Your thoughts on 'Love'

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Escapists. As I'm sure you know, I love each and every one of you.

But what is 'love'? A release of Chemicals evolutionarily designed to create a strong emotional bond between partners? Something magical? Something non-existent? Have you ever been in love?

I want to know your opinions on the matter, escapist.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
This thread seems familiar...

In fact, I think I'll just copy my post from the thread this reminds me of!

shrekfan246 said:
Do I believe in love?

There was a boy, no older than most when they first find interest in the opposite sex.

He spent most of his days by himself. Part of it was by choice. Part of it wasn't.

There was a girl, a bit younger than the boy.

She was a troubled spirit, free and yet simultaneously chained down, unable to overcome the hardships she faced by herself.

The two met one day.

No words were exchanged, at first. Just a locking of their eyes, and two small, shy smiles.

The pair found common ground, and began spending their time together, more and more each day as time passed.

As the days turned to months, it seemed like they were inseparable. Nothing would come between them, as long as they had each other.

And then the day came.

The girl's family moved away. She had to go with them.

It hit the boy like a sidewinder, revealed out of the blue. He couldn't understand it. Why did she need to leave?

The days turned bleak, after that. Darkness seemed a permanent fixture in the boy's mind, and his schoolmates noted that he seemed increasingly irritable and distracted.

He needed an outlet. Something to pour his heart and soul into now. He settled on a combination of music and literature, hoping it would fill the void left behind by her absence.

It did, for a time.

As the months passed, he could feel her sliding further into the back of his mind.

But fate was not so kind.

Two summers after she had left, the girl reappeared in the boy's life.

He was confused, understandably. When asked about her return, the girl replied that she wanted to see him again. The boy... could scarcely believe his ears. In a single instant, all of his thoughts, feelings, memories of her, came crashing back into his head. As much as he wanted to tell her that he didn't feel the same way... he couldn't formulate the words.

And so they spent the summer together, knowing that it would end in heartbreak and disappointment when the girl needed to leave again at the end of the summer. Despite that, the boy would recall that summer as being the best few months of his high school years.

As his final year of high school began, the boy found solace in the fond memories he would always have of his time with the girl. He was amicable, jovial even, a rock for his friends in their times of need. But he always knew, somewhere deep in his mind, that he would never forget the girl.

Months passed. The boy's family began falling apart. He graduated, but was left aimless by the situation an ailing father and an absent mother presented him with. He wanted a direction. He needed something, or someone, to guide him.

And so he went to the girl.

She had never forgotten him. She had always been there for him.

I'm not sure whether that answers your question or not, to be honest. But I hope it does.
Boy, that was easy.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010

Could not resist!

OT: It's not something that can be fully explained, it's just something that you know if you've found it.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Seagoon said:
But what is 'love'? A release of Chemicals evolutionarily designed to create a strong emotional bond between partners? Something magical? Something non-existent?
Honestly, I don't care! I could spend my remaining days wondering and never finding out, or I could enjoy what's right here. The love I have for my family, my friends, boyfriend, dancing and myself is what I live for, the very foundation of me. They make me happy, I make them happy. That's all I need.

The only steadfast opinion I have on the matter is that "love" and "infatuation" should not be used as synonyms. I wish people would stop confusing the two.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Baron von Blitztank said:

Could not resist!

OT: It's not something that can be fully explained, it's just something that you know if you've found it.
The song was entirely necessary. I don't think what people would call 'love' is particulary elusive or mystical. I think it's a perfectly explainable psychological phenomena. Not to say it isn't important or powerful in any way.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Some kind of chemical dependency that is kind of creepy when you get to thinking about it.
The physical feeling being the opposite of anxiety. While the latter can be described as tense, constricted and cold...love can be described as relaxed, spreading and warm with a pinch of anxiety right in the middle.

Not going to get about with the other details, because then we begin to tread on super subjective territory.
I like the definition of it being a chemical phenomenon that we attach characteristics to and make something of it ourselves. Then the scientists and wizards are both happy.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Seagoon said:
But what is 'love'? A release of Chemicals evolutionarily designed to create a strong emotional bond between partners?
Yes. But unlike people would have you believe, that doesn't make it any less treasured.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
Seagoon said:
But what is 'love'? A release of Chemicals evolutionarily designed to create a strong emotional bond between partners?
Yes. But unlike people would have you believe, that doesn't make it any less treasured.
Yes, yes and yes! I couldn't find better words than this to sum up my own personal feelings on the subject!

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Nope, love is like magic or Heaven, a beautiful thing we make up in order to embellish our dreary lives. I don't blame people for believing in it, but I just can't quite do it myself.

I do believe in affection, though, which is a positive feeling of attachment without all the social baggage we associate with the conception of love.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Darken12 said:
Nope, love is like magic or Heaven, a beautiful thing we make up in order to embellish our dreary lives. I don't blame people for believing in it, but I just can't quite do it myself.

I do believe in affection, though, which is a positive feeling of attachment without all the social baggage we associate with the conception of love.
Boo! Way to ruin the fun, Mr Killjoy!

On a serious note, while I respect your opinion, I do think that there is a considerable difference between 'affection' and 'love' - In that 'love' is an experience crafted by years of evolution to make us become religiously attached to a single possible life partner. But hey, I'm human like you so who's to say I'm right? X

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Seagoon said:
Boo! Way to ruin the fun, Mr Killjoy!

