Your thoughts on Halo 4?

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Call of Halo 4 is great :)...see what i did there ¬.¬?

It has its ups and downs but find it fun most of the time. It's aggrevating for me to play Halo and only have a 1.3 kill/death ratio compared to my 2.3 kill/death ratio on Call of Duty Black Ops (1) and Battlefield 3. :'(

I'm yet to find an armour ability I'm comfortable using.
I'm crap with Hardlight Shield
Regeneration Field is good but only in team games (and it's kinda a noob tactic)
Thrusters aren't powerful enough, they don't propel far enough.
Jet Pack is less help than it is helpful.
Promethean Vision doesn't last long enough before it has to recharge

Going to try out hologram then I'll come to a conclusion. (I refuse to use active camoflage and the Autosentry was bearly helpful in campaign to me)

PromethianSpark

Mar 27, 2011
I would hope that this will be the closing statement, but given that we all want the last word it isn't likely.

Korten12 said:
I never stated they're retards. Thanks for making me out to be a dick. Sorry that I assumed you weren't dyslexic, but considering you HAVE played Halo 4, then you should know it's Promethean. End of. You have stated to also have read the books, so you have seen it many times before. You shouldn't misspell anything you're familiar with dyslexic or not. More so since you claim to be very well versed in Halo.
Admittedly I didn't have to press this point as hard, and slips into ad homenim territory. However promethean and promethian are phonetically the same, so the spelling mistake is quite easy. They also both reference prometheus, so they are the same in meaning as well. Note my name, its been my internet call sign for nearly 10 years, so you can imagine I have a habit of spelling it that way.

Considering it wasn't the clone who commited genocide, your analogy fails and since that situation has never happened in real life you can't state that for a fact. Unless you can show me a real situation of that happening, you can't argue against it.
I knew you would focus on the details rather than the point. The fact that it hasn't and can't happen in real life is a good argument though. However, I don't think it should be viewed in details of clones and what not. Basically its the same as discovering in one way or another that your lover hates what you love and disrespects you so much that they are willing to destroy it. The fact the the lover in question has not done these things is a formality, when you know that that is how they really feel about it and you.

It was never intended to be convoluted.
I could write a whole thesis on why it was meant to be convoluted, and many other critics agree. A good example would be the supposedly expositional dialogue regarding the multi-layer kicks (which if any one says they understood upon first hearing is lying), which didn't make sense with out the scene to demonstrate it, which in turn wouldn't make sense without the prior exposition, forming an infinite regress which is suppose to mirror the same dilemma in the convoluted idea of how do I know that I am not dreaming, and how do I know if the dream isn't real. In short, convoluted plot, scenes, and dialogue, all stemming from its convoluted premise. A philosophical mind fuck for the senses as well as the brain. But I digress.

Your thinking of Halo Nation, Halopedia is very up to date. Hell the Halo Encylopedia even took things off of Halopedia because of how correct it was. Granted some of it wasn't but then became canon but that was a long time ago and it was minor. Onto the point, Halopedia stays up to date with the latest news.
I concede that I was basing this on halo nation, and following this point, I will look into halopedia.

And with this I am done, no point in arguing with someone who believes that Halo 4 is sexist when it's not, knows Bungie apparently more then Bungie, and that everyone is wrong but him.
Did I not admit in the last post that many of these matters where subjective, and hence conceding fallibility.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
VeryOddGamer said:
I just ordered it a couple of days ago, so I haven't played it yet, it looks pretty good.
But apparently it has QTEs, which I find nearly blasphemous.
Thankfully, there's only two.
Un-thankfully, they're in spots that really suffer for their presence.

But don't let that ruin it; the rest of the game is pretty fun.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Rule Britannia said:
Going to try out hologram then I'll come to a conclusion. (I refuse to use active camoflage and the Autosentry was bearly helpful in campaign to me)
Now I'm a bit curious, as active camo is my go-to armor ability. And the reason that it's my go-to armor ability is because I agree with you on all the other armor abilities: they're useless outside of key situations. But active camo allows you to crouch-skirt around the edge of major firing fields and get the drop on people with a precision weapon.

Is it some sort of moral high-ground thing? Because when it comes to how hectic the multiplayer can get, I'll take pragmatics and cunning over a straight fight any day.

Ticonderoga117

Nov 9, 2009
Overall, a very excellent game. Not perfect by any means, but it's just small things really. The music, while having some very awesome tracks, doesn't have one that yells "Halo" to me like the theme we all know and love does. The SP is a bit thin on some details, but that's fine as we have 2 more games to flesh that out. MP is fun, but sometimes I just RAGE over DMR's and BR's wrecking me. Love the armor choices though and Spartan Ops is AWESOME.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Personally I've only played multiplayer, seen the all of single player.

