Your Top 10 FPS of all time

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Well, let's see here...

1. Shadowrun
A game I really talk too much about but perhaps my favourite game ever. Why? Teleporting through walls, seeing through walls, deflecting bullets with katanas, gliding, ninja trolls, ressurecting team mates, (mostly) non regenerating health... The list goes on. The guns are standard (pistol, smg, rifle, shotgun, katana (okay, not a gun), sniper, minigun, rocket launcher) and that list is all of them, but they're well balanced and each has a usage in fights. It's more the way the abilities mix things up and layers of tactics to a shooter.

2. James Bond 007: Nightfire
There's no way I can have Goldeneye on he N64 on my list after playing this. Had so much fun with this game, both in the campaign and in multiplayer. If I had to guess, I'd say more people were too busy with Timesplitters to give this a chance.

3. Halo: Reach
Probably so high on my list because it's what I play a lot over the last few months with friends. But it's a pretty good experience.

4. Modern Warfare 2
I enjoyed it enough that it kept me playing to 65/70 of 9th Prestige... That pretty much says it all. Though I thought the campaign wasn't as good as it's predecessor, I prefered the multiplayer, and the addition of co-op special ops was a nice touch.

5. Team Fortress 2
Would be higher on my list if I didn't play this mostly as a first person back-stabber. The rush of tricking someone into thinking you're on their team, and then get the follow up stab is immensely satisfying.

6. Timesplitters 2
Another game that might be higher up my list, though for a different reason. My PS2 broke down ages ago so havn't been able to play this game as much as I would have. Amazing game for multiplayer, and the level creator was something I messed around with far too much. Loved the level of customisation you could have in matches.

7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Really liked the campaign, but multiplayer wasn't always for me. Still though, enjoyed it a lot.

8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
I found the multiplayer pretty fun, but most of it's appeal was from playing it with friends. The single player I found so dull I couldn't force myself to finish. Thankfully the multiplayer makes up for it enough to grab a spot on the list.

If Third person shooters were allowed, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System would sneak in at 7 and Gears of War would get into the list, probably just above Battlefield.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
1. Half Life 2
2. Bioshock
3. Deus-ex HR (never played the original)
4. Metro 2033
5. Deadly dozen (it was actually fps and tps)
6. SWAT
7. Rainbow Six (every single one before lockdown)
8. Wolfenstein 3D (nostalgia points)
9. Bulletstorm (don't judge me)
10. Medal of Honor (of course the old one)

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
1. Halo CE
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
3. Time Splitters 2
4. XIII
5. Halo 3
6. Borderlands
7. Left 4 Dead
8. Halo Reach
9. Golden Eye
10. The first James Bond game for Xbox, I can't remember it's name, but I think it is Nightfire

Its hard to rank my favorite FPS against each other because I like them for different things. Halo CE for it's campaign, MW2 for how fun SnD was, TS2 because of how good it is in all things, XIII for it's timeless graphics, great story telling, and awesome combat, Halo 3 for how much fun multiplayer was, Borderlands for the silliness, Left 4 Dead for the awesome multiplayer, Reach for how much I dominate multiplayer even after a long time away from it, Golden Eye for being my first real FPS, and that James Bond Xbox game for how much fun it was to cross-map bots with the remote controlled missile.

Edit: Anyone who doesn't have Halo CE on their list, hasn't played it.

risue

Apr 3, 2010
I have not played as many FPSs as i would like.. especially some of the classics, so I'm grabbing for straws towards the end..

1 Half Life - hands down best FPS in my opinion

2 Borderlands - More so cause I've had a great time with friends then the actual game play or "story"

3 L4D2 - have really enjoyed onslaughts of zombies

4 Half Life 2 - Super super fun, a few dull spots I thought but really liked it none the less

5 BioShock - Really liked the whole atmosphere

6 Tribes Ascend - I'm actually pretty terrible... buut still super fun

7 TF2 - always fun to pick up and play a few rounds

8 Fallout 3 - I liked this one better than NV despite some of the advances in the other,

9 F.E.A.R. - I was expecting less shooter more scary, for better or for worse it was more the other way around but it was still fun

10 Crysis - pretty good variety of approaches of things to do

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
1. Team Fortress 2
2. Portal 2
3. Fallout 3
4. Bioshock
5. Deus Ex/Human Revolution
6. Time Splitters: Future Perfect
7. Bulletstorm
8. CoD: Black Ops
9. CoD: World at War
10. And Minecraft I guess. I started running out of ideas at #8.

