Your thoughts on having online friends

Zeldafan355

Mar 20, 2011
What do you think about people making really good friends online. Personally, I have a group of friends on Xbox Live that I have talked to/played with going on three years now. I think it's safe to say we are good "friends" but what do you think? Am I crazy or is this sort of thing to be expected in the modern age?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It's nice, and I have quite a few, but I've found it's very easy to fall out of touch with them. And that's never fun.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Perfectly normal. I have a group of friends on tf2. We all played on the same server, and everyone was friendly. It's a group of people who share the same hobby and are friendly.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Perfectly fine. I have a few on here that I lose touch with every once in a while which is a real shame. I'm mostly very forgetful about these people online. Sorry guys.

I also met my current girlfriend through Facebook...if that counts as an online friend. =P

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I think it's good, it's like having a pen pal without all the tedious writing and mailing (typing and clicking if you're not old-fashioned).

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Now my answer to this question is a little eh. Now don't get me wrong I think its fine to have friends online, just don't let that be your only friends. I am currently undergoing a very bad period in life where I can't really interact with people in a physical school. So I have to talk with most of my friends online. I get real bad anxiety when I am out, yet online its fine. Now the point of that last few statements is to tell you that online friends alone lack a experience that real physical IRL friends have. In no way am I saying that these are your only friends though, and who knows maybe one day you will meet up with them in real life like my brother in law did. So in short, No, it isn't bad to have online friends. Just don't let it consume your life mate.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
I have several long-standing online friends since the days of Ultima Online pre-Trammel. So far, we haven't met each other.

Perfectly normal, IF you don't start receiving pleas of naked pictures while wearing a tutu and a magic wand.

Then, it's just normal.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I don't see any problem with it. I have a few good friends that I've met online. As long as you have local friends too.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I joined a forum a while back (for the long-dead Metroid Prime 2D) that only has about ten active users left, so we're all bros. We still play things online and help each other with fangames and all that, and we're all active Facebook friends. It's actually quite an experience.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I value them. I place more value in friends I can mess with IRL but I've come to enjoy the company of my peers here. I have a healthy mix methinks ^.^

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Marter said:
It's nice, and I have quite a few, but I've found it's very easy to fall out of touch with them. And that's never fun.
This, with most of the people I played WoW with for 2 years.
I was really close to about half of my guild that I raided all of wotlk with, but as we got disillusioned with WoW, dealt with drama, quit for other games, we just sort of lost touch.
I still try to keep in contact with everyone I can via battle.net when I am on SC2, but so many old friends have quit Blizzard games completely (at least until D3 comes out).

One of my closest friends is a guy I met on WoW via an IRL friend, that I play xbox with all the time. He's like another me, but American.
I think online friends allow you to be more yourself (or less yourself if you are so inclined) and are great to have, but it gets dangerous when you want to meet said friends IRL. They may not be as funny as they were online, may not be as young as they told you were, or be a dude when they said they were a chick... Obviously these horror stories are grossly exaggerated, but that doesn't make them completely false.

I spend most of my time online away from normal humans, so I have a lot of online friends.
Even most of my IRL friends have turned into online friends that I only talk to online, because of work/moved away/etc.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Marter said:
Speaking of which, we need to have another chat sometime soon.

[sub][sub]*notices you getting first post on an OT thread and nostalgia hits me like a storm*[/sub][/sub]

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Hmmm...
Well I have a fair share of both online and offline friends, thing is an online friend will never be able to take priority over an offline one.
Let's face it I'm probably never going to meet the online ones, which means that I will never get to really know them aswell as the offline ones.

I guess it's what they called "Penpals" in the olden days.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I have many more close online friends than I do friends in the neighborhood.

Then again, thsoe two are now online friends due to college

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I love it. One of my best friends lives in another country, and I trust her advice because I know how to tell the whole story and she's not emotionally invested in any one else involved.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Zeldafan355 said:
What do you think about people making really good friends online. Personally, I have a group of friends on Xbox Live that I have talked to/played with going on three years now. I think it's safe to say we are good "friends" but what do you think? Am I crazy or is this sort of thing to be expected in the modern age?
Not at all, if you let them in on personal details of your life. Course there is always the division with real life friends, who can also be there for a lot more varied experiences, and can help you more when you're depressed or need something heavy lifted. Course sometimes you can bridge that gap if they live close enough.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i have had more friends online then i have real friends. I can be myself online not the person people want me to be

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I have nothing against the idea.

However, I doubt I'd be willing to form such a friendship myself. I place a lot of value in face-to-face contact. You can tell a lot by body language and how a person carries themselves physically. Same for tone of voice and inflection and so on. I find it hard to imagine a genuine friendship without that level of contact.

May 28, 2009
Bit of both. I like having online friends, but you can do more with actual ones. I also think it's easier to have a conversation face-to-face. Via text, it's fine, because you've got thinking and delayed reactions to keep everything going, but I dunno, when it's just a voice a conversation doesn't work as well as it could. It might be because online you're naturally distracted by other things you're doing, whilst in person you're focusing on the other guy.

In essence, a balance is fine. It's probably better to hang out more with the physical friends though.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Most of my online friends are my real-life physical friends, while the others are people that I found interesting to talk to and share ideas with.