Your take on the game Catherine?

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
This is an extremely long post, so incoming wall of text.

My personal favorite game released in 2011 was Catherine, though I'll admit the reason being so is probably a bit more biased due to my current situation, but more on that.

Personally, I found the puzzle sections, excluding the end, to be extremely fun, and the right amount of hard. I felt rewarded for completing them because the game did something that goes incredibly well to it's credit. I looked forward to the intermission platforms to see how the other sheep were doing; I cared whether or not they died. It made me enjoy the cutscenes, and bar sections, hell even the question asked by the dude in the confession booth was a reason for me to keep going. I loved the story and the conflict in it, it was something that hadn't been done to death and was something that I could see the depth in and it was relatable to real life. I was enthralled with what would happen next and the hijinks that would Vincent would cause. That is the reason I liked Vincent's character so much; he was a game character that had obvious flaws. Flaws, at least to me, that were extremely relatable to. I was intrigued with Vincent, not because I wanted to see how this hero character would get out of the situation with brilliant light and triumphant music; I wanted to see how an average man would try to work his way out of the situation by lying, stalling and conniving. I could really see part of myself in Vincent because he had flaws to his character.

The second reason I probably loved about the game was because of the relatable part. I was having my own relationship problems that reminded me a lot of Vincent's push to go to Catherine. My girlfriend at the time was already stressing settling down etc, and it was even more of a shock to me than Vincent because I'm 19 and we had been dating 3 months. Throughout the game I felt torn between C or K because both had their obvious pros and cons, and I felt an actual feeling for K because she reminded me of my current girlfriend, and I felt a yearning to break free and do my own thing because of K's/girlfriend's constricting feelings.
The confession booth questions and bar actions had me at 50/50 until very late in the story. At the very end I chose to go for K because, while their relationship had obvious flaws, but it felt more real because of it and obviously pregnancy, while C seems to be more of a representation of what guys imagine being single and living free would be like. C's appeal wasn't a deep relationship between her and Vincent, it was the idea of it being a guy's "paradise/dream girl."

The choices were a good opposite, without feeling like there was a "good or bad" choice and often while I knew which choice would result in which side of the meter gaining ground, because I approached each question honestly it felt like I was making a real choice in the game, as opposed to how to respond to a question. The choices were perfect, because even in the end, choosing either side or no side at all didn't leave me with a feeling that it was a choice that I wouldn't have done (well ignoring the later spoiler about C).

The third is the conflict. The conflict, at least what it seemed to me, was a mature and new topic to try and explore in the confides of a game, and the conflict wasn't exploited by just trying to throw some meat in front of the player and saying she's hot, it gave you a reason to want to go for C because of K's pushing for marriage, and it made you also want to go to K out of commitment and actual returned love.

The fourth is the way the story is presented. While the story doesn't change until really day 7, I liked the way to evolved the first time through based on your actions because Vincent's dialogue you don't control changes accordingly. I find it worth mentioning that I enjoyed the way the game seemed realize it was a video game, and not try to be a movie or novel and wanted to involve the player in how the narrative moved forward. It wasn't gameplay - cutscne - gameplay. It enjoyed the bar sections and dialogue because it felt like every scene was not only important, that some of the scenes were important because of my choices. It seemed to pull me into the story through player made choices instead of simply presenting me a story.

Lastly, I would say the characters helped complete the entire game. While I already went over Vincent's character I liked all the characters and thought they were all given good dialogue and a good personality. I loved Vincent's friends, because they played on obvious guy friend stereotypes, especially best friend Orlando, but it didn't stay and they didn't let that be the end of the character. I felt like that the characters weren't this troph or that because the writers wrote them that way, but because of what had happened in their lives previously. They were all given sufficient backstories to make their actions seem logical. I never found K's personality jarring because, what others say, she seemed to treat Vincent not so much as a boyfriend as a guy that needed her help to survive. To me, it felt like the actions, like simply putting the sugar in the coffee for him, showed their connection, and showed their relationship off fairly well. I loved it because the relationship felt like it had reason and depth, instead of the writers saying it simply did.