As for multiplayer, it sucks to see Halo turned into Call of Duty: Deep Space edition. That's all I'll say about that.

Single player is okay I guess. Graphically it's your typical Halo game. Gorgeous, but uninspired. One thing I always enjoyed about Halo was this strange mix of "human" technology being deeply involved in an alien setting, I feel that was really lacking. You seem to only be using Promethian weapons. Story-wise, I didn't get the feeling I was in the extraordinary events that have happened in previous Halo games. Nothing about the game is overwhelming, or even eye catching to be honest. Personally I wasn't disappointed, I set the bar fairly low. And that being said, the bar wasn't surpassed in any way.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I'm still working my way through the campaign on Heroic, so I'll get to that some other time. I got stuck somewhere in the sixth mission and couldn't bother to try again. So I've been spending my time with Wargames in the meantime.

So... Multiplayer. I love it, it works just fine. Here are a few points that caught my attention.

- Like the dude with Master of Puppets avatar already said, the starting weapons' range is equal to that of a sniper rifle's. I'm afraid to even set foot outside of whatever building I'm in.

- The Binary rifle is an overpowered piece of scrap. Unless I'm using it myself. (but seriously, it's really damn overpowered.)

- I don't have the foggiest about how I'm supposed to use Pulse grenades.

- I was shocked about how powerful the Assault rifle (or its two alien sisters) has become. It's actually a weapon of choice now!

- I loathe the Abandon multiplayer map.

- Ordnance drops can either give you gold or shit. You've got three guesses as to what I usually get.

Despite that, the game is awesome.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
C F said:
Rule Britannia said:
Now I'm a bit curious, as active camo is my go-to armor ability. And the reason that it's my go-to armor ability is because I agree with you on all the other armor abilities: they're useless outside of key situations. But active camo allows you to crouch-skirt around the edge of major firing fields and get the drop on people with a precision weapon.

Is it some sort of moral high-ground thing? Because when it comes to how hectic the multiplayer can get, I'll take pragmatics and cunning over a straight fight any day.
It's a moral high ground thing :/
Personally, I find it frustrating to fight somebody who's partially visible or completely invisible when crouching.

I'm thinking I might just always use Promethean Vison, so I don't have to keep re-adapting to new armour abilities. That or stick to me "*****" tactic of shooting someone long range and using regeneration field if they shoot back and I then start to lose; in conjunction with the AA perk the aforementioned tactic is overpowered (kinda overpowered anyway).

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
arc1991 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Loved the campaign despite it being rather short. My Xbox Live connection is playing up at the moment though so I haven't had the chance to delve into War Games or Spartan Ops yet.
You can play Spartan Ops in single player :p
You need to be connected to LIVE, though. Kind of annoying- even Halo's losing its split-screen routes.

And I loved the game- got it on Saturday and waded through on Normal, then went online and tried some Team Slayer- and trust me that when I say it's better than Halo 3, it's REALLY good.

Campaign's awesome too, but it could have been longer. And I wanted to drive the Mammoth!

And one final niggle- no Theatre for Campaign. *Skyward Scream*

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
recruit00 said:
That is actually one thing I am curious about. Will there still only be one sniper or one rocket per level in a regular match or will the drops bring multiples?
Power weapons are MUCH more common now with ordinance drops. Especially in BTB. I've seen matches with 5 rocket launchers, 4-5 snipers, and a couple spartan lasers all at the same time.

recruit00

Sep 18, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
recruit00 said:
That is actually one thing I am curious about. Will there still only be one sniper or one rocket per level in a regular match or will the drops bring multiples?
Power weapons are MUCH more common now with ordinance drops. Especially in BTB. I've seen matches with 5 rocket launchers, 4-5 snipers, and a couple spartan lasers all at the same time.
That sucks. That was great where if you knew who had the power weapon, you knew what you had to do. You don't know who has a power weapon now and it is dumb. Man, they better get to adding classic playlists and what not or people are gonna be pissed.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
ZehMadScientist said:
- I don't have the foggiest about how I'm supposed to use Pulse grenades.
In Campaign/Spartan Ops? It really does wonders on enemy's shields, allowing you to aim for the head for a quick kill. Specifically against Elites and Knights.

In Wargames? Area denial. That's one use all grenades have. But while a frag does it's damage once and is gone, the advantage of the pulse grenade is it's duration. While the grenade is deployed, the space it occupies is a no-mans land where shields are useless and death comes swiftly. The drawback is they don't have the killing power of frag and plasma grenades. They are generally more useful in objective games and in tight hallways.

