Your Weird Phobias?

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
FirstNameLastName said:
I guess it's the combination of many bad aspects of communication rolled into one. Aside from not being able to read body language, it always seems more rushed than normal conversations, not to mention or expensive, less private, less convenient.
I think that's definately part of it part of it. I also think sometimes it can make me feel like I am performing a speech so I need to get what I say right which means I feel a sense of pressure.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Mimic said:
FirstNameLastName said:
I guess it's the combination of many bad aspects of communication rolled into one. Aside from not being able to read body language, it always seems more rushed than normal conversations, not to mention or expensive, less private, less convenient.
I think that's definately part of it part of it. I also think sometimes it can make me feel like I am performing a speech so I need to get what I say right which means I feel a sense of pressure.
I would say part of it is also because i tend to mainly use the phone for bureaucratic purposes (talking to internet providers, government agencies, power companies etc). So i tend to associate it with bureaucracy. And there is nothing in life that makes my blood boil more than god damned bureaucracy!

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Starbird said:
- Deep dark water I can't see the bottom of. Even in games where I *know* there is nothing down there I simply cannot swim down into it with my eyes open. If some massive creature suddenly did rise out of it and attack me, I would probably have some sort of nervous attack.
I had the same problem, well I still don't enjoy it in real life, but I had to get over the fear of water when I started playing Monster Hunter Tri. It was alright at first when I knew the only thing in there was Epioth and Ludroths, it was when the Lagiacrus swam in that I started freaking out. But it forced me to conquer that fear so I'm fine with water in games now.

I can actually remember some pretty early gaming memories when I was scared of the water. 2 of them were in Ape Escape on the original Playstation. I think the first one was on the 3rd stage, you had to paddle this little boat over a lake and there was a giant stingray / cat fish sort of thing that would try to shock you. 2nd one was later on in the game, there were 2 sharks swimming around and one of the monkeys you had to capture was riding one of them, I had to get my dad to do that bit for me. The other game I can remember was in one of the Indiana Jones games, I think it was on the original Xbox, but there was a giant Aligator / Crocodile swimming around, you had to throw skulls to lure it to different spots of the water while you swam around, I think I may have gotten past it eventually but I was only renting the game.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
the silence said:
Real Phobia:
Slugs. (Just know googled it again and URGHS)
Snails.
I thought it was just me! I can deal with spiders most of the time but slugs? Hell no. They freak me out.

====

My fears include:

1. Having my hair cut (I have had several nightmares about this)
2. Tooth decay
3. Paralysis
4. Isolation
5. Transphobic harassment/assault

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh yeah, needles.

Last time, I took 15 steps afterwards, vision started going, and had to sit down on the ground. Had to grab onto a wall to guide me because I wasn't sure exactly where down was.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
I hope you all enjoyed reading about one of the more horrible nights of my life. If nothing else, I did get a good story out of it. I think we can all agree on that.
You've made a big part of the phobias here seem smaller. Damn, die choking on a pair of tits... can you imagine how many people would say things like "Oh, he probably died happy".

But you really think the night would end up bad for the nutt hitting lady? I mean, she knocked two guys, at best, those two idiots would get a week worth of swollen balls.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
My only legitimate phobia is cows/bulls.

I've lost count of how many times I've posted this on the forums. XD
Cows and bulls? Mine's bows and culls. I have a panic attack whenever I have to tie my laces or the badger population gets too high.

I swapped the letters around and it's hilarious.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Frankster said:
Clowns.

How small children can love them and how people not find them absolutely terrifying is beyond me.

Otherwise it's spiders and heights for me, but those ain't exactly "weird" phobias, if anything they are most dirt common.
Don't really like clowns (does anyone?) but It gave me a massive fear of storm drains when I was younger, so much so that I used to give them a massive berth, even crossing the street to avoid them.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Touching paper after I get my hands wet. It's like nails on a chalkboard (surprisingly not a huge problem for me.)

Also Dystychiphobia. I'm terrified I'm going to accidentally hurt someone. I think it's partly because I want people to like me, and I don't want to blow it.

Also, maybe they just did a good job, because I don't know if I could fit it into a category, but that
tentacle sewer boss made me VERY uneasy. I watched Pat play it and got pretty squeamish.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Toejam said:
You paint a very good picture, I had a little tear of laughter at 1 point (sorry). Very good story thanks for taking the time to share.
Don't worry about it. It is funny.

DanteRL said:
You've made a big part of the phobias here seem smaller. Damn, die choking on a pair of tits... can you imagine how many people would say things like "Oh, he probably died happy".

But you really think the night would end up bad for the nutt hitting lady? I mean, she knocked two guys, at best, those two idiots would get a week worth of swollen balls.
I can't really say.

For all I know, everything I saw that night was as it seemed initially - 2 dudes and a girl drinking, and that it. And the girl was a loon, drunk or not. However, I've never seen anyone react to alcohol like she was, before or since, and even though she was the Nut Buster Supreme, I'm still glad I was the last one to leave.

It was, one way or another, a very, very bad situation.

Starbird said:
Don't really like clowns (does anyone?) but It gave me a massive fear of storm drains when I was younger, so much so that I used to give them a massive berth, even crossing the street to avoid them.
I actually got shot out of a storm drain once by flash flooding when I was a kid.

Not that that has anything to do with phobias. It was just a fun day.

Mycroftian

The Mildly Enchanting
Aug 20, 2008
Cicadas. I got swarmed by whole bunch of them when I was a kid and I've never been the same around them. Even now that I know they're literally harmless and suicidally stupid, they scare the piss out of me

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Let me put it this way. This is what I wanted to scream in my last birthday party:

Not the balloons! Not the BALLOONS! AAAAHHHH!!!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Starbird said:
- Deep dark water I can't see the bottom of. Even in games where I *know* there is nothing down there I simply cannot swim down into it with my eyes open. If some massive creature suddenly did rise out of it and attack me, I would probably have some sort of nervous attack.
Yeah I have this same issue, thanks to a few nature films about sharks filmed at night, and the sharks just glided in from the darkness behind the divers. Creeped me the fuck out.

I also have a slight case of claustrophobia, I think mainly because of my height. If I try to wedge myself into a tight spot, I can easily get pinned, and over the last few years, this bothers me more and more.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
I also have a slight case of claustrophobia, I think mainly because of my height. If I try to wedge myself into a tight spot, I can easily get pinned, and over the last few years, this bothers me more and more.
Yeah, I had a little bit of that...not sure if I still do.

Odd thing was, I didn't know about it until it hit. I was hiding under a bed as part of some silly kid thing, and then it hit me (think because I couldn't roll over or something). Would have thought I'd be scared going in.

Because of this, maybe I still am and don't know it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ihateregistering1 said:
I actually read somewhere that fear of clowns is really, really common.
Starbird said:
Glad to know I'm not alone in my clownphobia.

Fear of drains is an interesting one :p

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Starbird said:
Everything floats down here!

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
jademunky said:
Starbird said:
Everything floats down here!
Haha brrr. One of the few Stephen King horror novels that actually made a good movie.