TLDR Version: I enjoyed Catherine immensely because I felt like it did a lot of things that video games should do right with it's gameplay and story. The gameplay was a good break from the bar sections and I did enjoy the puzzles. The gameplay was given a good incentive to move forward and continue trying to instead of demanding to make the next checkpoint. The story was believable and had reasons for the setup and the responses from the characters. The characters all felt like they were well developed and given real personalities instead of suffering from the stereotypes that some of them were modeled after. They had reasons to be how they were, and the narrative allowed to explore them by showing you the way the acted to Vincent and how they acted towards themselves in the dream sections, and I thoroughly enjoyed how the game made the narrative feel player bound. That it presents choices with weight and showed how those player made choices changed the way the narrative played out. It made the player feel connected to the narrative instead of simply showing them hey this happened.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I enjoyed the hell out of that game. I might actually pick it as game of the year 2011. I never really played a game quite like it. They tried something new and it payed off, in my opinion. The storyline was fantastic and interesting. I couldn't put the game down til the end....and then played it again a few more times.

I'm not that big of a puzzle gamer, but I found the puzzles in Catherine to be very challenging and rewarding. The only complaint I have with it is it seemed to get a certain ending it all just depended on a few choices you make near the end of the game.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Yep, it is my GOTY as well. This is what happens when you step outside of the box and take chances. I love how even though the scenes remain the same, Vincent's inner dialogue during them changes everything about the character. The story was disturbing when it needed to be, funny at times, and had some emotional high points.

BigFish

Feb 9, 2012
I thought Cathrine was AMAZING. It was a breath of fresh air in the gaming industry in my opinion! The characters were round, the Story was unique, the interaction between characters did not disappoint, and the the "actual" gameplay was fun (and frustrating sometimes lol). This game is a big yes a worth replaying for ALL endings.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Loved the story and characters, hated gameplay. Played thought it in one go (12h red bull fuelled marathon) i like Cathrine everything else about it so superb that i can easily overlook gameplay part that i don't like.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I'm only just playing now. I'm enjoying the story, and it's the first game I've seen to approach the idea of relationships from this angle. That said, I'm finding the puzzle difficulty frustrating. I've knocked it down to easy, so I can experience the story without grinding my teeth down to the gums.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Catherine was so good that I actually caught myself throughout the day going, "Oh man, what am I gonna do?" before realizing that I wasn't actually two-timing my girlfriend. That was when I knew that it was something special. I recommend the game to everyone who comes to my store asking for something "different."

This was the first time I really enjoyed a reflexive, skill-centric puzzle experience vs. my usual wheelhouse of point/click adventure-flavored puzzles. But without the engaging framework of the narrative I doubt I would have stuck it out to the end.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
It's fantastic.
I played a hella-ton of games in 2011, but not a single one was quite like it. Hell, I can't really think of a game that's like it period. Sure it had it's hellishly frustrating moments, but they made triumph all the sweeter. And once you pop the game in a begin to get into it's story, it's impossible NOT to beat it. It's just that compelling.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Catherine is a prime example of a let down for me. I was there when it was announced, I'd been following every single bit of info I could on the game, downloaded both the Japanese and US demo, hell I'm even in one of the trailers. Put simply, I hadn't been this excited for a game in a long long time.

But when the game actually arrived, I didn't play it that day...didn't play it the next day either. Just kept not playing it, and when I finally did, something weird happened. I wasn't having fun. Sure, I was enjoying the story and the puzzles were a neat challenge. But I just wasn't having any fun.

That's not to say I think it's a bad game, and it might be my own fault for overhyping the game in my own mind, but when it came time to take the gloves off and release the game unto me...I just wasn't enjoying myself.

Still, if there's one thing I am really happy about, it's how successful the game was, and how many people actually did enjoy it.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Was only just released here yesterday. I'm enjoying it the controls is kinda annoying for me. The amount of times I had to restart a level due to the guy pushing when I wanted him to pull was ridiculous. But it's addictive and fun.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm only about halfway through (at the ice block part)

My take on it is this:
The puzzles are great.
The bar parts are fantastic.
The cutscenes are ATROCIOUS!

I honestly hate Vincent. I literally have to pause the game at least 3 times per cutscene just to facepalm at him. IMO, he deserves every bit of misfortune that befalls him (minus the nightmares of death. No one deserves that).

So yeah, I hate the story, but love the gameplay. I think overall it's a decent game.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
loved it played through it a few times
though I only played the Japanese version so I can't really talk about the difficulty or the voice overs ^^

prinnydood3231

Aug 8, 2010
I had enjoyed the game dood. My only issue was after playing the game once you didn't need to watch the story again because so very little changed from one choice to another in terms of dialogue and narrative. The gameplay itself was kind of silly to me being a rabid fan of the Persona series but I must admit I played the hell out of it and enjoyed the puzzles dood.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I loved that game, and I was surprised by how much I had fun with it. I was intrigued by how the story was done and really made me think what I would do in that situation that Vincent was in, and not give half-assed answers just to appease the game.

