Your View on Vista

ify_

Mar 19, 2009
dwightsteel said:
Either way, you all better get used to it. Vista is here to stay, and soon, it's gonna be all there is.
If I'm not mistaken Microsoft has said they will no longer develop Vista in favor of developing it's successor, Windows 7.

In other words, even Microsoft is working hard to put Vista behind them. So there *is* an alternative coming down the pike.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I use it, but that's simply because (For now) it's working and I can't be bothered to install any other drive. However, it does truely suck compared to other ones. Microsoft are already making a replacement for it.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Meh. There are times that I get extremely annoyed at it (windows explorer randomly crashing while viewing directories, the system tray not loading completely,...), but for the most part it works well enough.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Agayek said:
I haven't had any real problems with it, and I've been using it for a couple years now.
Yeah, second'd. I can't imagine trying to use XP on my tablet PC. It would be a terrible, terrible, limiting experience. XP has nothing on Vista's incredible tablet features. I've used XP on one of the first next-gen tablets to come out (circa 2005) and it was pretty much worthless. Vista runs flawlessly (never ever had a single system crash or bluescreen), smoothly, and beautifully. It's wireless networking features also dominate XP's -- better connectivity, no random disconnects, it's easier to fix, it can fix itself!, and it's less likely to need fixing in the first place. Contrast that to my wireless experiences on XP SP3 that led to a downgrade to SP2 and two different wireless cards. Yeah, nightmarish.

The fact that people still believe Vista is evil, buggy, and so forth is amusing to me. Obviously, they haven't used it and can only remember the negative, sensationalist press that circulated immediately after it came out... Just like every other new product. And then there are the folks who've only used Vista on crappy, 5-year-old computers at their school or library. Wow, Vista runs slow on a computer not designed to run it? What a shock! What, because Vista runs slow on your 1.0GHz PIII means it runs slow on a 3GHz Core2Duo? Er, no. My almost-two-years-old tablet with a paltry 1.8GHz Core2Duo and 2GB of DDR2 RAM runs it (Business and now Ultimate) perfectly.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
ify_ said:
headshotcatcher said:
Name one bad thing that can't be fixed within one minute.
1. Hardware incompatibility
(I'll stop there)

I'm curious as to how many Vista users installed the operating system themselves. More to the point, I'm guessing that most of the people who say they have no problem with Vista also bought their computers with Vista pre-installed. Again, I could be completely wrong but I'm curious to know.

I had heard a lot of people say they liked Vista so when I rebuilt my wife's computer (about 6 - 12 months ago) I decided to give Vista a whirl. I was careful to purchase components that were all "Vista ready" and assembled them with due care.

Upon installation Vista warned me that some of the components may not function correctly because they were not "compatible" (!!!) though they all claimed to be. I never got sound to work at all and never got the video above the default 800x600 resolution. I hammered on it for a while and could never find any drivers that worked.

Needless to say I did a quick re-format as I installed XP and about 30 minutes later my wife's computer was up and running 100%...no drips, no runs, no errors.

So, if you're using Vista and it works fine for you...who installed the OS? Was it you or did you buy it that way? ...maybe I should start a new poll.
I installed Vista 64 myself. Never had a driver problem or a piece of hardware that didn't work. And I didn't look for Vista ready anything. I just bought a rig and bought Vista and installed it. Been using that install for 4 months. I've had 2 crashes. And I treat it pretty harshly.
Crysis runs fine as do anything else. Only problems I've had was getting System Shock (1) and Baldur's Gate (1) running. First could be done by using Dosbox and the second was a language problem. Nothing to do with Vista, but it seems that my copy of BG will only run on a system set up with US language.
Oh, and for some reason Steam tends to crap out on occasion. But I blame Valve for that one.

All in all, I actually quite like Vista. I feel annoyed when working at my lappy with XP as it really is a worse system.

And when we are talking about UAC, well, at least you don't have to type your root password every time as I do in Linux. People kept bitching about security in XP. Then M$ try to fix it by making the user not run as admin as default and actively look at what he is doing. And then people ***** some more. So all in all, people are idiots.

Jak The Great

Jun 24, 2008
I recently bought a new laptop that came with the 64 bit version of vista... you think your stuff is in-compatable now, wait till you get that one...
I would put xp on that system, but I don't feel like spending another 200 bucks ti get something that will be out of date (theoretically) very soon

I have to ask, what a dual core with 4GB of ram needs a 64 bit version for (correct me if I am wrong but the 32 bit versions will read 4GB?)

