Your Windows 10 Experiences

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Upgraded from Windows 7 on my spare Asus laptop. Touchpad scrolling doesn't work, doesn't look like there are solutions yet. Haven't used it for a month.

I'm planning on either trying out Linux, or going back to Windows 7.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
mad825 said:
Cavouku said:
The Good
-My mousepad won't work on my laptop. I have to use touchscreen for everything, and am livid about it. Already posted to the help forums.
Tried looking on your manufacturer's website for drivers? Even the old ones might still work.
Gave it a shot a little earlier today. No dice.

I am both livid and mopey, now.

CAPTCHA: rum do

I don't think it's bad enough for me to take up drinking, captcha. Unless that's a martial art I'm unfamiliar with... I suppose roundhousing people is a good coping mechanism.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
The good: Easy install, no compatibility issues (So far.), Works similar to Win 7, bookmarks in start menu.

The bad: Some programs require Admin privileges to run correctly, some errors on shutdown, app menu and file explorer takes some getting used to.

Ronin1989

Sep 6, 2015
Upgraded to w10 to find out that photoshop wasn't working properly yet, so I reverted. I'm gonna wait a bit, before upgrading again.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Brief and horrible.

Upgraded to find that Solidworks, Sketchup, Photoshop and Illustrator don't like Win 10.

Didn't like the DRM and web connection, especially when my work PC spends a lot of it's time disconnected from my home network, every time it connected to back up or send messages Win updates intervened and dumped everything to a crawl.

Didn't like the fan profiles on my 7970s, either ran them flatout all the time or switched them off enitrely, trying to make them work crashed the driver.

Multi screens and touch input sucked, slow and inaccurate, drivers aren't there yet (again).

I gave it two days and restored from a back up, back to Win 7 Ultimate until such time as it becomes unusable due to hardware or driver issues. Not going to bother with my gaming PC. I can see Win 7 retail discs continuing to remain stable in value on Ebay for years to come.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Let's see.

The bad:
- Really weird bug with UAC crippling the system. Fix: Disable the notification sound for UAC messages. ~facepalm~
- Trying to get me to switch my login from a local account to my hotmail/outlook/microsoft account. Bleh.
- Weird behaviour with user accounts generally. (what happened to the concept of a 'guest account'?)
- My firewall and antivirus didn't work after upgrade, and getting that sorted out was a little... Convoluted.

The good:
- Fast. Same hardware, faster loading, programs less likely to stall. (compared to windows 7). Not perfect, but noticeably better.
- not noticed anything much that just doesn't want to work. (more than I could say going from win 98 to XP, or XP to win 7...)
- some UI improvements that are kinda nice.
- Screenshot hotkey that automatically saves a file. (I take lots of screenshots. This saves a lot of work)

Overall, it was a bit weird initially, coming from a windows 7 system, but mostly, it just seemed natural. The change in style to the taskbar and windows was a bit odd, but nothing that really surprised me that much.
Most of the things I was familiar with still work more or less the same.
Things that were frustrating before are less so now. (not perfect, but... Better.)

Overall, I'm happy with it.
It didn't even muck up any major settings in the upgrade process.
Leaving aside things which have just changed in general, everything that I had fine-tuned (mouse, keyboard, layout of stuff) was mostly in the place I left it.

So... Pretty good, I'd say.

Dessembrae

Feb 27, 2008
tm96 said:
Downloading it was a mild annoyance since it was a large file on a crowded network.

Good- Microsoft you did good with Edge keep it up and I might have to drop Chrome entirely. No more metro menu. Its smooth and plays nice with most of my stuff (I haven't tried it with my MIDI keyboard or Cubase yet so it could throw a fit with those two)

Bad- I can't get Cortana because I live the UK. Thats it.

I haven't had much trouble with it.
There is support for Cortana in UK, it's what I use (swede). At launch it was available in these countries USA, UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, and China, they've added Canada, Japan and Australia now I belive.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
tm96 said:
Bad- I can't get Cortana because I live the UK. Thats it.
settings>time & language>Regional language> English (UK)>options

There should be some options to download some packs once Windows update finds them. Make sure you download the speech pack then change the settings in "speech" to English UK and after that, the option to turn Cortana on/off will no longer be grayed out.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
My experiences?

