Your Vision for the Future of Computing Devices

jwonno

Oct 30, 2011
So what with the splurge of new concepts and devices in recent years, I thought it'd be nice to hear what you guys think might be in store for computing in 5, 10, 20 or even 50 years from now.

To start, let me break down what I believe to be the primary and most useful functions of the current 'computer concepts' available today.

• Smartphone - Immediate information & communication. This device is essentially for getting snippets of info as and when they are needed, which is why it is compact and uses apps to quickly reach relevant data., as well as making connections.
    Tablet - Portable media consumption. This device assumes the role of providing entertainment and information in larger chunks whilst still maintaining good portability. It is mostly for personal use due to its size.
    Phablet - Pseudo class of devices which can be referred to as super-sized smartphones or miniaturized tablets. This device is for those who can't or won't use either, so makes do with the compromises to get the best of both worlds.
    Netbook - Lightweight produtivity. This device is designed to get simple tasks done, like data entry & handling, and accessing systems remotely.
    Laptop - Portable multi-functional. This device is capable of consuming media, creating content and managing systems.
    Desktop - Static number-crunching. This device can handle large volumes of information and tasks, providing a point of focus for data to be held.
    Integrated - Specific job handling. These devices are the computers we forget about which run everyday tasks within a system (TVs, cars, machinery etc)

NOTE: any or none of these may have touchscreens, I am merely referring to concepts.

My vision of the future:
  • The smartphone will be de facto means of access to information and storage of personal identification/content for everyone. It may change forms and interfaces but it will remain a portal to everything we need on our person. Perhaps a combination of a codec (Metal Gear anyone?) + wrist device to allow verbal and physical inputs, receiving information via visual & audio cues.

The desktop will be gone in replace of laptops which may have expandable/connectible displays (2D/3D projections, stretchable screens, who knows?), involve long-life modular systems providing complete accessibility & configurability (i.e. processor to fit all boards, boards to support all peripherals, etc.), identify content & function relevant to the user/location/etc, and be capable of all creation and consumption based needs.

Integrated systems will provide all background processes to automate tasks that can be computed (transport, mass-production, utilities, etc.) and not require direct input other than technical maintenance.
    The rest could still exist but, given the above, would be less relevant.

So what is your vision?