Your Voice and You

The

Jan 24, 2012
So I've got a very deep voice for my age, which stirs up hilarity for my friends and family on a regular basis. They tell me I should be a narrator for the Discovery channel, since I can talk at length with this deep, monotone drawl and not have emotion pop up. Oftentimes, no one can hear anything I say because it escapes their range of hearing, or whatever it's called.

It never really crossed my mind that the mere sound of the voice could actually have more impact than we thought.

So how has your voice pitch affected your life? Is it hilarious, or deathly sad? Does it cause people's ears to bleed, or does it get you laid an infinite amount of times?

EDIT: Since everyone's talking about accents now, I might as well add my own. I was born in Russia and currently living in Canada, but I don't have any accents in both. I can speak perfect English, and if I need to talk to someone in Russian, I just slip into it. I notice that when I speak English, I'm often using shortcuts and sectioning off sentences to speak. Can't really explain it.

Dec 14, 2009
You tell me :D

My voice sounds completely different in my head, then it does when I hear it back.

I don't really have an accent, so it makes it difficult to pin down from which part of the UK I'm from :D

Also, I really like Nasrin's voice, and Fappy is sexy.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I actually have no idea.

I personally hate the sound of my voice, but I'm told it's fine. I think I have a very neutral sounding voice since I do speak very quietly, but I do have to speak a little slowly sometimes since the occasional stammer will come out.

Dec 14, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I actually have no idea.

I personally hate the sound of my voice, but I'm told it's fine. I think I have a very neutral sounding voice since I do speak very quietly, but I do have to speak a little slowly sometimes since the occasional stammer will come out.
You ain't no Bostonian :D

I don't ever remember you stammering, so good job on being able to speak.

You should be very proud :D

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I actually have no idea.

That's probably because I force myself talk slow. :D

And hooray for not having an accent that's extremely noticeable! :D

Dec 14, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I actually have no idea.

That's probably because I force myself talk slow. :D

And hooray for not having an accent that's extremely noticeable! :D
Neither you or Fappy have an accent I could place. Neither did Nasrin, now that I think about it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
From what I've been told I have a fairly good voice, it's deep and southern English so I generally get seen as posh and well educated, which luckily I am so it fits me perfectly.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I have a pretty high pitched voice and I dislike it quite a bit. Doesn't help that I look much younger than I am so the voice doesn't help at all. I always warn people on here when I talk to them that I am actually 21 I just don't sound like it.

Edit: Here's an example of my voice. I made this video a few weeks ago as a way to show someone how to make my avatar using gimp.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Some people say I sound American.
Some people say I sound British.
And some people say I sound Australian.

So I'll just say that I sound like a unique combination depending on the conversation.
Though over the years that I have heard it grown/matured ... I don't really like it. :/

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
When i did raiding in WoW , people told me i sound like a canadian buffalo bill . It made for some halarious moments . I personally think my voice is fine . Although i sou d much cooler in my head.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I've got a pretty thick Yorkshire accent and it's pretty high so I sound really fucking dopey.

I don't like my voice.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
My mums birtday is today, so ofcourse i had to sing. The look on her face was pretty much summed up with "oh god please stop.

Relative deep voice, for some reason i always sound high pitched through Teamspeak. Couldn't hold a tune if my life depended on it.

It kinda sucks, but i can make it really loud, so shouting is easy. And fun.

Dec 14, 2009
Hazy992 said:
I've got a pretty thick Yorkshire accent and it's pretty high so I sound really fucking dopey.

I don't like my voice.
'Azey, he come from Yoooooorkshire.

Up on t'internet, typn' posts.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Hazy992 said:

I don't like my voice.

Hush Nottingham boy! You can't even decide if you're Northern or Southern!

Coward! :D

Dec 14, 2009
Hazy992 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hazy992 said:

I don't like my voice.

Hush Nottingham boy! You can't even decide if you're Northern or Southern!

Coward! :D
I get to pick which suits me best for the situation :D

Pies? Northern

Narcissistic snobbery? Southern :D

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I've got a fairly low voice, but I'm also told I sound perpetually monotone/sarcastic. Which can be problematic when I'm trying to give a genuine compliment or convey enthusiasm.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I've been told my voice sounds more girly then my words (if that makes any damn sense) But over xbox live I've been told I sound like a boy having not gone through puberty..which is weird because I am a 17 year old girl..*shrugs* But I do have a habit of getting loud if I'm really excited, and sometimes I talk to low when I'm just casually speaking.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
If you've ever seen Scrubs, Elliot's squeaky high-pitched ranting, that's me when excited. Like Carla, only a few people can understand what I'm saying. Usually, however, my voice is I suppose generic British female.

So, for reference: Emma Watson, Sarah Chalke when excited.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I love how nobody but Daystar gave an example of their voice. I think I shall continue the trend.

I have a deep, flat, monotone voice. Very dull and lifeless, with very little emotion showing through. Though to me, my voice is much higher pitched than it really is, and is very emotive. I hate listening to recordings of my voice. It's just really, really bad...

As to accents, again, flat, dull, monotone. There's a bit of a Bostonian accent in there, but it's nowhere as strong as it was when I was younger.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
wintercoat said:
I love how nobody but Daystar gave an example of their voice.
I would but the only video I have that includes my voice is a crappy tutorial on how to make my avatar using gimp. But now that you point it out I might as well edit it into my post because someone has to!