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
ify_ said:
headshotcatcher said:
Name one bad thing that can't be fixed within one minute.
1. Hardware incompatibility
(I'll stop there)

I'm curious as to how many Vista users installed the operating system themselves. More to the point, I'm guessing that most of the people who say they have no problem with Vista also bought their computers with Vista pre-installed. Again, I could be completely wrong but I'm curious to know.

I had heard a lot of people say they liked Vista so when I rebuilt my wife's computer (about 6 - 12 months ago) I decided to give Vista a whirl. I was careful to purchase components that were all "Vista ready" and assembled them with due care.

Upon installation Vista warned me that some of the components may not function correctly because they were not "compatible" (!!!) though they all claimed to be. I never got sound to work at all and never got the video above the default 800x600 resolution. I hammered on it for a while and could never find any drivers that worked.

Needless to say I did a quick re-format as I installed XP and about 30 minutes later my wife's computer was up and running 100%...no drips, no runs, no errors.

So, if you're using Vista and it works fine for you...who installed the OS? Was it you or did you buy it that way? ...maybe I should start a new poll.
I did not install it myself, exactly. However I would have chosen for Vista anyway because of direct X 10.

I myself have no problems with hardware incompatibility, eventhough I have only the same motherboard and processor as when I bought it.

Are you sure the computer of your wife isn't just a bit too old?

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
The Windows 7 beta is better than Vista ever was or will be.

So when Windows 7 will be released, that's what I'll be forced to move onto.

Until then, I use XP.

Granted, I should just use Linux, but... ;/

r4ndom

Aug 24, 2008
jeretik said:
My view on Vista is that I use WinXP SP2 until Win7 comes out and then I install Win7.
Same boat. Recently got a new box and opted for XP over Vista without a second thought.

Vista just doesn't work for me. Mostly minor niggles, but plenty of them. Roll on Win7.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's fine, I've been using Ultimate 64 bit and have yet to have a windows based problem. ( I say that because I have had computer trouble that being ram). I enjoy the small perks here and there but I look forward to Windows 7.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Using it right now and it suits me better than XP did. I personally like it, i think its attractive and honestly i have no idea why people bash it so much. It never failed me so far

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
Haven't seen a single problem, most likely due to it being my third used computer, behind my mac and my gaming build.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
jeretik said:
My view on Vista is that I use WinXP SP2 until Win7 comes out and then I install Win7.
I had Windows XP.....but then my laptop died and I had to get a new one....and all the new ones came with Vista installed.

Vista uses way too much memory for stupid things.

Dr.Sean

Apr 5, 2009
What is wrong with everyone? Most people act like it's worse than eating a scrotum, but y'know what? I LOVE VISTA. THERE I SAID IT AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN. I LOVE VISTA.

It's got DirectX10 making everything look epicly good, yet there is only one problem I have with it. At times I'll play an old, 16-bit game and out of no-where vista shits its pants and makes everything look worse than my ass+barbecue, however this can be fixed by pressing START or CTRL+ALT+DEL to exit the game then get back in it to fix this.

On the other hand, doing this gave me the BSOD once, mostly because I was using steam and everyone was trying to talk to me and I had to press start every other minute to respond to something RIDICULOUS from a random person on my friends list.

Something that pissed me way the fuck off about XP was that I had to wait 5-40 fucking minutes for the thingy that lets you turn the computer off. You know what I mean, that rectangle with Restart, Shutdown, and Sleep mode. They fixed this in Vista, now I click a thingy in the start menu and the "Shutdown, restart and sleep mode" thing pops up instantly in the corner.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Simply express your veiw on it

MY view: Hate it simply Hate it can't find anything good about it (other then the pen ball game)
it's so bad that it got banned in Texas ,,screwed up my computer when i installed it and made a full 2 weeks of my life filled with frustration.

yep thats my view now whats your veiw and experince ?
That's BS. It did not get banned in Texas. I live in Texas and it is still here.
I honestly don't see the problem with Vista, other than the fact that it updates every once in a while. Something that I ignore for like a month and then let it update when I'm not doing anything important.

I like it... and don't understand why people hate it so much.