Your weird gaming habits

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sometimes when playing games like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, or similar action games, I imagine Piccolo shouting in my head Dodge when using the Dodge button to dodge an attack. Or sometimes I'll say it out loud in his voice.

Oh me too! I also find myself quoting Krillen from DBZA if I'm watching something go horribly wrong, and the game gives you a moment to soak in the chaos.

"Good job team!" clearly having done NOTHING to help the situation. (couldn't find a quick clip of that from whatever episode it was from. I think it was during the Freiza arc)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I was taught to play when in a CSGO Clan and I have extremely limited use of my left hand so my control scheme is probably a little odd.

CSGO Competitive play
WASD - ULDR
Q- Primary weapon
E- secondary
R- Knife
F - use
G- toss weapon
Space - Jump
M1 - fire
M2 - zoom
M3 - crouch
M4 - walk
scroll up - grenade select
scroll down - grenade toss
scroll button - reload

I'd post my BF config but I suspect it would cause color out of space moments for some.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I was taught to play when in a CSGO Clan and I have extremely limited use of my left hand so my control scheme is probably a little odd.

CSGO Competitive play
WASD - ULDR
Q- Primary weapon
E- secondary
R- Knife
F - use
G- toss weapon
Space - Jump
M1 - fire
M2 - zoom
M3 - crouch
M4 - walk
scroll up - grenade select
scroll down - grenade toss
scroll button - reload

I'd post my BF config but I suspect it would cause color out of space moments for some.
Seems perfectly fine to me. Not exactly a standard configuration but I think it makes perfect sense.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Another one that I developed due to Nioh 2, though I'm sure any game with this content would probably inspire it. But, any time I go sit down in one of the mission hot springs, for the healing buff, I sing "HEEEEEY!!! It's too HOT in the hot tub!! HEH! Gonna make me SWEAT....AH!! HAH!!"

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Am I the only person who will start a game doing everything possible (side quests, collectibles, etc) but the closer I get to the ending the more I rush to the ending. I tend to get like 75% of the way through the game being a completionist, but then I'm like "fuckit" and i rush that final 25%.

Of course this only applies to game that I actually start off really liking.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Am I the only person who will start a game doing everything possible (side quests, collectibles, etc) but the closer I get to the ending the more I rush to the ending. I tend to get like 75% of the way through the game being a completionist, but then I'm like "fuckit" and i rush that final 25%.

For me it's just more of a case of "Do I want to waste more time on a side quest, just to say I did it? Or do I want to focus on the story?" In most cases, various achievement trash objectives are not compelling enough to make me want to do them. "You still haven't found the 300 pieces of Poopium we scattered around the map!" Me: Ok, and what do I get when I do that? "....you get to say you found all the Poop!" Me: .....yeah fuck that, I'll go do the story mission and be done with this game. Because I essentially am done with it anyway, as I don't consider that "content", it's just busy work. And fuck busy work.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Here is another one.

In survival/limited resource games, I have a pretty awful habit of needing to search everywhere before progressing.

This really sucked in The Last of Us 2, because the areas were quite large. They were great for combat encounters, but sweeping up after a fight meant that I was jumping in/out of about a dozen houses/shops, searching every drawer, and looting every corpse.

This was especially bad in that large, open area when you played as Ellie.

Completely fucked with the pacing.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
In "historical" shooters like WW2 CoD, Battlefield etc. I've got a really strong compulsion to only use weapons from the actual country I'm playing. In BFV this meant that my Axis and Allies loadouts were entirely different, because I just couldn't bring myself to use a British gun as a German soldier and vice versa.
I do something kind of similar.

When playing BF1, I just found the available weapon sandbox to be really strange, because there were so many SMGs, LMGs, weird proto-assault rifles, whatever. The game never really felt like WW1 to me, so I often ended up running around with a scopeless bolt-action rifle, just to make the game feel like it is from its own setting.

I recall doing a similar thing in BFV, but I barely played that game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Nope. I tend to do the same thing. Especially since in the early game you tend to need to build up resources and get some decent levels going to really be able to engage with the games systems and combat, whereas by the end you can normally just head to the finale and you should be fine. There might be something out there to make the endgame a little easier but sometimes getting it can be harder then beating the game playing normally anyway. Hell, sometimes it ends up trivializing the endgame.

Not to mention after a certain point I get to the point where I feel like I'm done and I'm ready to move on so more collecting doesn't feel like it's worth the time/effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I just thought of another one. Arranging bodies. In single player games. For no reason other than to make me laugh. The Skyrim bandit cave with 4 guys in a room and one other guy on a long circuit patrol. That NPC leaves the room, and I murder everyone in it starting with a stealth arrow to the forehead of a guy sitting at a table with 5 chairs around it. When I've finished off the other three I notice that dead guy 1 is still sitting right where I killed him. So I take a few minutes to arrange dead guys 2, 3, and 4 sitting around the same table... leaving only one open chair. Then I hide in a blind corner and wait for the guard. I just wasted 2 or 3 minutes, I'm not streaming the game and nobody's watching me. But I did it just to be able to imagine the reaction of that NPC. I do similar things in action games like Far Cry, when liberating an outpost... yeah that first guy I eliminate had a bad day, sure. But the LAST guy I take out... I've really made that guy's last several minutes the most hellish of his entire life. Sometimes I'll make sure he discovers the corpses of ALL of his buddies before I finish him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I'll do you one even better: I'll do side quests to an extent and say "fuck it!", I'm gonna rush and finish the story mode. I did that for Nier: Automata (90% of the side quest stories don't matter or have a downer ending anyway) and Ghost of Tsushima. In the latter's case, I did all of the ally side quests before finishing the main story, because I found most of them endearing and interesting.