I don't really enjoy FPS games as much as I used to.

gaiusimperator

Apr 4, 2010
1. Metro 2033
2. Stalker: Call of Pripyat
3. Half Life 2
4. Portal 2
5. Deus Ex
6. Crysis
7. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
8. Crysis Warhead
9. Stalker: Clear Sky
10. Crysis 2

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
In no order:

Deus Ex + The Nameless Mod
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
Call of Duty (original)
Bad Company 2
Battlefield 3
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis + Resistance
Metro 2033
Doom 2
Doom 3
Halo CE

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
Counter-Strike
Bioshock
Half-Life 2
Deus Ex
Goldeneye
Left 4 Dead 2
House of the Dead 2
Time Crisis 2
Doom
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
1- Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
2- XIII
3- S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl/ Call of Pripyat (Clear Sky can go die in a fire)
4- Prey
5- Half Life 2
6- Call of Duty World at War/Black Ops
7- Metro 2033
8- F.E.A.R.
9- Battlefield: Vietnam
10- Doom

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't exactly have favorites so no numbers for me

Team Fortress 2
Serious Sam Ep 1 and 2 HD & 3
TimeSplitters 2-Future Perfect
F.E.A.R.
Duke 3D or Blood (old Dos game based off Duke 3D Engine, if you haven't played it you're missing out)
Doom 1-3
Half Life 2
Fallout NV
Unreal 2004/ or III
Metroid Prime

That's sort of a 10 list right? Right? Right.

I've played so many FPS but it's hard to make a call at this time given so many of them are falling back on regen health and such hand holding through a single path I'm sort of bias against them.

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
1. Half Life 2
2. Deus Ex HR
3. Deus Ex
4. Timesplitters: Future Perfect
5. Timesplitters 2
6. Goldeneye
7. Halo
8. Duke Nukem 3D
9. Bulletstorm
10. Borderlands

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
1.Off road velociraptor safari
2.Off road velociraptor safari
3.Off road velociraptor safari
4.Off road velociraptor safari
5.Off road velociraptor safari
6.Off road velociraptor safari
7.Off road velociraptor safari
8.Off road velociraptor safari
9.Off road velociraptor safari
10.Off road velociraptor safari

Although my opinion is invalid as my mind has been destroyed by constant Off road velociraptor safari games. ITS ADDICTIVE!

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Not in any particular order, just my top 10 overall.

1. Unreal Tournament Gold Edition. I grew up on playing Unreal and RTS games because its what my dad played. Kind of a sentimental choice I guess but the game is amazing. Bio rifle makes for the funniest kills.

2. Halflife 2. No explanation needed.

3. Bioshock 1/2. The unique setting alone puts in up here. So sick of dystopian futures or modern military settings. Diversity can really make a difference.

4. Killing Floor. Because I dare you to make an enemy as frightening as a Fleshpound. 1 or 2 of those at the wrong time makes everyone panic, and its hilarious.

5. Timesplitters Future Perfect. Cortez is the best protagonist EVER. Also multiplayer was streets ahead of its time.

6. Fallout 3/NV. Its just as much third person as it is first so it fits.

7. Halo Reach. Now don't get me wrong, I played all the Halo games, but I'm not going to let nostalgia blind me. Halo Reach is the most polished and diverse Halo game to date. Its a series that always seems to progress forward, kind of the opposite of Call of Duty.

8. Metro 2033. I've never played a game with such an atmospheric story. STALKER is good for sandboxing around like an idiot, but to me it was never as engaging. STALKER could've really benefited from a smoother and more accessible UI.

9. Battlefield 3. I played BC2 a lot, but BF3 does just enough things better. Shotguns you can actually USE for once, in certain scenarios they still suck, but its still a better option. Snipers require a tad more skill. But to me the scale was really what set it apart. Just the addition of how amazing the jets were. Also, jihad jeeps.

