You're a guy on a date. Who pays?

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
I generally pay with my partner (it oil's the gears), but I have been out with people who have suggested going somewhere and when we got there, asked me to foot the bill.

At which point I have been deeply annoyed, payed but insisted I will not repeat the occasion.

Never got the point where I've asked for the bill to be split though yet.

Jack O'Shea

Jul 17, 2011
50/50, unless one person is seriously without money and the other knew this before the date. cause it would be kinda douchey to go on a date and when the bill arrives tell the person you have a $1 on you. any women who thinks she should be treated because she doesn't have a y-chromosome can also go back to the kitchen, equality go in both directions.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I feel as the man I should pay the bill and if you don't like it I will use my sneaky ways to get the check and make sure that I pay for the bill. What I will do is if I feel my date will debate me on letting her pay for some of the bill I will secretly tell the waiter or waitress to give me the check and not worry about whatever the other party says that way I'm the only one who can pay muhahahaha.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Me of course. Have to be a gentleman. Although running away and leaving the bill to the other is always an option.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Typically if I were, I'd be paying. It seems rude to treat someone to dinner and then say "Hey, you pay the bill". If she wants to pay the bill though, I would let her.

And yes, I'm a guy. SHOCKER

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I'm Russian. The culture is that if there is a remote chance the guy and girl can get into a relationship, the guy pays for everything. Quite literally the only time females pay is when the two of them are close friends, in which case they'll usually split it.

So to answer the OP, the guy pays everything to me.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
My boyfriend and I typically split the bill or take turns paying. Or in times when I've had more income than him, I've paid more often and vice versa. One thing I notice is that the bill is always handed to him, and returned to him to sign, even if I've given it to the waiter with my credit card. :C

I have had some family members pull me aside after a dinner out and tell me how cheap he is and how wrong it is that he "made me pay" for the meal, so usually when we're in that setting he'll cover me or at least appear to to smooth things over with my sometimes scrutinizing family.

I think a lot of women and men who believe in splitting the feel awkward and/or judged when out with other people who don't.

derbt

Jan 7, 2011
I feel deeply uncomfortable letting guys pay for dates, and if they insist on paying one night, I insist on paying another. I always make sure that things total up in the end, but I prefer to go 50/50.

I feel flattered when men offer, but I prefer to pay my own way. That said, I do feel irrationally guilty about someone giving me even just a dollar, so maybe I'm abnormal.

Nopodop

Jan 2, 2011
Noone would pay, I'm a loser with no life who will never get a girlfriend because I suck. That's just the way I roll.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
My girlfriend is very independent when it comes to paying for anything. Rarely do I get the chance to pay for our dinner mainly because she doesn't want to be a burden to me, even if I'm doing it out of the kindness of my heart. Normally we split bills. I think I've only fully paid twice in our relationship, but we don't eat out much. The first actual date we went on, I paid for it.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I pay unless she specifically asks for me not to. I have more money than the average bear, so it's not a big deal to me. It's like playing mini-robin hood. :)