Your sense of purpose?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I just want to be able to say "At least I tried" when I die, that's about it, I don't have friends and I don't really get along with my family so I don't really care about the legacy I leave behind or if anyone will remember me, all I want is to be happy with the person I was, I mean I don't expect to be much really but I just want to be a person I can be proud of whenever it is I die, I don't think that's asking for much.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Desire to improve myself and (hopefully) others. It is the only thing I have found that does not in the end feel like a hollow waste of time. Seems to be the way nature is hard-wired, I see no point in denying it. Improve our species and help spread our galactic infection to as many places as possible.

Also the idea that the next evolutionary step of our planet is technological advancement.. pretty cool man. I'm down for cybernetic implants.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
My sense of purpose, that?s kinda a tough one. I don't think I've really had one nor ever will. I've lived well enough, helped a few people even saved a couple of lives.

Day to day living ain't so easy for me I'm ill and in constant chronic pain, I don't even remember what it feels like to not be in pain. Some people in my position check out early if ya know what I mean ( I know a few that have). I honestly can't tell you I've never thought about doing the same but there's still a lot of fun to be had, many things to look forward to. This might sound kinda weird but I take a sorta satisfaction in getting through each day. It's good to know even when it gets real bad I can struggle to my feet and carry on.

I guess I live because life is fun, full of pain yes but still fun. To stop early just seems a waste.

theboombody

Jan 2, 2014
I desire to spread the idea of G-rated shock value, because I'm tired of the lewdness of Hollywood, but I still like to be evil.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I like to think I'm a positive nihilist. There is no real purpose, but that we can create our own purpose, which can be whatever we want it to be, whether it's helping the poor or burning them.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I motivate myself by clinging on to specific things I want to do in my lifetime: own my own home, own and care for a cat, live in New Zealand, live by the sea, learn metalworking and become an amateur armourer (and possibly weaponsmith too), become a qualified scuba diver, learn all of Tolkien's languages. Those are the main ones at the moment. I guess some of those count as "consuming," but they keep me going because they're all things I want to do purely because I... well... want to. They're not things I need to do, or things that will necessarily benefit me materially, but they are things I think would give me pleasure and some sense of achievement.

These things are important for giving me hope, especially when the immediate future seems difficult or bleak. It's terrifyingly easy for me to lose sight of any sense of hope or direction when I'm in a depressed or manic state, and when I do I completely lose all sense of direction or meaning.

On the more abstract side, I have a deep rooted sense of justice which is pretty fundamental to my personality. I utilise that by doing everything I can to work and campaign for equality, particularly in terms of gender, sexuality and mental health because those are the issues I personally understand most, but I support plenty of other movements too. So I guess that gives me a sense of purpose too.

As an atheist, I don't believe there's any big meaning of life or anything though (if that's relevant).

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
My almost three year old nephew is one of, if not the most important thing in my life, so I guess my purpose is to be an awesome aunt.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
I believe immensely in personal motivation and strength of character, so while I don't personally believe in "Fate" or a "Higher Power" (Absolutely no disrespect to those that do!), I believe in carving my own path to what I envision to be the balance of personal fulfillment, comfort and challenge.

What is that purpose exactly?

- In the near future: Psychological Counselor. Assisting teenagers in an educational setting where counselling or just the right guidance can change a life for the better is enough for me.
- My ultimate goal: Clinical Psychologist involved with the assessment, evaluation, therapy and overseeing the COMPASSIONATE care of mental-health patients.

It may not sound glamorous, but I have always had a large amount of innate empathy, intuition, compassion and a desire to support others in various manners. Whether it be lending an ear or campaigning for equality with awareness groups...that's just the kind of person I am.

So I took a look at these raw untrained emotions at the age of 15 and decided that I would focus, train and channel them into a healthy and fulfilling avenue...fastforward to me being 22...and I'm studying Psychology Counselling full-time.

Studies aside, I want to travel, pursue my ambitions despite chronic back pain, give back to my family for all the support they have given me...and never stop educating myself, a learning mind is a constantly developing mind!

I live for others, while I maintain myself. Either way, there is something to be enjoyed in life...through others or myself.

:)
RevRaptor said:
Snippy snip
I don't know your personal position, but I live in chronic pain as well. I know it varies according to every person on a physical, psychological, emotional and social level. Pain invades every aspect of our life --- HOWEVER --- getting through each day, having the ability to enjoy life, smile and charge forward (despite the pain)...it feels good (I know that sounds strange), to me at least, it feels like I'm overcoming my own body and every day feels like a triumph and achievement...not a continued pattern of depression or self-pity.

I don't know your position, but the best of luck with it, fellow Escapist. Just thought acknowledgement from one chronic pain fighter to another would be a nice gesture. Have a great week. :)

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Nihilism mostly. I don't feel any purpose to be anything or to strive for anything so I can do what I want. Day-to-day? It is just work schedule and daily necessities (food, etc). Overall? Knowledge, I guess.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
RipVanTinkle said:
I believe immensely in personal motivation and strength of character, so while I don't personally believe in "Fate" or a "Higher Power" (Absolutely no disrespect to those that do!), I believe in carving my own path to what I envision to be the balance of personal fulfillment, comfort and challenge.

- In the near future: Psychological Counselor. Assisting teenagers in an educational setting where counselling or just the right guidance can change a life for the better is enough for me.
- My ultimate goal: Clinical Psychologist involved with the assessment, evaluation, therapy and overseeing the COMPASSIONATE care of mental-health patients.

It may not sound glamorous, but I have always had a large amount of innate empathy, intuition, compassion and a desire to support others in various manners. Whether it be lending an ear or campaigning for equality with awareness groups...that's just the kind of person I am.

So I took a look at these raw untrained emotions at the age of 15 and decided that I would focus, train and channel them into a healthy and fulfilling avenue...fastforward to me being 22...and I'm studying Psychology Counselling full-time.

Studies aside, I want to travel, pursue my ambitions despite chronic back pain, give back to my family for all the support they have given me...and never stop educating myself, a learning mind is a constantly developing mind!

I live for others, while I maintain myself. Either way, there is something to be enjoyed in life...through others or myself.

RevRaptor said:
Snippy snip
I don't know your personal position, but I live in chronic pain as well. I know it varies according to every person on a physical, psychological, emotional and social level. Pain invades every aspect of our life --- HOWEVER --- getting through each day, having the ability to enjoy life, smile and charge forward (despite the pain)...it feels good (I know that sounds strange), to me at least, it feels like I'm overcoming my own body and every day feels like a triumph and achievement...not a continued pattern of depression or self-pity.

I don't know your position, but the best of luck with it, fellow Escapist. Just thought acknowledgement from one chronic pain fighter to another would be a nice gesture. Have a great week. :)
RipVanTinkle said:

RevRaptor said:
Snippy snip

Thanks the thought is appreciated. I totally agree, self pity really is not a good thing. I was trying to get a similar point across in my post. If every day is a battle then each day you get through is a victory. I wish you the best of luck too, hopefully someone will find a cure for whatever is wrong with us someday. :)