YouTube Claims GTA IV Sirens Are Infringing on Jazz Song

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I shut down my youtube account back when WMG went ballistic on every youtube video around. I'm glad I never went back.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Emails in tha' place where I liiiive!

Dear Strongbad,

Can you copyright police sirens because they happen to sound like music?

Yours,
FalloutJack

Whoa. You like, wanna be careful there, man, fallin out of things all the time.

Anyway, Flapjack, the thing is that you can totally make music from sirens [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjIYMRAjn4], but you can't make sirens from music. We tried that once around here and all it caused was like...a dance party.

Not to say that dance parties [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPHsA28P8_g] are uncool, but it kinda' defeated the purpose of the siren. Anyway, you can't claim sirens are music if nobody's tried to MAKE THEM so, so it's kinda' dumb when the lawyers come out and the one making the claim comes off as made of stupid.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Good, more pressure on youtube.
They deserve everything they get right now.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Google may or may not have become the uncaring big boss like Microsoft and other overly large corps...
They are now definitely worse. Remember what happened when Google+ failed to catch on? They shoved it down everyone's throat through YouTube anyway.

<youtube=LTq8TrA3hb4>

They have turned into this monstrosity that don't care about customer feedback and steamrolls through everything because they can. At least MS removed the DRM on the XBOne.

Kahohess

Sep 12, 2011
Next time, they'll flag videos with Stephen Hawking for copyright infringement against Daft Punk..

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
ok this is beyond a joke at this point, how long does everyone think this will last? there has to be some sort of backlash coming, I mean one slightly more effective than a stick figure with a tank in the comments

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
I think we need to have a daylong boycott or mass email on Youtube.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Your own suggestion contains the very reason it won't work. Only a day? How about not using it in the first place?

Callate said:
Yes, no need to point out the irony of using a Youtube video to criticize Youtube, thanks
Yeah, I think I do need to point out the irony of that, especially in light of that protest video against Google+, also posted YouTube. Are people really this stupid?

Raiyan 1.0 said:
They are now definitely worse. Remember what happened when Google+ failed to catch on? They shoved it down everyone's throat through YouTube anyway.

<youtube=LTq8TrA3hb4>
The most hilarious part of the video is where she sings "we just want our website back." Sorry missy, it was never your website in the first place, Google owns it outright. I'm not sure what makes people think they have any stake in this.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
They made the net wide to avoid people who speed the song up by 1% and avoid the detection bot, they made it so wide the sirens are turning into songs now. All we need now is to autotune the bot and we will be doomed.

Also its utimately ironic how many people here are angry at youtube and keeps advertising it by posting videos from it. If you really didnt like youtube - you wouldnt be doing this. In fact what you would be doing is linking to other video hosting sites.

Aardvaarkman said:
The most hilarious part of the video is where she sings "we just want our website back." Sorry missy, it was never your website in the first place, Google owns it outright. I'm not sure what makes people think they have any stake in this.
That is the problem of culture clashing with ownership. Once a thing becomes ingraned in culture it starts belonging to that culture, even if technical ownership is still somewhere else. This technical ownership on things like Mickey Mouse has caused A LOT of trouble, including the latest, worst edition of copyright law.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
Yeah, I think I do need to point out the irony of that, especially in light of that protest video against Google+, also posted YouTube. Are people really this stupid?
So what exactly do you think you're saying?

Because you disagree with part of a company's policies in one area, you're obligated to forsake using anything else that company provides in communications about that disagreement?

Even if that tool the company provides might be the most effective means of communicating with other people who might disagree with that policy? Even when it's the most obvious way of communicating with other people who are inherently likely to be affected by that policy?

You might be able to make a case for hypocritical, or futile. But that would involve actually making a case. "Stupid", aside from being inaccurate, is the kind of word that's likely to get you reported to the moderators.

I threw out a pithy twelve second Youtube video in response to the unfolding situation on Youtube, and stated that I was aware of the irony of using a Youtube video in criticizing Youtube. The way in which you've chosen to harp on that suggests less that you're harboring a superior and high-minded view of the situation than that you haven't really thought your position through but wanted to dish out some ill-considered scorn.

Or to put it another way: No, people really aren't "this stupid", because you haven't made any real case for anyone else's stupidity.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Looks like youtube's new content ID system is giving everyone a case of the blues. And then copyrighting the blues.

Edit: Actually, I think I have the perfect metaphor for this. And ironically, it didn't trip the sensors.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Bwahahahaha! Imagine someone shoots something funny with his cellphone and in the background someone wants to know what this or that song is called and hums it into shazam.
Cellphone mic picks it up and later the resulting video gets flagged.
Yeah, just avoid *any* pop culture and find something else to occupy your time.
I know, there's not much else which we all can enjoy then popular culture.
But imagine if we found something...

Captcha: i can fix it...
well, captcha will save us all, apparently...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
Well first off. Why post protests on what Google is doing with Youtube on Youtube?

Because the people who care about +Youtube most likely are Youtube users? Because the people who understands how the policies and changes affects us are the ones using Youtube? Using an iPhone 5S (or whatever the newest one is called) to rant about Apple and how they suck is stupid since there are lots of other ways to address the users and the company alike. Youtube users are on Youtube, using any other video service than Youtube means you'll likely miss the opportunity to address your target audience. Did you honestly think it through before calling this stupid?

Now if we are to go into the ridiculous comparisons here. If you don't like an upcoming bill that your government is proposing should you be protesting it within your own country or move before you're allowed to protest it? Why keep paying taxes and use your country's services if you disagree with a new law? It's clearly stupid!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened more often, to be frank.
Basically this.

Just like Youtube's automatic captioning, which has been hit-and-miss for quite a while now.
Anything that Youtube tries to automate will always result in problems.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
IceForce said:
more often, to be frank.
Basically this.

Just like Youtube's automatic captioning, which has been hit-and-miss for quite a while now.
Anything that Youtube tries to automate will always result in problems.[/quote]

Oh God, those captions are terrible. And worse still, for about a month they would always come up on videos for me, even if disabled in the global settings, even if disabled on the video in question.

But at least they weren't potentially costing people their livelihood.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh God, those captions are terrible. And worse still, for about a month they would always come up on videos for me, even if disabled in the global settings, even if disabled on the video in question.

But at least they weren't potentially costing people their livelihood.
At least the captions can provide hilarity when it comes to how terribly off they are. This automated system doesn't cause hilarity, it just causes suffering. T^T

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Maybe this'll encourage some other company to step up and provide what Youtube has been up until now. C'mon, people, compete!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neronium said:
At least the captions can provide hilarity when it comes to how terribly off they are. This automated system doesn't cause hilarity, it just causes suffering. T^T
Indeed, miscaptioning can be funny even when it's not automated.

Seeing people lose money due to false claims isn't. I mean, I have no love for plagiarism or copyright infringement, but this? This is ridiculous.