Your top 3 game soundtracks

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
Evening escapees, lets talk soundtracks.

I've recently purchased the humble indie bundle and i'm currently listening to the soundtracks that came along with it. That got me thinking about game music in general, how it shapes the way we play the game and augments how we experience the story. With that said, i'm curious: what are your favorite game OSTs?

Here's a few of mine:
1. Where it is going_
By Jasper Byrne

2. Deadman's Gun
By Ashtar Command

3. Peril
By Martin O'Donnell

KICdude

May 29, 2012
For me it has got to be the chemical plant zone song from Sonic advanced 3 .... I think. I've always liked music so its hard to chose. Even though I am a LOZ fan i actually have a lot of fun listening to this rather than many different variations of the Title song.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
My top three video game soundtracks would probably have to go like this:

1) Bastion
2) MechWarrior 2
3) Silent Hill 2 OR Grim Fandango

Bastion's soundtrack has featured some of the best electronic music I have heard in a very long time, and you add that to its gorgous artstyle and narration and you have a very memorable mix.

MechWarrior 2 is pretty much just a nostalgia trip for me because it features some pretty innocuous metal riffs, but I was 9 when the game came out so it was pretty awesome at the time. It actually holds up pretty well to this day and worked wonders for me in college when I needed to write a paper because it does just enough for you to be aware of its existence, but not enough to distract you.

If pressed I'd have to say Grim Fandango's soundtrack nudges out Silent Hill 2's because it was one of the earliest examples of me getting into jazz music, and the game came out at right around the time when I started to notice music more and wanted to have my own to play.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008

See The Wykydtron above.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
1. Halo

2. Pokemon

While technically a remix, skip to 0:10 after the guy stops talking, can't stop listening there.

3. Mass Effect

To all who say Mass Effect 2 was bad....shame on you.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
1. Persona 3 Portable (because it's Persona 3's soundtrack, but better)
2. Persona 4
3. Guitar Hero 2 (or if licensed soundtracks are a copout, Earthbound)

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011

An awesome opening to an awesome game.

I've heard the OST described as "Phoenix Wright on Acid". I do not disagree.

On of my favorite dungeon type themes.

Can't pick a favorite game musically; entire series is pretty good in this regard.

The one consistently good part of the FF series.

Obligatory Fire Emblem Promotion!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I suspect Bastion is going to be fairly prominent in this thread, and for good reason.

I dislike space elves but their theme music hits all the right buttons for me.

It's not really an game soundtrack as such but I love it nonetheless.

exarkunsith

Jan 12, 2010
USA battle theme from C&C General.

Throughout you have the bsae going to underscore the contant movement of the strings above.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
1. Metroid Prime. Loads of otherwordly alien ambiance, plus some nostalgic remixes of classic Metroid tracks (and Metroid games have always had good music.)

2. Deus Ex. Didn't really get it expecting this, but the game has terrific music, and not just the awesome title screen theme. Fits the cyberpunk theme perfectly, and throws in different flavours depending on what part of the world you're in.

3. Planescape: Torment. Sets the mood of each scene perfectly, except when you get stuck in combat music through a long conversation.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
If we are talking full OST's, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 2 and FF:Dissidia.

If we are talking individual tracks:

Bioware knocked music for ME3 out of the park. Rather, Sam Hulick & Co knocked it out of the park.

Because Gilgamesh is freaking awesome.

Because Diablo is awesome, excluding 3. Blizzard screwed up terribly on 3.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Ed130 said:
I suspect Bastion is going to be fairly prominent in this thread, and for good reason.

Now I'm all sad. That song brings back some serious memories of the first playthrough. I got really invested in Bastion, then it all ends... :'(

Mine are:
1. Bastion (anyone that's heard it knows how good it is)

2. Fallout New Vegas (particularly the Mysterious Broadcast from Old World Blues. I have a thing for jazz)

3. Halo (first game I played, and the soundtrack's stuck with me forever)

Bonus: Battlefield 1942's theme song

BamWam

Jun 29, 2011
Song of Storms from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, any song from Shatter, and Portal 2.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
In no particular order, and with no particular cited tracks.

1. Banjo-Kazooie

Your main collectibles are music notes. The characters themselves are named after musical instruments. This game was like, "yo, we're all about the music," and I concur. I've linked the medley of orchestral renditions from Nuts and Bolts because that shit gets me wet.

2. Kirby's Air Ride

As much as I love Fountain of Dreams from the older (and newer) Kirby games, this is the most surprisingly well-composed of the Kirby games. It's even a pretty cool game in its own right. I really like the music from Epic Yarn as well, but it's in a different league entirely - more like a Yoshi's Island sort of vibe. This is just flat-out awesomeness.

3. Rayman Origins

I was all like "oh um Halo! No, Black! No, Metal Gear Solid! But goddamn it, this is the kind of soundtrack that reminds me why I care about videogame music in the first place. The whole Rayman Origins soundtrack is just completely astonishing, but it's the Nowhere to Run cue from the Land of the Livid Dead that really gets to me. And Ubisoft apparently know that cos they turned it into a rhythm-style minigame for Rayman Legends. Ohh deearr god yesss.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Imma let you finish, but Medal of Honor: Allied Assault had the best soundtrack of all time!

I'm sorry, that joke is way to goddamn old.

EvanJO

Nov 8, 2010
Deus Ex Human Revolution.

God damn, that soundtrack.

Oh, and Bastion. And maybe even WoW, since there are some seriously good pieces spread throughout that game.