Your Worst Archenemy

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
CaptainCrunch said:
The part of my brain that used to care about Magic cards (and Spellfire card - did anyone but me ever play that game?) was completely dormant until all the office crowd started playing again. Encaen's accursed Landfall deck is easily the most annoying deck to play against, yet the most hilarious to play with.

"I play 6 lands this turn, so: I steal all your creatures, you discard half your library, and now there's a 28/28 trample coming your way - along with all your creatures" is as about the meanest single turn I've ever seen.

Curse you all for luring me back in! I shall find retribution in victory over your annoying decks with my future extra-annoying deck!
/buys more cards
Spellfire? the old TSR D&D based CCG? Never heard of it, let alone have a collection with every set they ever released completed with all chase cards. Shame nobody plays it any more.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I can't wait to play this in the office. 11th edition comes out tomorrow (I think) so we'll have more cards to beat up on Tito with!

Marlun_42

Nov 30, 2009
Man, I've quit and come back at least 3 times to Magic. The latest one was with the Timespiral block. The thing that keeps getting me out is the playing attitude of the "hardcore" players. It really sucks the fun out of the game when they either win by turn 3 withing the first 2 minutes of play, or they throw a hissy fit when their deck doesn't work right. Maybe it's just the playgroup down here, but it's really hard to find people who just want to play for fun and don't mind that I use all my older cards (all the way back from Fallen Empires).

I'm sure I'll get sucked back in again when my kids get into the game (I'm teaching my daughter now). Hopefully they'll learn to play for fun and be able to build a killer deck.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Reverend Del said:
CaptainCrunch said:
The part of my brain that used to care about Magic cards (and Spellfire cards - did anyone but me ever play that game?) was completely dormant until all the office crowd started playing again.
Spellfire? the old TSR D&D based CCG? Never heard of it, let alone have a collection with every set they ever released completed with all chase cards. Shame nobody plays it any more.
Yup. That's the one. I brought in my (admittedly small) remaining collection, and the reaction people had was something like "oh yeah, I remember those, but I never knew anyone that played it." At least I know I can sell my individual cards on eBay and get a few hundred bucks (even having so few cards left).

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Wow, well, it's good to know I wasn't the only one recently drawn back in. Apparently the marketing guys know what they're doing, dragging players back who hadn't touched their game for a decade.

However, after dropping some change on a few booster boxes of the newest block and fooling around at some of the Friday Night Magic events that they so heavily promote, my interest might already be on the way out again. The simple fact is that you have to spend a -stupid- amount of money to be competitive even on a local level, and I find the idea of a game that requires such an expenditure to be especially ridiculous. I thought it was bad back in the day, but it's nothing like it is now.

I love the art, love the mechanics and I suppose I'd be better suited to the more casual formats like some of the ones mentioned above, but when you're facing people with $400-500 decks at your local game store for FNM it greatly discourages further investment.

Durango Is Law

Apr 5, 2009
Lord S. Binkleheimer said:
Kross said:
One issue I've had, and that I've heard repeated from many "old school" magic players, is about how the "new sets are overpowered". It's true, there's tons of ridiculous one-shot win the game (or never lose the game) types of cards out there. Or absurdly cheap cards from a mana -> ability standpoint.

Of course, if you go dig through the old sets, there's a ton of crazy things that have always been around. And from what I hear, the playtesting wasn't nearly as rigorous back then either, which resulted in many more "broken" combos/etc. So maybe there isn't much difference after all, other then finding excuses not to blow more money on silly cards. ;)

But the conclusion I came to was that Wizards was aiming for everyone to have that "killer deck". My unbeatable deck versus your unbeatable deck means two players sit down both thinking they're awesome, and then have a brutal game where no punches are pulled. It works remarkably well. At this point, we have a stable of about 8 terribly evil decks that are all geared to win in 5 turns or less, and playing them against each other is some of the most fun I've ever had with Magic.

On the other hand, I hear the next core set is coming out this week and I really don't need to be buying another display box of cards. But I will. Oh yes I will.
Remember when Boomerang returned things from the graveyard?
I do.

Also, alot of those insta-wins are 1). stupid expensive, 2). highly situational 3). easily manipulated and twisted.
Boomerang never allowed you to target cards in your graveyard as they were never considered permanents. The earliest printing, from 1994 legends expansion, went to further explain that enchantments on target permanent are destroyed, as they do now regardless of the lack of citation.

The problem most new players face is misinformation. Outside of a site focused on the game itself you find more vocal burn outs that have stopped playing for one reason or another. Most are related to changes in their personal life, but there are the frustrated individuals that have quit because magic is very skill intensive and requires you to keep up with an evolving meta-game that can quickly shift over a short amount of time.

I hope that anyone that is in fact interested do some research, go to wizards website, visit strategy sites like channelfireball, starcitygames, and mana-nation. And most importantly visit your local card shop, preferably Friday for FNM (friday night magic) where you can see your magic community in action.

Dommius

Aug 8, 2009
Damn, I wish I knew people in my small little town that actually like to play magic. I love that game and think it would be cool to pick up some new cards and get into it again. But alas, nobody to play with kind of defeats the purpose. Though archenemy sounds cool.

Kaihlik

Mar 24, 2010
A single blue deck really screws up Archenemy. The Blue player just sits and counters with Impunity while the other players mop up whatever else gets through. Plus mill decks work too well agaist the Archenemy as they have only one target and the Archenemy has to split his concentration or get hit by the other players.

Tbh I dont know why you dont just play standard multiplayer games instead of leaving someone out, thats what we do. I find it a bit hard to believe that before Archenemy nobody just suggested playing a 3 way or 4 way game. Archenemy is a bit of fun but I wouldn't play it that often.

Kaihlik