On a serious note, while I respect your opinion, I do think that there is a considerable difference between 'affection' and 'love' - In that 'love' is an experience crafted by years of evolution to make us become religiously attached to a single possible life partner. But hey, I'm human like you so who's to say I'm right? X
Hah! It's what I do. :p

I completely agree that there is a huge difference between love and affection, and I'm saying I don't believe love exists at all. I think that every instance of "love" is just affection plus an incredible amount of self-delusion.

Also, I do not condemn self-delusion at all. We all need some degree of it to avoid spiralling into crippling depression.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I've made my position clear many times, so I'll try to keep this brief.

It's a major fucking inconvenience to me. The chances of there being a positive outcome to me being attracted to someone are incredibly low, so I must instead find a way to destroy that feeling entirely.

Furthermore, it's something normal people assume is easy. Because for them, it is. Do you have any idea how hard it is to gauge someone's opinion on you when you basically don't understand body language, on a concious or subconcious level? I guess I can't blame people for not understanding, after all, I don't understand them, but it gets annoying when everyone acts like it would be so damn easy.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Love is something made up by people to explain why they act so irractionally when it comes to another person. I personallt don'T believe in love anymore. I say anymore because i used to when i was young and naive . But Now i think it's bullshit. Love is just an excuse people use .

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Love certainly exists, and yeah, it's all chemicals and shit, but that doesn't really make any difference. I think it's truly a great thing, but I'm waiting until I'm older, wiser and capable of putting my romantic failures completely behind me before I go looking for it again.

I mean, I've had some fantastic times in love, but I've had some very painful break ups, so it's always a bit of a risk. Hopefully I'll stumble across someone who I'm willing to take the risk for.

...Did I really just write that? Fuck's sake, I'm not a very good cynical teenager. Fuck the world! Love isn't real! STOP BEING HAPPY!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
There are two types of love to me.

The first is a "fake" love that happens around High School. I get angry when I stroll my facebook wall and get nothing but "I love my girfriend" and other stuff after they dated for three months. That's not love, that is a strong affection of someone.

The second kind kicks in maybe late college or early work years. This is real love. The kind you don't say until you know it's true.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Love is an emotional expression of our mammalian instincts toward preservation of our genetic material. It is accompanied by physiological reactions that are measurable, if not understood (I like to think that some day people will understand the brain, but not today). It is a very real thing. That it is hardwired into us and that it serves a useful evolutionary purpose really doesn't change what it is or how it feels; or at least, it shouldn't. I mean, it's not like knowing how visible light works makes sight less special than it is.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
The only kind of love I really consider to be "love" is to be so infatuated with someone that you want to share the rest of your life with them. I don't consider lust to be the same thing, nor any love that is bound to any sort of physical conditions. I'm not going to take the scientific route and say it's all about passing on genes, because all anybody who says that is doing is taking a few pages from Freud so they can take a wild stab in the dark. It neither addresses what love actually is nor in any way explains how or why it happens--scientifically, psychologically, or otherwise. I think psychology is very useful in many situations, but any time it tries to approach love it becomes laden with so much bullshit and conjecture anyone should be ashamed to call the approach a science.

I think love can develop quickly or slowly, but I think when making the commitment you should take your time. I feel like people should be in a relationship at least two or three years before getting married, maybe more. They need to be able to have arguments and work things out together. They don't have to agree on everything, but I think a few things like lifestyle, values, and desire for children are some pretty major things that can't easily be ignored. I think people can fall in and out of love--people change, and someone who was right for you can change into another who isn't, and vice versa.

In my experience, the most consistently successful relationships develop from friendships. I feel like starting out as friends you get to know each other quickly and easily without that romantic pressure to impress or hide your flaws. Of course everybody naturally does that around their friends to some degree, but when you like somebody you become even more hypersensitive to it, and try harder than usual to please them. As friends, you go in already knowing quite a bit about each other's characters and interests. It doesn't mean success is guaranteed, but it can make forming the relationship a lot smoother of a transition.

And lastly I don't really agree with the theory of "The One"--or that there is ONE person in the WHOLE WORLD out there for you, and you have to find them. With the sheer number of people in the world, that's just silly. I think a person can grow to a point where they don't want anyone else apart from the one that they have, but I don't feel like that means there can't be another who (if you didn't already feel that way) couldn't do just as well. I personally favor monogamy so I would never actively seek someone else while I'm with my current boyfriend, but if something happened to him or something happened to me I think there could be another out there for either of us. And even if our relationship were more long-term and something like that happened, I don't think I would mind if he pursued someone else. It would be selfish of me to not want him to seek what makes him happy, though I wouldn't mind if he didn't feel like it either.

So those are my musings on love and how it works, take it however you will. I will leave you with this YouTube video, which is a true story of a kind of love I hope I can get even just a piece of someday.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
Seagoon said:
Nailed it.
I've only felt it once before and I really didn't care what it was, I, well, LOVED it. Granted, the feeling went away after I really got to know her, (the obvious danger of love at first sight) but I know that it's real and that I've felt it.
And now I'm just waiting to feel it again...

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
JimB said:
Love is an emotional expression of our mammalian instincts toward preservation of our genetic material. It is accompanied by physiological reactions that are measurable, if not understood (I like to think that some day people will understand the brain, but not today). It is a very real thing. That it is hardwired into us and that it serves a useful evolutionary purpose really doesn't change what it is or how it feels; or at least, it shouldn't. I mean, it's not like knowing how visible light works makes sight less special than it is.
This.
Except for the special part. It sure is useful though. Not being thrown out of the house or having your face kicked in every few days is very, very nice. Other than that, I think people give it too much credit. Especially when romantic partners are involved.
Personally, I find hate a much nicer and familiar feeling.