It was a little weird though, it was like I was watching an anime and then it asked me to do a few puzzles after a bit. Not that I minded seeing as the puzzles were fun and a few times made me curse at my TV by how hard some of them were, but I enjoyed it.

I will say I heard "Undo" "edge" and "Hey I got it" more times than I'd care to and way after the game was over.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Personally, it was the worst game I played in 2011. It's absolutely terrible.

The "relationships" are completely hyperbolic and caricatures of anything resembling a real relationship. You choices are wanton sex with no responsibility or an ice-cold, no-nonsense battle axe. Yes, Atlus, because all women are either or, right?

The voice work was God-awful, they got the same ten people you hear do the V/O for every cut-rate anime and hentai.

Vincent as a character was a complete tool. He's a petulant man-child who never, never made the right decision. The "choices" you made for him lacked any real nuance or impact. In fact, it's a case of Japan segregating the story and gameplay. Them impact of your moral conundrum is resolved through basically unrelated survey questions.

The story makes no sense in the beginning, starts to make sense, and then ends making no sense. The morality was handled so badly that I just ended up taking the route that got me the most side-boob, because you're so shoehorned into the situation. You don't get to decide whether or not Vinnie the Moron cheats, that's done for you. You don't really get what he's going to say, that's done for you. You just have to salvage this crap. The game shoehorns me into cheating, then asks me what I'd do? Herp-a-freaking-derp, guys, I would not cheat in the first place. Honestly, I get that they needed to move the crappy plot along, but just to have it happen for no real reason (see back to the nonsensical plot) is just stupid. It takes all the weight out of it, if it's already happened. You choices are clean up the shit, or I'm already in it.

The gameplay, is probably the best part, but it's handled so terribly there's no reason to play it again. The puzzles were challenging, but a lives system was just freaking stupid. They know it's stupid too because they made it easy to spam x99 lives from pillows and checkpoints really early on. Seriously, a lives system. What? So I can just go back to the title screen and reload my last save? That's not doing anything but wasting my time. I can do without that archaic piece of trollop.

Ultimately though, the puzzles are unintuitive... they don't really build on your mastery more correctly. Usually you imply a later technique all of once, and you need about four techniques to get through the majority of it. The levels, especially bosses, break down into tedious games of trial and error; and if that's the way you have to beat it 9 times out of 10 you've failed in my book.

Cathrine is a terrible game. It's absorbed in how cleaver it thinks it is, but anime cutscenes and puzzle mechanics that are barely related to the story (ooh, they're dream sequences, except it's a communal dream... ooh). The bar scenes were just unrelated filler, with a mini-game that is the game, what the heck? I didn't even know you could save the bar patrons and I talked to them obsessively and their dream sheep counterparts. I never managed to save one, you think I would have. Other than that Vincent is a barely functioning alcoholic, which the game encourages!

It's a poorly executed jumble of separate pieces that's just lame, uninteresting, and grinding.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
It was the worst 2011 release by a substantial margin. There's seriously nothing good about it. I would go into it further, but Inkidu already did(thanks, mate). No sense beating a dead horse. I'd just like to add that the Japanese can't write a convincing love story worth a shit. They might want to stop basing their entire society around the hatred of women if they want to remedy that. Either that, or they could just write gay love stories. They'd be awesome at that, and I'd probably play a game about two yakuza bosses falling in love or something.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Raika said:
I'd just like to add that the Japanese can't write a convincing love story worth a shit.
Almost as if... different cultures have different expectations for love stories? Shit, man, next thing you'll be telling me they speak a different language in Japan, too.

Kei Kaemon

Fantastic Japanese Cat!
Nov 30, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Raika said:
I'd just like to add that the Japanese can't write a convincing love story worth a shit.
Almost as if... different cultures have different expectations for love stories? Shit, man, next thing you'll be telling me they speak a different language in Japan, too.
I don't know, they sure seem to speak english in all the japanese games over here.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it is no doubt something unique, but not something I like to play.
Anime romance drama... dear god I'd rather eat a bullet, and the gameplay was pretty horrific.
But if you want to get girls into gaming this is pretty much the ideal start, with all the drama they demand how could they ever resist.