Your View on Vista

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
LeonHellsvite said:
Hmmm i own an iMac so i cant say for sure, my school comps say windows vista but have windows XP format >.> my friends vista works fine (well it does that whole alow thing but we turned that off and now its fine)
That's because there is an option in Vista to switch to a layout that looks more like XP. Sure is handy in the Control Panel. I have a hard time finding stuff in Vista's version of Control Panel.

I have Vista and XP dual booted on my HD. Even after a couple of years, I still use XP 98% of the time and hardly ever use Vista. The OS is ok I guess, but I just got tired of fiddling with it to try to get it to play my older games. I also seem to have less trouble getting my video card to work with even newer games on XP than I do with Vista. I even bought an Nvidia 8800 just to use it with the highly touted DirectX10 on Vista. Wound up uninstalling the card and reinstalling my old NVidia 7900 and using it mostly on XP. I had so many problems with the 8800 card and Vista that I just gave up after a while. Sold the 8800 card to a friend.

I hope Windows 7 is less of a pain in the neck to work with than Vista is when it comes to older stuff. I would really rather not have to replace almost every game, hardware and software I have just to use a new OS.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
Vista itself was never as bad as people liked to say, and after SP1, all the major issues were addressed. When Vista came out, it introduced UAC, in an annoying way, but honestly is was needed and should have been done long ago. This caused issues with many poorly written programs, i.e. nVidia drivers, that assumed administrator control. As soon as nVidia released updated drivers, by-by problems. The main reason I hear now when XP fanboys ***** about Vista is that is has a different organization scheme the XP, in that it actually has one. I know learning new things can be scary, but if you give it a try, you will see that Vista has a very logical and intuitive layout, while XP doesn't. So it is perfectly usable OS.

Now that I have said all of that, Windows 7 blows the pants off of Vista, and has been my OS of choice since I got my hands on the beta, and I refuse to go back.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I encounter it regualry at work and cant stand it. It eats memory and there was no reason to change the layout from xp.

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
I really like Superfetch. It makes my laptop run very fast and I never have to wait for stuff to load :D The only thing I don't like about vista is how fussy it is with drivers. I bought an audio interface a few weeks ago and it wouldn't work on my laptop at all and worked perfectly on my XP PC downstairs.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
I use it.
I guess it's okay.
Same here.
As long as you turn that bloody stupid waste of bloody time "User Account Controls" off. What kind of paranoid cockflute came up with that idea?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Vista should be banned worldwide because of its steadfast hatred of games and infinite whining about changes it makes to ITSELF!.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
I had Vista installed on my laptop for a few months and for the most part it was fine. Granted I didn't do anything resource intensive on my laptop but the thing that bothered me was Vista consumed almost three times as much memory as XP. I never installed Vista on my gaming desktop so I can't judge game performance but my friend runs Vista and can't run older games (such as Tribes or Dungeon Siege) under Vista.

I see Vista as the new Windows ME and hopefully 7 will be the new XP.

Oh and if anyone was wondering I installed Ubuntu on my Laptop and never went back.

FirmlyUninformative

Nov 17, 2008
With a bit of tweaking, it's not quite as horrifying as it seems at first glance in most respects.

That is, until you try to get a game working on it. To this day, my laptop with Vista on it refuses to play Freelancer properly despite everything I've tried.
On the rather bizarre other hand, it plays The Nomad Soul, which XP doesn't for a reason I've now forgotten.
So I guess those two things sort of cancel each other out.

chase211

Sep 22, 2008
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Simply express your veiw on it

MY view: Hate it simply Hate it can't find anything good about it (other then the pen ball game)
it's so bad that it got banned in Texas ,,screwed up my computer when i installed it and made a full 2 weeks of my life filled with frustration.

yep thats my view now whats your veiw and experince ?
Nothing wrong with it, I have had almost no problems at all (and I use the 64bit version too so I should be seeing more compatibility problems than most) to be honest Warcraft 2 is the only game I haven't been able to play.

IMO those who have a problem with vista are the equivalent of fanboys, they just want to jump on the bandwagon cuz thats what everyone else is doing.

ps: if you actually use windows vista with UAC turned on your either insain or retarded, I would absolutely have a problem w/ vista if I had that shit on.

I'm a hardcore PC enthusiast, I enjoy being able to have upwards of 4gb of ram, and I enjoy directx 10. Microsoft deffinatly screwed the pooch by allowing companies to put vista on their shitty bottom end laptops that simply can't handle it, but if your PC is even remotely good or new vista runes like a dream...and quite frankly vista shouldn't go on anything over 2 years old.

Yes Vista is more resource intensive than XP was, XP was the same way over 98 if you remember. I personally don't notice any slowdown on any game but crysis with everything maxxed out (godamn crysis).

painfull2006

Jul 2, 2008
It was a step forward in the terms of things it can do

but a big step back in the things it can do well

if you get me :p

CAPPINJACK

Dec 4, 2008
avykins said:
Vista is just Windows M.E V2. A fucking joke and I refuse to touch it. I view it as no better than malware and would not let it anywhere near my PC.
Clearly you've never used Millenium Edition or else you wouldn't draw that comparison. That is if you had more than 1/2 of a brain cell left in that skull and weren't throwing out baseless accusations. You view it as malware because? Oh right, you have nothing to back that up and you were basically spewing bullshit.

Listen, do the world a favor and sell your computer. Think of the benefits... such as:
1. You'll have more money in your pocket.
2. You won't be able to make stupid remarks because you're retarded.
3. And most importantly, we won't have to read tripe like this again.

Until then learn to think for yourself and analyze something critically before opening your talk-hole.

rocketseed

Apr 15, 2009
god i hate vista i would have just stayed with xp intill win7 came out but my old computer compleatly died on me and i had to get a new one :(

ify_

Mar 19, 2009
headshotcatcher said:
Name one bad thing that can't be fixed within one minute.
1. Hardware incompatibility
(I'll stop there)

I'm curious as to how many Vista users installed the operating system themselves. More to the point, I'm guessing that most of the people who say they have no problem with Vista also bought their computers with Vista pre-installed. Again, I could be completely wrong but I'm curious to know.

I had heard a lot of people say they liked Vista so when I rebuilt my wife's computer (about 6 - 12 months ago) I decided to give Vista a whirl. I was careful to purchase components that were all "Vista ready" and assembled them with due care.

Upon installation Vista warned me that some of the components may not function correctly because they were not "compatible" (!!!) though they all claimed to be. I never got sound to work at all and never got the video above the default 800x600 resolution. I hammered on it for a while and could never find any drivers that worked.

Needless to say I did a quick re-format as I installed XP and about 30 minutes later my wife's computer was up and running 100%...no drips, no runs, no errors.

So, if you're using Vista and it works fine for you...who installed the OS? Was it you or did you buy it that way? ...maybe I should start a new poll.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
i like it... i've been using it for a year and a half and find it more reliable than XP. most people who don't like it have never used it, and are just repeating what other people say about it (mostly from youtube comments) in order to become more popular in online societys and make themselves appear more intelligent.