Your top 5 of Gen 7

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I can't believe I can't find this here but, now that Gen 8 is a reality, as the year ends, what in Gen 7 was the best? What did you really play the hell out of? What blew your mind with its quality and game playability?

For me?

1) Batman Arkham City: thought to be not enough of an advance on Aslylum, I have to disagree. There was so much to do, great graphics, super story and production values including voice. Will it ever again be this good?

2) Uncharted 2. OMG. I got 3 and its very good, but I couldn't believe PS3 capable of this level of quality and fun. Very cinematic and fun. Great puzzles, easy enough for an old guy like me. Great characters, epic episodes. Just amazing.

3) Fallout 3. Wow. Just wow. More than Las Vegas, there was so much to do. Graphics worked for what they needed to be. So many side stories. Such a sense of triumph in getting past some bad parts. Slow motion cam on beating bad guys? I've never seen anything else like it!

4) Halo 3: OK, had I not beaten that, I would forever feel like I hadn't full finished something so relevant to my gaming. Few boring parts, some boring part went on forever but I found out what gen 7 could do. I'm impressed.

5) COD Modern Warfare 2: If you go by the zietgeist, this shouldn't be so high up. I played it on PS3. What a trip, from nukes going off to ops trying to stop bad guys, I was always engaged. I am shocked by the visuals and qaulity of this game. If you haven't played it shame on you. Get your butt in gear. This is too great to miss

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Gorfias said:
3) Fallout 3. Wow. Just wow. More than Las Vegas, there was so much to do. Graphics worked for what they needed to be. So many side stories. Such a sense of triumph in getting past some bad parts. Slow motion cam on beating bad guys? I've never seen anything else like it!
Much graphics. Many side story. Wow.

OT:

I haven't really got an order, but this gen's been great for me, so I'll just go with what comes to mind.

1. Sonic Generations - I have not enjoyed a sonic game this much since the 16 bit days. Every level is beautiful and stunning. Both versions of Sonic handle brilliantly! The side missions are all decent. I love this game, and still play it, and the Unleashed mod for it too, very regularly.

2. Mass Effect 2 - This game built on the somewhat clunky first instalment, and made the gameplay so fluid and fun. Every character was established so well, even with a larger roster than the other instalments. I can't fault this game one bit. (I can however fault the sleezey money grabbing tactics of EA in regard to excessive DLC, not acting as a supplementary, but key to the central story).

3. Bioshock - The atmosphere was very well presented. The story was so well told. The gameplay was fantastic. I know I'm using subjective statements and phrasing them as facts but I don't care. I'll fanboy the shit out of this game.

4. Super Meat Boy - Of all of the 2D platformer indie games I've played this gen, this feels the most fun, and the least pretentious. There's more emphasis on great platforming physics, than some artfaggy story (cookie for guessing what game I mean).

5. Just Cause 2 - I never really liked sandbox games very much. I played GTA a bit here and there but got bored pretty quickly. Just Cause 2 has been consistently fun for me to play. On top of that, it's so preeeeetty! That grapple hook is awesome by the way!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
TelHybrid said:
2. Mass Effect 2 - This game built on the somewhat clunky first instalment, and made the gameplay so fluid and fun. Every character was established so well, even with a larger roster than the other instalments. I can't fault this game one bit. (I can however fault the sleezey money grabbing tactics of EA in regard to excessive DLC, not acting as a supplementary, but key to the central story).
I've got it for PC and haven't played it nearly as much as I should. This trilogy is supposed to be epic and I know I've missed something. Many people think 2 is the best of the series, so I best get to it. I have it for PC, part 3 for PS3 (part 1 for Xbox 360 but it died before I could really get into it, but I understand 2 is much better and I can get into it easily even without having fully experienced 1).

Great choice to have in your top 5 of gen 7.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
1: Oblivion
2: BioShock 1
3: Portal
4: Rayman Origins
5: Halo 3: ODST (the closest the series has, or ever will come to Halo 2's brilliance).

There are a lot of games to recommend, but seeing as it's only 5 games they're my picks. I enjoyed myself on those games immensely.

Multiplayer Top 5 (for reasons)
1: Gears of War 3
2: Team Fortress 2 (then 2011 happened)
3: Halo 3
4: CoD: World at War
5: Left4Dead 2

I would give explanations, and I might do when I'm next online, but I've not much time or thought for it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Ni No Kuni:
The first JRPG since Persona 4 that made me want to finish it, like platinum it.

Fallout - New Vegas:
Best FO game since FO2, and I really enjoyed the improvements it brought over from FO3.

Darksiders 2:
A game that plays more like a brand new IP than 'just a sequel', and I loved it.

Dragon's Crown:
First side-scroller in probably a decade that I wanted to beat.

