Your Ultimate Game

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
OK, so while in the shower this morning, as where I get all my good thinking done, I thought about an interesting situation. If you could contract as many big publishers as you wanted, and could assign them to any part of a game, who would you use and how to create the best game for YOUR tastes. I made up some categories, but you can use any you feel like. Here's my list:

Characters: Naughty Dog
Weapons: Insomniac
Textures: Crytek
Plot: Obsidian, 2K/Irrational
Enviroments: Avalanche, Crytek, Bethesda
Looting: Gearbox
Engine: CryEngine3, worked on by: Midway, Volition
Lesser Mechanics: Rockstar, Natsume
Obligatory online deathmatch: Valve
Optimization: Crytek
Easter Eggs/Secrets: Neversoft
Enemies: Insomniac, Game Freak
Combat: Namco Tales, Obsidian
Vehicals: Criterion
Publisher: Sony
Marketing: Zenimax

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Wow you've got quite a list there. All I can think of is Bethesda for environment, Bioware for Characters, and... uhh... Bungie for Story? I haven't really thought this through very well. In all honesty if anyone actually tried this I think we would end up with a cancerous mess. Creation needs context. The whole is more than the sum of its parts and all that.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I'd like a free-roam game where any number of your friends can join, and you can choose the time period and setting, and you are a warrior fighting to save the city and you must build an army of some kind

:p

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Put Alundra, Soul Blazer, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Soul Reaver, Demon's Souls, Tenchu, Super Metroid, Borderlands, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia, and Skyrim in a blender and add a pinch of Joss Whedon.

I have no idea what the hell you would get, but it might just be the most epic, difficult, depressing, scary, lootable, time bending, postapocalyptic, funny, stealthy, hack and slashy game ever....IN SPAAAAAAAACE

RADIALTHRONE1

Feb 6, 2011
I would probably take something that sounded like a good idea, but wasn't made correctly. Take Dead Island, idea being "open world zombie kill fest", mix in some Fallout 3 atmosphere of "apocalypse", a Battlefield worth of weapon variety and CHANGABLE additions, any system where you can actually chose WHERE and WHEN you save the game, the already present co-op system, a HUGE map with no "you cant go there until later" areas, and a couple other things i cant/am to lazy to think of right now.

Captcha: pool hall
Captcha, i think you may be onto something here.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm not sure exactly, but let's try combining Fallout games, Saints Row 3, and Skies of Arcadia and just see what happens.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
They tried to, but I didn't really like Brutal Legends :\

Maybe Deus Ex with upgraded graphics and the weapons replaced by Painkiller ones.

EDIT: OH and Saints Row 2 level of customization.

superdark

Jul 7, 2012
All that I really cared to answer.

Characters: Bioware
Textures: The Chinese Room
Plot: Frictional Games
Enviroments: Notch :D
Engine: Valve
Easter Eggs/Secrets: Rockstar

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'm not a hard guy to please.

Re-release KOTOR in Mass Effect engine along with apology letter for The Old Republic and I'll be a happy man.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Right now?

Gameplay mechanics - From Software
Writing - Collaborative effort between Obsidian and Bioware

That is all. Literally.. Demon's Souls engine (not dark given its lower reso) with good in depth writing would make the ultimate RPG. Thats really all I want or need.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Monster Hunter that I could play in English on the PC, online, with a 360 controller.

Damn you Capcom... just... dammit... :'(

(LOCALIZE IT ALREADY! X'O)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
EHKOS said:
OK, so while in the shower this morning, as where I get all my good thinking done, I thought about an interesting situation. If you could contract as many big publishers as you wanted, and could assign them to any part of a game, who would you use and how to create the best game for YOUR tastes. I made up some categories, but you can use any you feel like. Here's my list:

Characters: Naughty Dog
Weapons: Insomniac
Textures: Crytek
Plot: Obsidian, 2K/Irrational
Enviroments: Avalanche, Crytek, Bethesda
Looting: Gearbox
Engine: CryEngine3, worked on by: Midway, Volition
Lesser Mechanics: Rockstar, Natsume
Obligatory online deathmatch: Valve
Optimization: Crytek
Easter Eggs/Secrets: Neversoft
Enemies: Insomniac, Game Freak
Combat: Namco Tales, Obsidian
Vehicals: Criterion
Publisher: Sony
Marketing: Zenimax
That's a frankenstein nightmare right there, that would make the development of Duke Nukem Forever seem like a success story by comparison.

You didn't even specify the genre of the game.

Pick maybe 2 studios, or 1 studio + a couple industry veterans and one likely publisher. A commercial game engine by another is alright.

Something like an oldskool, party-based CRPG by Obsidian, but the coding, quality control and publishing all done by Blizzard.
That could actually work.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
As I've said twice before, a game where every single videogame character ever fight to the death.

Edit: I seem to have found one of my ideas for a videogame series a while back, maybe it counts?
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Maybe team up with Irrational Games (makers of Bioshock) to create a trilogy with each game (in that order) being called:

Apollo
Artemis
Aether

It would be completely in first-person, but playing in the roles of multiple people, good, bad and rogue.

It's basically Sci-fi with magic. The Human/Elf/Dwarf home world is in chaos, so the Humans evacuated and colonized other planets and left the Elves and Dwarfs to fight each other. In these new planets, the Humans discovered a new energy resource, 'Apollo' and grants them magical powers. Since it's in the future, the player can use magic as well as guns.

I don't want to reveal to much of the story just yet...

Edit: Possibly have a prequel, Athena, where it is based on the Elf-Dwarf war taking place on the home world.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Hmm...

I'd say an RPG with;

Square Enix for graphics,

Atlus for story/writing, and gameplay.

That could be a pretty interesting game.

If all else fails, I would like to see a Final Fantasy game developed by Mistwalker but published by Square. Get Sakaguchi to make an entry in the series again.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Vern5 said:
My Ultimate Game:

Mount & Blade... IN SPACE.
Starfighter & Blaster?

Anyway, on topic:

Characters: Free Radical
Weapons: Rareware (circa about 1999)
Textures: Who cares
Plot: Pandemic
Enviroments: Avalanche Studios
Looting: Ion Storm
Engine: Probably Avalanche engine 2.0 (or 3) using Havok physics.
Lesser Mechanics: Pandemic
Obligatory online deathmatch: Rejected as completely non-obligatory after all.
Optimization: Someone... good at it? Valve?
Easter Eggs/Secrets: Rareware, Free Radical.
Enemies: Pandemic
Combat: Pandemic, Rareware, FASA Studios
Vehicles: Reflections Interactive, DICE (circa 2002), FASA Studios
Publisher: Lucasarts (circa 1990-2005)
Marketing: Microsoft

To this I will add:

Interiors: Rareware (1997), Ion Storm
Mission Design: Pandemic
Side-Mission Design: Reflections Interactive, Free Radical.
User Interface: Bohemia Interactive
Menus: Pandemic
Voice Recording: FASA Studios
Motion Capture: Pandemic
Ragdolls: Epic Games, Taleworlds Interactive
Quality Assurance: Rareware
Testing: Valve
Packaging and Manual: FASA Studios
Post Release Support: Mojang AB