After disabling most of the privacy-invasive features I pretty much have no noticeably different experience in terms of quality, compared to Windows 7. Not worse, not better. If there's loading speed differences I'm not noticing them, but I'm poor at noticing those things anyway when there's no loading bar to be seen.

So yeah, I'm not complaining.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
gxs said:
Gorfias said:
What's happened so far for you on Windows 10?
I just bought Humble Bundle with Tom Clancy Games for Uplay. None work yet.
I don't know what games you tried but Splinter Cell - Blacklist works fine here.
I'm uninstalling and trying again.

win7>win10>win8.
Agreed. But Win10 (rumored to one day, just be windows. No more versions: just updates)is likely the future, unless...

visiblenoise said:
Linux, or going back to Windows 7.
I imagine Windows 7 will be around for some time. Linux has a future to me if they can get the library of games for this OS working well. I think Steam is working to make this a reality. So far, most, best gaming for PCs still done on Microsoft systems.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
It feels a lot slower than 7, and the mic on my webcam stopped working after the upgrade. Other than that, its alright. I can definitely see how its better than 8, but I still fee like 7 was fine.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Oh, hi. I haven't made the switch here. In fact, I never even got that little icon on my computer. I'm still on Windows 7, so I got nothing to tell, I'm afraid. Uhh...next person?
Gotta install the latest updates and reboot your PC, son. Gotta stay updated in this weather.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
For me?

-The upgrade wizard was awful. Didn't pick up that almost all of my drivers were incompatible.
-Installing from flash drive proved much better, it was needed anyway
-Seemed jittery at first, but the updates are quickly improving it.
-No other compatibility issues thus far, and I run some pretty old shit. For those who have difficulty, Properties > Compatibility.
-My customers like it. Only met one person who wanted to revert, but I showed him some stuff, and he walked away happy with it.
-Cortana's goddamn useless. She seems to have a fetish for Bing. "Open Steam" was the ONLY command I issued her that didn't have some integration with bing.
-I don't like the revert back to the win7 style start menu. The start screen they have as a bunch of extra shit that interferes with keyboard navigation.
-The multiple desktops are actually pretty sweet. Never thought I'd use them because I'm on a multi-monitor setup.
-Some programs don't go back to desktop once they're run. I think this is because they're "splash screens."
-Bootup times are much faster than 8.
-Wasn't big on the new "photos" program they had to replace Slideshow. But you can revert.
-Seems no different than 8 when it comes to programming, image editing, video editing... So, yeah...

No real problems, but a lot of new features that they advertised, to me, is next to just about worthless. If you're iffy on getting it still, use the installer that comes with your legitimate copy of Windows. If you don't like it? you can revert. If you do? Format, and install 10 proper. The OS seems faster to boot, and although it has minor hitches for me, this is not a universal issue, and most people I talk to with prefabs or laptops say it's better all around. Compatibility with older software seems to be the issue, but this all boils down to lack of user knowledge. Some of the new features to bring the OS to be more "modern" are nice and helpful, but most of them are a blight, unwanted, and needlessly suck up resources doing nothing in their disabled state. If you have an XBOX, or a Windows phone, Windows 10 will want to integrate it's account across all platforms. If you're like me, with no consoles and an android phone, you will feel like a portion of the OS is simply not for you at all.

I still recommend getting it. If you have any idea what you're doing on a computer, you should still have the option to get it for free. C'mon. It's free, and it's an improvement.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Barbas said:
FalloutJack said:
Oh, hi. I haven't made the switch here. In fact, I never even got that little icon on my computer. I'm still on Windows 7, so I got nothing to tell, I'm afraid. Uhh...next person?
Gotta install the latest updates and reboot your PC, son. Gotta stay updated in this weather.
Well, I'm not gonna change umbrellas if the next one up is full of holes and attracts lightning.

Oct 12, 2011
I have not "upgraded" to it and will not until I'm satisfied most of the problems are sorted out.

The only person I know who has done so has stated that "Windows 10 is the only free program I've had to spend $120 for." Apparently, when he uploaded it onto his laptop, it somehow changed his password and he has to take it to a professional to be able to log onto it again.

Sooooooo I think I'll pass for the time being.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Damn, i downloaded it just in case and now i do not know how to get rid of it
I think i tried installing it but nothing happened

Where is it installed? Google tells me nothing