a 2 second respawn timer and you only have 5 knives (and those have a habit of vaporizing sometimes)

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
Esotera said:
I tried playing Halo with a friend as a pacifist, killing only the aliens that are essential to continue the plot. It's a really big challenge as the game obviously isn't designed for this, but can be quite fun.
I've mentioned it before, but I play quite a lot of games like this, often in cases of Splinter Cell/Hitman not killing anybody unless they are required to advance the story. In games like Absolution, guards even complain about their bosses or that they feel guilty/uneasy about certain things that have happened (Basically, they don't 'deserve' to be killed). I find playing like this adds so much more immersion to the game, and makes it a LOT harder.

A few others I have done/am doing:
- FC3 mostly with Bow(backup:pistol) and no syringes apart from recovering from animal attacks
- Blood money : Did so many different challenges such as only killing people by pushing them off things (LOTS of coin uses) or trying to kill everybody on a specific map with a melee weapon. Did this on the Witness Protection level, never got caught with the garden shears, high suspicion though!

I did consider starting Oblivion or Skyrim and giving my character a quirk, like having to steal every single instance of a pointless item- such as a bowl or a basket, then horde them all somewhere

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
T0ad 0f Truth said:
thesilentman said:
Oh yep, I'm a sadist. :p
Masochist :p

Unless you're just that good :O
It would have worked if Master difficulty wasn't broken as fuck. I originally wanted to beat either the Stormcloak or the Imperial campaign before getting the ability to shout.

As for the rest of the thread, I'm now playing Cave Story on Hard using only the Polar Star. Damn difficulty...