I'm pretty disappointed about the unlock system, the loadout system, and the ordnance drop system just like everyone else. It's a clear shift in focus for the series from a game designed around multiplayer to the lone-wolfing-it-against-other-people-to-grind-out-points style championed by Call of Duty.

But let's try to keep some perspective, too. In spite of that, the Halo style we know and love is still very much intact. The gameplay is still about bringing the right tool for the job, choosing your shots carefully, reacting to the changing situation, and outplaying your opponent just as much as it is about being quick on the draw. It's about knowing when to melee and when to backpedal and shoot, when to push the attack and when to let your shield recharge, when to throw that frag and when to chip away at their shields, when to reload and when to switch to your secondary. It's about planning how to break your opponents shields and then how to get the headshot after.

When it turns into whoever puts the enemy in their sight first gets the kill, that will be the time to abandon ship.

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
I like the game and the multiplayer is awesome as per usual. My one gripe is with the ending which I'm hoping someone can explain to me, cause I'm pretty sure they didn't explain it.

John (Master Chief)activates a nuke with his hands, then Cortana who has become rapant some how saves him by transporting him into some blue matrix type thing

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
I've got a buddy who reads the novels, so most of the questions i have will be answered my him

As for the multiplayer, my only gripe is vehicles. I have no desire to be splattered by a ghost every kill i get.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
I love the multiplayer, and find it very balanced. But, the File Share system is utterly broken, which will kill the long-term success of the game. Also, Promethean Vision is just about the best thing ever.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Based on what (very) little I've seen (and played) of it:

-The environments are noticeably improved; both in their layout and aesthetic design.
-Voice acting isn't so "tin drum, hut-hut" dull military anymore.
-Gameplay: It's Halo. What else can I say about it?

Can't really comment beyond a glance.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
BoredWalker said:
- Binary Rifle: Go back to COD, you one-hit-bodyshot piece of sniping bullshit tripe.
Personally, I found it to be more or less the same thing as the Sniper Rifle, requiring a hit to the head to kill. I have not played enough to confirm this but I do know that it often seems to take 2 shots and when it doesn't, I'm nearly certain I hit them in he head.

On an unrelated note, there are things I like and things I don't about the game. But the things that most stand out is the overwhelming number of vehicles on maps that are actually quite small. The relatively narrow spaces in these maps means that ghosts are apparently nothing but cruise missiles that happen to be armed. The second is that I like that weapons both spawn on the battlefield and get called in. Given how powerful the game makes certain weapons like the shotgun and rocket launcher, being given the option to simply have one delivered is a fundamental change to the pace of games. I'm not sure if this is a good change in the long run; it will take time with the game to determine.

The last change that stands out is that for all the new weapons, it doesn't really feel like there are new ones. Some changes were made that make weapons more generally useful - that assault rifle for example. In other cases, it really feels like you just get two or three versions of the same thing. The DMR/Battle Rifle/Covenant Carbine for example. Again, I've not played enough to really determine anything beyond that they do different damages but having three weapons that fill that mid range slot of "fairly high single trigger pull damage" seems odd for halo. But then, Reach had the DMR and Carbine and they seemed almost identical there.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I don't have much to say about single player, it was fun enough and it holds up to the other ones well enough. I won't draw comparisons.

It's pretty hard to deny that the multiplayer is heavily influenced by Call of Duty, right down to the loading screen before matches with the developer name displayed in the corner, right down to the way the game tells you what team you're on before you start play, the way you unlock weapons, of course the loadouts, grenade indicator, built-in sprint, killcam, perks (some of which are taken directly from CoD), ordinance drops as a stand in for care packages, etc, etc.

The thing is, this isn't intrinsically a bad thing. It actually works amazingly and makes the game more fun than either CoD or past Halos, and it still plays exactly like Halo should. The elements that were taken from Call of Duty are actually extremely good ideas, and since the problems with them were worked out over the course of the various CoD installments, they're here fully balanced and not broken. Same thing with the armor abilities, which have been balanced and expanded on from their Reach counterparts. It just feels polished. And though the playlists haven't fleshed out at ALL yet and there are some annoying glitch-into-wall bugs that have yet to be fixed, I'm having more fun with this Halo then I've had since I got live and started playing Halo 3 five years ago.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
One of the final indications, to me, about Halo 4's crap level is how they offer co-op multiplayer that completely breaks the game's difficulty and dodges explaining how Master Chief just completed Mitosis. Adding multiplayer in itself is harmless, but the details point to the overall level of the cash-in produced. Also unlocking in multiplayer sucks, unless you have complete control over what unlocks when, like getting the laser cannon that can kill three dudes in a straight line by level 2; freedom to choose unlocking paths is what makes some games so addicting.