Your Steam Graveyard

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Skywolf09 said:
The original Far Cry. Worked brilliantly on my older computer, but since that game seems to not cooperate with Windows 7 64-bit it refuses to work on my laptop. Which sucks, truly, since I loved that game but currently don't have a computer capable of playing it. (._.)
There's actually a semi-easy fix, if you know anyone with a computer that will let you install it, and you have the means to copy the files off the PC to yours you can play the files without an install. That's at least what I did with my copy and it worked, it refused to install but after I did that trick it was on my PC and playable.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I just pulled Arkham city out of my uninstalled folder after having it since PC launch thanks to getting it free for upgrading my video card.

The game would run, but I could not save thanks to GFWL (so it was never steams fault)

Waited till i reformatted to a 64bit win7 expecting it to work out the gate. No.

So now, I have to run 7 unneeded processes, 2 additional service layers (GFWL& Live sign in assistant) which ammount to basically 1.2 gigs of system ram resources absolutely wasted Just to make a steam game function. Cant wait to finish the game and rebanish the pointless & useless GFWL client and reclaim my system resources.

But, outside of that consider its not steams Fault, I have really had no problem getting any steam game to run. The bigger problem is all the horrible games I have picked up on Steam Sales and Indie bundles that I will never play (unless the summer or winter steam contests utilize the game) cluttering up my uninstalled folder making it about 3 times as large as what is in my games or backlog folders.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I've been really lucky. I've had games not work on me before on Steam, but I have eventually managed to get them to work. My biggest adventure in this regard was with KOTOR, which ended up going through multiple re-installs and adjusted settings before it finally started to work for me. Then I got to play an awesome game I hadn't played before. :D

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Steam told me Fallout 3 would work. It does, barely, like bare minimum settings and I'm still only getting 10fps.

Other things are stuff that came in bundles and expansion packs that I never got round to installing.

Also, Abe's Odysee and Abe's Exodus. I sometimes re-install them, but I never finish them and end up deleting all local content again... and again.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
No problems for me. Except when Europa Universalis III needed reinstalling, and when Railworks 2 packed up for some reason... but I have no graveyard of unusable steam games. Not at all.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I've had a lot of issues with STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Which sucks because I was a big fan of the first game. I think most of the issues are just related to my rig, a lot of bad luck mostly. Aside from that, I do have some games on Steam I haven't played yet but not because of errors. Mostly games I picked up on Steam sales that are just rainy day games.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Skywolf09 said:
The original Far Cry. Worked brilliantly on my older computer, but since that game seems to not cooperate with Windows 7 64-bit it refuses to work on my laptop. Which sucks, truly, since I loved that game but currently don't have a computer capable of playing it. (._.)
It worked on my PC when I bought it through Steam...

The reason I don't play it is that it's punishingly hard and I couldn't get past the level where you have to fight through that beached ship.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Serious Sam HD: The First encounter. I just can't get that ************ to work despite the original works just fine.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Dead_Lee said:
Vampire - the masquerade - bloodlines.

They really should not sell games that are incompatible with windows 7.
Im using windows 7 and I can run it, have you tried looking online for help? If you can't get it to run you could always contact valve as i just checked and their page does not seem to say that it will not support windows 7, so they might give you a refund.

OT
I have had troubles with kotor and Vampire the masquerade bloodlines, but Ive managed to get them working although not without in game issues, kotor crashes within an hour and bloodlines has a few purple textures.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Dead_Lee said:

They at least have the courtesy on Steam when buying Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 to say it has issues with Windows 7. Baaaaad issues.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Dead_Lee said:

Damn I bought that ,and hadn't got around to trying it. Maybe I should set up a dual boot on my PC! I'm going to rewindows my PC soon enough anyways, I try to do it once a year, just as a 'spring clean' and with external hard drives, it's very easy nowadays, just copy your docs folders over, then afterwards copy stuff back.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I don't really own many steam games, but I'd really wish they'd ask you before patching your games, in case you don't want, say, your dragons flying backwards.

I would also like to be able to go into offline mode when I'm offline, instead of having to be online for it.

I'm currently waiting patiently for the Sword of the Stars II developers to finish all their patching so I can play it without getting dissapointed or having my computer's sound dissapearing.

II Scarecrow II

Feb 23, 2011
Not trying to be elitist, but this is where I think console games have a bit of an advantage over PC. There are NO games made for consoles that cannot run on consoles, although the obvious trade off for reliable performance is graphical performance.

Anyway, on topic. I don't play the games I bought on steam very often, so kinda my entire library is techincally dead. That said, I played them when I got them. I purchased a hard copy of Red Faction Guerrilla however, and even on the lowest settings, I still got an appalling framerate, but I stuck it out to the end, because I actually did enjoy the game barring that.

I also aquired a copy of Crysis 2 on PC, but I could only play through about a quarter of the game because the framerate was running at 13fps on lowest settings...

Dave In A Cape

Aug 9, 2009
Oblivion game of the year edition...I didn't like the regular edition of the game, I only got it because it was £5...

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
As far as I know, All my steam games work. Because of the quantity, however, I can't play them all. Think that would more count as a "retirement home" rather than a graveyard.

gregitaly

Mar 12, 2009
Battlefield 2, oddly enough. I thought I was safe, buying an old game for my crappy computer. And my friend had it as well, so it seemed like a smart choice. However EA's servers failed to read my copy as legit and kept asking for authentication. I tried contacting EA and Steam and neither one lent an ear.
Worst $20 ever spent.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Until roughly a week ago, Evochron Mercenary.
Crashed on loading, until I dropped everything to minimal.

Not because my system has too little resources to play it, but because it's so terribly coded that it doesn't immediately recognize memory addresses past 3GB.

Everything else runs fine, or I've tinkered with enough to get it to run fine.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Dead Rising 2 on Steam.

It just would not start. I bitched on the forums and Valve was kind enough to refund me. Bought in on the PS3 later and then rage-sold it back to a GameStop shop because of it suffering the usual problems with RPG elements shoehorned into a third-person... Runny-gunny-fraggy-platformy-kapowie-zombie-apocalypse?

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Bioshock is the only game so far that hasn't worked on my rig. A shame too because I really like the game and want to play it.
Fawxy said:
OT: Bioshock is incompatible with my sound card, and my Motherboard's integrated audio is busted. So no Bioshock for me. :(
That's probably the exact reason mine doesn't work. It crashes either at the splash screen or only a few seconds into the game, but works perfectly fine if I have -nosound in launch options.