Red Faction 3:
While it was a little irked about the lose of the first-person, I enjoyed everything else about it.
Shame there wasn't MORE to do, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh boy! Another top something list!! I'm going to try to separate these based on consoles I've played...

Nintendo DS

5 - Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
4 - Pokemon White
3 - Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
2 - JUMP! Ultimate Stars
1 - Pokemon: Soul Silver

PS3

5 -
4 -
3 - Sony All-Star Battle Royale
2 - Little Big Planet
1 - inFamous

PS3/ 360 multiplatformers

5 - Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage
4 - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
3 - Skyrim
2 - Fallout: New Vegas
1 - Saint's Row 2

PSP

5 - Hatsune Miku's: Project Diva
4 - Star Wars: Battlefront 2
3 - Dissidia: Final Fantasy
2 - Final Fantasy II
1 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Wii

5 - New Super Mario Bros Wii
4 - No More Heroes
3 - Super Smash Bros Brawl
2 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
1 - Super Mario Galaxy

Xbox 360

5 - Fable 2
4 - Gears of War
3 - Dead Rising
2 - Halo: Reach
1 - Mass Effect

I haven' played enough PS3 exclusives to have made a top-3 for that console unfortunately...I hated Heavy Rain, Afrika and, need to give 3D Dot Game Heroes a chance. I never played LBP2 or, inFamous 2 either though I will be changing that sooner or later...I also can't put Star Ocean International up there since I haven't yet played that version...it would have taken the number 3 slot honestly...Hatsune Miku's Project Diva on the PS3 will take 4 and Sony Smash Bros gets 5 by default...

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Damn picking just 5 is hard.

1. Gears of War 3

2. Battlefield Bad Company 2

3. Halo 3

4. Fallout 3

5. Dark Souls

Honorable mentions go to:

Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, Metal Gear Solid 4, Darksiders, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia, Assassin's Creed 4, Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Dragon's Crown and many more I can't remember.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Okay, but just remember that I am not trying to force my opinions on everyone else.

5. Thrillville Off The Rails. This is one of the only games on the 360 that lets me run an amusement park, and therefore it is on this list by default since running a theme park is one of my favorite things to do in a video game, especially when I can ride the coasters I make. Roller coasters are some of the most awesome fun I have ever had, and so I like getting even a semblance of that fun in the realm of gaming.

4. Red Faction Guerilla. Destroying buildings is fun, and the way this game does it makes it even more fun. Hell, you can respawn demolitions master buildings by letting the time run out, effectively giving you a repetitive but infinite amount of building destruction.

3. Far Cry 3. It's essentially a rambo simulator crossed with tarzan and all taking place at a pirate infested hawaii. And then you get high to get temporary powers and then you fight a demon and then tits. Just awesome.

2. Just Cause 2. You are spiderman combined with james bond in the body of a manly spanish shampoo commercial/spanish romance novel cover model and you can steal planes by grappling to them and surfing on them, then hijacking them while still in the air. Also, RIDING ON MISSILES! *Guitar riff*

1. The Saints Row Series. When there was no grand theft auto, this was grand theft auto. When GTA got too serious, this brought the fun. Then it let me skydive in a tank and then in the 4th installment I got to destroy a bollywood singing alien partially by playing through a streets of rage parody and in the open world you get to destroy the alien's empire by using super powers. Some people would say that's too wacky, but screw them. I had a lot of fun and that's what matters to me in the end. Not a gripping, emotional story, not a bunch of symbolism, not how good the graphics look, but how much campy, wacky fun I got to have. The industry seems to be forgetting that more and more these days.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
I cannot arrange these in any order because I'm afraid of big decisions.

--Xenoblade Chronicles

--Infamous 2

--Batman: Arkham City

--Super Smash Bros. Brawl

--Final Fantasy XIII

If I can honorable mention: Saint's Row the Third, Assassin's Creed 2, Journey, Heavy Rain, Halo 4, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, Castle Crashers, and the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword are all very significant runners-up.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
This is a toughie. I loved this last generation and it's hard to narrow down all the games to five. My favorite games, in no order would have to be:

Deadly Premonitions: For how much this game's controls sucked and how badly outdated it was, what an amazing experience. A loveable quirky game, I found myself playing ironically at first but actually truly falling in love with it. This game even got me to watch one of my favorite TV series again: Twin Peaks. Not only was this game great, it had a crossover effect.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2: While I did enjoy the campaign, this is probably the first multiplayer shooter that I loved. The only other being MAG. Not only was I good (which never is the case), it incorporated a need for great team play with fantastic maps.

Fallout: NV: I loved the story, the characters, and the environment. The lands were vast and uniquely different, leading me to dump several days of gameplay into it.

The Orange Box: Most likely my favorite game of this generation. I really don't think there's a need to expand on how fantastic each game on this disc was.

