Your Top 5 Favorite Games (with a slight twist)

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
Hmm...this is gonna be a toughie.
PC-Either Deus Ex or Civilization IV. Not sure...

DS-Dragon Quest 9. Never seen so much awesome in a portable RPG.

PSP-Persona 3 Portable. Because it's amazing. Nice to see so many others giving it love too. :p

GBA- Super Mario Bros. 3. Yes,I know it was originally a SNES, but I missed the boat for that. This game was the bane of my childhood.

Xbox 360-Fable 2. It's not the hardest game ever, but it knows how to play with my heart. Especially in Wraithmarsh...

novawolfe

Dec 29, 2011
This is a great idea, and a great twist, and I'm happy one of the Escapist news stories today covers my favorite.

1. KOTOR (Xbox)-Aside from Dragon Age Origins, I'd have to say that this is my favorite RPG, and game, of all time, and literally did everything right and had everything a great game needed. That could just be my nostalgia setting in too...I just wish it was playable on Windows 7 and up.

2. Morrowind (PC)-Played this on Xbox too, but the PC version is better soley because the mods help make it playable. Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game in my opinion because of the story, and that's really what I look for in RPG's. Close second to KOTOR.

3. Mass Effect Series (360)-Another great line of RPG's...definitely my favorite 360 series, even with the ending. The male stargazer clip after the credits made it all worth it to me though. I've never cried at the end of a game like that before.

4. Pokemon Emerald (GBA)-Gen 3 is my favorite, and this little baby had the first Battle Frontier.

5. Super Smash Bros (N64)-Nothin' better than the original.

Honorable Mention-Phantom Crash for the Xbox. I love me a good robot game, and Phantom Crash let me completely customize a robot fighter, even if the story was a little surreal and wonky...

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
The Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - SNES
Final Fantasy VII - PSX
Pokemon Black/White - NDS
The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap - GBA
Fire Emblem Awakening - N3DS

Kalashnikov2092

Feb 15, 2011
5. Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Ocarina of Time (N64)
3. The Last of Us (PS3)
2. Batman: Arkham City (Xbox 360)
1. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)

I didn't have to edit my top 5 games at all, actually.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I'll just give my favorites from each device I've owned.

Rocket Ranger (NES)
Donkey Kong 2 (Gameboy)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Goldeneye (N64)
Super Smash Brothers (Gamecube)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Sid Meyer's Pirates (PSP)
Mass Effect (Franchise) (360)
Dark Souls (PS3)
Fallout (Franchise) (PC)
A Link Between Worlds (3DS) This is largely because it is the ONLY game I've played on the platform

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'll play your game you rogue!

In no particular order...
AvP2 - PC
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Sega Genesis
FF3 - SNES (That's FF6, to be clear)
Mario Kart 64 - N64
Mass Effect 3 - XBox 360

Honorable Mentions:
Battlefront II - PS2
FFT - PS
Smash Brothers Melee - Gamecube
Sonic Adventure 2 (It's a guilty pleasure :p) - Dreamcast
Kirby's Pinball - Gameboy (that's the original big fat gray Gameboy :p)
Final Fantasy - NES
Predator: Concrete Jungle - XBox
CoD 4: Modern Warfare - PS3

Think that about covers one game per every console that I've owned/played.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
These sort of rankings are just too hard. How can I choose between Super Metroid, Zelda, Secret of Mana and Super Mario World on the SNES? Totally different games, and arguably one of the best all time in their category. Same with FFVII, WipEout, MGS and Resident Evil on the PSX. I just don't know.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
In no particular order, and missing out some earlier gens:

Amiga - Dreamweb
PS1 - FFVII
DC - Shenmue
Xbox - Half-Life 2
360 - um....... er...... Street Fighter IV or Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption or The Walking Dead S1 or lots of other stuff?