10. Red Orchestra 2. I wish it wasn't such a niche genre and more people played it. I'm starting to hate aimer reticules (I blame Killing Floor, coincidentally also the people who made RO2) and the skill required to get kills make them a MILLION times more satisfying.Its like the Tribes of WW2 shooters, many people detest it and say its bad because it requires more skill than a run and gun game.

Portal and Mirror's Edge are first person, and you technically have guns, but they're platformers at their core.

I know someone posted "nobody cares about people's stupid lists" and while I bet the majority won't read these, its always interesting to see other people's preferences.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
I find this lack of Metroid Prime games disturbing...
So my list goes like this:

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime
Duke Nukem 3D
Halo Reach
Tribes Ascend
Left 4 Dead
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Turok Evolution
Team Fortress 2
Bulletstorm

Duke 3D and Turok are mostly there because of nostalgia.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
5. Portal
4. Call Of Duty 4
3. Perfect Dark
2. Half-Life 2
1. Metroid Prime

Looking at all these lists, there is a lot of popular FPS games I still need to play.

The Cap

Aug 14, 2011
in no particular order

1) Battlefield 3
2) CoD 4
3) CoD 1
4) Ghost Recon (the PC original)
5) Far Cry 2
6) Timesplitters 2
7) Medal Of Honour: Frontline
8) Goldeneye 64
9) Time Crisis 2
10) Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Counter strike source
Counter strike 1.6
Bf2
duke nukem 64/3d
perfect dark
golden eye
time spliters 2
call of duty 2(pc ww2)
call of duty 1(pc ww2)
Dayz(donno if this counts )

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
1: Metro 2033:

That atmosphere, almost no games can come close to it. Only bad thing is it's buggy filter system. Also, amazing ambeance and soundtrack.

2: Halo 2/Reach

A tie here. 2 took me awhile before I started to like it due to the focus on the Covenant. Game still holds up really well today. Reach because it had an epic campaign, a darker atmosphere and alot of replayability.

3: Borderlands

Gazillion guns, 4 characters, high replay vallue, 'nuff said.

4: Killzone (ps2)

Dispite the lag, it actually kept me hook for the full 12 hour campaign (which became rare to have such an lengthy fps campaign). Also, like Borderlands, 4 characters to chose from. And it was inspired by WW2 events and it was executed really well.

5: Doom 3: Ressurection Of Evil/ Ultimate Doom

Doom 3: REO: (played it on xbox) fixed alot of issues the xbox version of doom 3 had, could actually defend yourself while holding a flashlight. And the return of the mighty double barreld shotty. Ultimate Doom: Great soundtrack, high replay value.

6: Singularity

Visiting locations in diffirent timelines is done really well, no regenerating health, Seeker Rifle and a horror element in the first chapter executed pretty good.

7: Prey

Dispite unable to die from a certain point on and a tad short campaign, it was really awesome to explore an planetsize alien ship while using a Assault Rifle/Sniper Rifle combo and some more awesome weapons.

8: Painkiller: Hell Wars

(I prolly gett flamed for this): Never got to run the pc version, but the Xbox port had Painkiller + the better half of it's expansion pack. although it had more loading screens and lag it was really fun.

9: Serious Sam xbox/ Next Encounter

2 fps's with a great sence of humor (SS Xbox is 1st and second encounter combined with extra humor). While NE is not developed by Croteam, it did feel like it was and it had new enemies to encounter. Also, the Atlantis levels are mindblowing.

10: Resistance

Interesting take on the late 40's/ early 50's where WW2 never happend, insane guns due to their alternative fire mode, pretty long campaign and looks really good for a launch title.

I could have put HL2 in this top 10 but if you have played the beta then it just feels incomplete and it bugs the hell out of me that almost every weapon you hold has missing faces and such unnescecary things. And tbh it didnt age really well dispite the engine port it got in '10.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
1- Bulletstorm
2- Team Fortress 2
3- Serious Sam 3: BFE (Haven't played earlier ones)
4- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Love the originals plot but the prequel really improved the stealth)
5- Metro 2033
6- Borderlands
7- BioShock 2 (Again, first game has a far superior plot but I really love the gameplay more in the second one)
8- Doom 2
9- Half-Life 2
10 - Wolfenstein (Yes, the one that warranted Yahtzee's limmerick review)