Red Dead Redemption: Not only was this game set in the most BA era, it really did an amazing job capturing all the interesting stereotypes that come to mind. The story was sublime and had me at tears at times. Crazy coming from a video game. Also, the expansion Red Dead Nightmare might have been equally as good.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll split it up into console and handheld to have an excuse to post more favorites. ^.^

Consoles from the launch of the 360 to when the Xbox One and PS4 came out.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. My favorite would be Twilight Princess, but I REALLY prefer the Gamecube version.

2. Super Mario Galaxy

3. Halo 3

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

5. Halo 4

Honorable mentions: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Gears of War 2, Uncharted 2, Halo Reach, COD Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed II, Metroid Prime 3

Handhelds, same time frame as the console list.

1. Pokemon Black

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

3. Pokemon Black 2/White 2

4. Pokemon X/Y

5. Pokemon Platinum

Honorable mentions: Pokemon Heart Gold, The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Pokemon really took over my handheld world in recent years.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It's a tough one, eapecially since i still need to play a lot of promising games. So far it's something like:
Catherine
Valkyria Chronicles
WarioWare - Smooth Moves
Demon's Souls
Ridge Racer 7

But there's so much to chose from, this is just some of my favourites. I would also mention Persona 4 Arena, Armored Core V, Virtua Fighter V, Dark Souls, No More Heroes, Mario Galaxy 2, Trauma Center, Xcom, 999, Phoenix Wright and Justice for all, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin and a lot of other stuff.

Worst Games in no particular order:
Enslaved
Alone In The Dark
Legendary

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
Demon's Souls - Noticed it came up on PSN for sale, downloaded it and that was enough to get me hooked, probably my favourite game on PS3.

Dark Souls - Similar to Demon's Souls, it's a game that never gets old for me, no matter how many times I finish it.

Skyrim - Bought it on release and enjoyed it a fair bit, the enjoyment escalated because of the Steam Workshop, so many interesting mods on there.

Battlefield 3 - The first real multiplayer FPS I ever played with friends, which meant I didn't care if the game had bugs, I was having far too much fun to care.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Groovitron. That is all.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
1. Fallout: New Vegas. Completely shat on 3 in terms of environment, storyline, characters, atmosphere, gameplay and ESPECIALLY ending. Brilliant mods as well.

2. Saints Row IV/The Third. Great sandbox fun on a solid base. Can't wait for the mission replay mod.

3. Dawn of War II. The only RTS I've played since Red Alert 2. So different, but so fun. Loved the RPG elements.

4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within. The only TBS I've ever enjoyed, brilliant fun.

5. Spec Ops: The Line. Great narrative, so good I can forgive the average gameplay.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
In no particular order:

1. XCOM: EU/EW
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Civilization 5
4. Dark Souls
5. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

This is too hard. D:

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
1. Bioshock Completely mind-blowing, the only thing it really needed was duel wielding Plasmids. The story was fantastic, and the sound of picking up liquids is forever burned into my brain. I've replayed this game so many times.

2. Skyrim Got this one on release day, but I just got the DLC and Falskaar on the PC. I would mention New Vegas, but it's basically the same game, and Far Cry 3's tagline just describes it better than FC3. Consider it an extension.

3. Borderlands 2 An amazing shooter filled with variety, tons of content (I never even got to grab all the DLC yet) and an actual story to boot! And a great one at that, fantastic villain, two twists, such plot much shoot.

4. Farcry 3(and Blood Dragon) Well, the story isn't very strong, but there are interesting missions. The whole thing falls apart a few times, like a kid's school project on the bumpy car ride to school. But the gun feel is nice, there's a decent bit to explore, and the island is big, but not too big. Basically this one gets in for sheer fun and beauty. Blood Dragon is basically the real Duke Nukem Forever. You know...if it were good. That one. Yeah. Roadhouse.

5. Pokemon X Not only turning the Pokemon games on their ear forever in the change to a pseudo 3D, the 3DS gave Game Freak the power to create amazing set pieces and beautiful graphics. The story touched me because Team Flare's philosophy used to be pretty close to my own, so I could sympathize somewhat, while still yearning to stop them. The new roster was pretty cool too, while rounding out some of the more neglected types, although not having the best stats, I'm glad there were new ghost types.

Honorable mentions include: Infamous 2, God of War 3, Uncharted 3, and Arkham City. That last one is made even better by the Beyond costume with working wings.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
1. Bioshock
2. Unreal Tournament 3
3. Halo 3
4. Elder Scrolls Oblivion-Skyrim
5. Dragon Age Origins

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Gonna have to keep this short but I only have a top 3 the last 2 are to hard to tell really:-

1)Valkyria Chronicles - just an amazing game my second favourite of all time actually and I usually hate strategy games.
2)Xenoblade Chronicles - probably my second favourite RPG of all time
3)Mario Galaxy (1) - Along with Super Mario Bros 3 its my favourite Mario game of all time.