Your Stupidest Moment in Gaming

Aelrath

May 1, 2009
My stupidest moment was undoubtedly in Icarus Proudbottom in: The Curse of the Chocolate Fountain. (a very fun short game :p)
There was a part in the last battle where the boss shoots from the centre right to the left these little energy ball things that spread out as they go further, so i decided that i would just stick to the left wall and dodge them as they'd be all spread out, and it was a very difficult feat.
Only after at least an hour of retrying this boss hundredds of times did i win, only then realizing that the space above and below him were void of energy balls... i nearly cried.

Nightmare-Child

Jul 14, 2010
I continue to believe Warren Spector can make games. Alternately, I had a lot of problems using the Experimental MIRV in subway tunnels, in Fallout 3.

Geek_DR

Dec 14, 2010
Recently while playing L.A. Noire (not wishing to spoil, details are omitted) I thought I had finished a crime scene, but the music still played and when I asked my partner what I was supposed to do, he repeated the same "We need to get more outta the neighbours, Cole" over and over.

Since I had done all the questions and even restarted and fixed the one question (in another stupid gaming moment) I doubted when I should have truthed then run all around the adjacent properties looking for other neighbours, I was pissed. Then I saw a clue in the corner of neighbour's front yard. Fuck.

The bull-shitty thing was that I had already gotten a clue that had indicated our next lead but it only showed up in the locations after I found the one in the neighbour's yard and questioned him about it.

Frankly, there are a lot of moments like that in L.A. Noire. You find a clue but it doesn't count as a clue or work as a piece of evidence against a person of interest... So you fail a question despite knowing (and having proof) that they're lying.

Kin Jong Poon

May 18, 2011
I used a master ball on a machamp, which i already caught ages ago.

I was like, hmm, this ball has no chance of failing, eh? I SHALL TEST OUT THIS LEET POWER.

*throws on machanp*

*master ball wasted*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I was playing Bioshock. I was out of ammo and I needed to go searching for some more stuff. I need help so I see a Big Daddy. I equip my Controll big Daddy plasmid and walk up to him.... then I swing my wrench.... That equals a dead me.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Can't recall at the moment. Bunch of stupid things involving mistargeting in RPGs and flying straight into bullets in shmups, though. I'm sure there's worse, but I'm tired now.

Grottnikk said:
Magnus's booktastic adventures
This? This is amazing. Doubly so because, like just about everyone else, I hate Magnus. So much. So, you know, this was pretty nice.

Edit: Come to think of it, my younger sister has a regular one on Half-Life 2. She.. has a habit of right-clicking accidentally. A twitch of sorts, never really understood it. She also looks at the floor frequently (in-game) while playing. Oh, and her preferred weapon is the SMG with attached grenade launcher (right click, yes). See where this is going? Many times?

Aelrath

May 1, 2009
Kin Jong Poon said:

I was like, hmm, this ball has no chance of failing, eh? I SHALL TEST OUT THIS LEET POWER.

*throws on machanp*

*master ball wasted*

A master ball well spent. I nearly always used it on a magikarp. Lowest level one i could find.

th3xile

Aug 9, 2009
Kin Jong Poon said:

*throws on machanp*

*master ball wasted*

But, there arent any wild machamps in any pokemon game...
OT: In Minecraft I had just finished my fortress and I decided that I needed a master self-destruct switch. I built it with a lot of hidden TNT and had my lever behind a piece of glass with a sign saying "In case of emergency, break glass." I decided that I wanted to move the glass. I underestimated that glass' strength and accidentally punched one too many times...I almost cried as I saw each chunk of my fortress slowly blast away.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
mine has to be playing BFBC2 someone set a charge on m-com site so i shot at them in my tank missed them all and hit the last bit of standing wall in the building caused it all to collapse destroyed the m-com site and killed 3 of my own team

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
you have no idea how many times I've killed myself with the rocket launcher on halo because I always aim it slightly down so it hits where I want it too.

Evaheist666

Jun 4, 2011
I've team killed a lot. Probably because most of the time I easily forget what the enemy or friendlies look like. when I suddenly see someone as I turn into a corridor, I shoot that mother even if he's on my team.
That's why I only play deathmatch. -__-

ohHaiGuiz

Apr 21, 2011
Every time i suicide myself in Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and it says 'EPIC FAIL' at the top of the screen it makes you feel like a retarded badass but a badass none of the less

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
First ever experience playing capture the flag online and i shot the flag holder thinking he was the enemy :(

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
true Battlefield 2 moment:

I'm commander, and when I'm commander I love paradropping vehicles on snipers. So this one time I'm in my command screen and I spot a sniper ontop of a buildiing, I grin to myself, and think "it's idiot crushin' time" only exit my command screen and notice that I'm the sniper I just vehicle dropped over. "Oh SHIT I'M THE IDIOT!" I yell over the mic as I look up and see a 4x4 jeep come down to crush me.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
unoleian said:
Most recent was Portal 2.

Chapter 2.

Spending appx 20 minutes walking around a test chamber absolutely stumped. I needed a cube, but there wasn't a cube to be found. I LOOKED EVERYWHERE. Was getting frustrated. Turned around, walked around the tall, cylindrical object in my path, and then still needed another minute or two to register the Giant Red Button on a Post I kept walking around that would drop my badly needed cube.

Easily my stupidest moment.

Easily.
Fear not, I have my own Portal 2 fail.

Just after your "surprise" to do with your parents (Chapter 4?) I look at the room and make my way round, and quickly work out how to do the entire puzzle except one bit. How to get to the button on the other side of a pit to start it all.

Like you I spent 20 minutes trying to find my solution... only to realise the solution was to put a portal on the wall. That's it. THAT was the bit I couldn't work out!

Dark1Elder

May 16, 2011
In a rush to get through a conversation in Dragon Age 2, i ACCIDENTALLY told the second in command of the Templar, "Hey, watch what you say about illegal mages, after all, i AM an illegal mage to....... *FACE PALM*