I think this past gen's been the best there's ever been, so the pick for 360's by far the hardest.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
2DS - Fire Emblem: Awakening
X360 - Halo 3
Wii - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sega Genesis - Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Copying others because they're correct)
Ps3 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Best Exclusive - Infamous 2)

Ps3 was difficult to decide between DD:DA and I2 so cheated a bit.
Wii was between Brawl & Mario Kart

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
What an aggravating twist. For my PS2, I can't decide between Shadow Hearts Covenant, Persona 4, and God Hand.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
1. Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita)

2. Conker Live and Reloaded (Xbox)

3. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)

4. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

5. The Witcher 2 (PC)

And that's about it.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hm? Okay.

A Drug That Makes You Dream (PC)
Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
Dynamite Headdy (Genesis)

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Dishonored - 360
Civilization IV/V- PC
The Wonderful 101 - WiiU
Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening - Game Boy

uh...

Ape Escape - Playstation

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
The Binding of Isaac (PC)
Runner Up: Half Minute Hero
When I am able to sink 200+ hours into a game where the average run length is less then an hour then the developer has done something right. The fantastic art direction and soundtrack along with the very brutal difficulty results in a game with a highly tense atmosphere, yet this is one of the few pieces of media I can think of that makes light of some very dark issues without coming across as idiotic or crude. I should probably mention that the game play is incredibly fun.

Dark Souls (PS3)
Runner Up: Bioshock
Another game with fantastic atmosphere. The exploration and tough (but fair) combat is enough to make a great game but very few games (especially these days) are so subtle with their world building and story telling. The game world feels like it has had all hope drained from it yet it still looks beautiful.

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Runner Up: Xenoblade Chronicles
This game not only looked and sounded incredible but it also had some of the most interesting level design I have seen in a 3D platformer. While games like Psychonauts did gravity bending in a 3D environment before galaxy, this game took it further then those games did. Also it made motion controls work in a platformer and it used them in probably the most interesting ways out of any game released.

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS2)
Runner Up: Kingdom Hearts 2
This is a game that I think is heavily underrated. The game has a very charming art style which makes the unremarkable plot more entertaining. This game is a 2D platformer with limited interaction with the background and foreground. The gameplay is based around grabbing enemies and using them as projectiles or to double jump by shooting them beneath the main character. Impressive mileage is gained from this one mechanic without it becoming stale. This is the result of really good level design.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA)
Runner Up: Pokemon Emerald
A metroidvania Kirby game. I shouldn't need to say anything else.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Shadowrun Returns (PC)
Castlevania Lords of Shadow (Xbox 360)
Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Trauma Center New Blood (wii)
Last of Us (PS3)

though my list looks normal :p

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Portal (PC)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Bioshock (PS3)
Arkham City (360)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)

NerAnima

Jun 29, 2013
1: Legend of Zelda; Majora's Mask (N64)
This is probably an odd choice, but I love this game even after all these years, as the music is amazing, the story is different from the usual Zelda story (perhaps not by much, but whatever) and the boss at the end is still creepy as all hell. Of course, the insane number of side-quests and masks help.

2: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
Perhaps the gameplay is a bit irritating at times, but the story and characters more than make up for it, in my opinion. Especially the twist, which everyone knows by now (I think), but the way it was built up, and the subtle (or not-so-subtle, I have no clue) hints that are placed through-out the game make it a great experience.

3: Psychonauts (XBOX)
Is there anything I can say about this that hasn't already been said? I will say that the level involving the spies and conspiracy certainly messed with my head, but in a good way (I think). If you need to hear more, go listen to Yahtzee's review of it.

I'll try to keep the last two short, okay?

4: Shin Megami Tensei; Devil Survivor 2 (DS)
It is an amazing game, I love the characters, the music is pretty good, and the endings are great, what few I've gotten. I don't know if the other Shin Megami Tensei games are better than this one, especially since I don't have the money for it, so I'm going with that.

5: Chrono Trigger (SNES) / Dark Souls (PS3)
Couldn't decide. :p

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
1. MegaMan X4 (PSX)
2. Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3)
3. Donkey Kong Country 2:Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
4. Arcanum:Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura (PC)
5. Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
-Geneforge 2 (PC)
-Fallout NV (Xbox360)
-Banjo Kazooie (N64)
-Pokemon Yellow (Original Gameboy)
-Pokemon Silver (GBA) (I played it on GBA, even though it was technically able to be played on original gameboy but was made for GBC)