YouTube Creators Will Receive Money Earned During Content ID Disputes After New Update

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
YouTube Creators Will Receive Money Earned During Content ID Disputes After New Update

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1317/1317482.jpg

YouTube also says they want Content ID to be used properly, and that they have "built a dedicated team to monitor" the service that "restricts feature access and even terminates a partner's access to Content ID tools" in the event of repeated abuse.

It's good to see YouTube responding to these concerns, and hopefully this will help address the issues that content creators have had with the service. Now if they'd just address the other suggestions that Shamus had [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/16875-How-to-Fix-YouTube-s-Fair-Use-Problem].

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
This solves one of the numerous major problems with YouTube at the moment and is definitely a step in the right direction, but only a step.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
And lo and behold Jim just found a loophole around monetization on his videos.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Wonder how much this'll actually bring down the groups that exist entirely to make money off other people's videos with fake content claims that they expect people not to fight.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Now all we need is negative strikes for false claims and we're golden youtube.
What I would pay to see a big company like Nintendo or Sega get a strike against their channel right before a big event and be completely hamstrung because a false claim they submitted got overturned.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Too little too late. I am absolutely out of patience for Youtube. Fixing one of several chronic problems and calling it a day is not good enough.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Nice to see that they are at least trying, While it doesn't fix the system, it will at the very least make it far less crippling to content creators income streams to be on the receiving end of trolls.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I only hope that more policy changes like this will follow. Too bad things had to get so ugly before Youtube bothered to act, though.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Well, considering the stink many prominent Youtubers created about this, #wheresthefairuse campaign etc etc ect, this was bound to happen.

Mainstream professional youtubers, who comment and use video game footage to support their video deserve the money and should be protected under fair use/review laws. Even Let's players = in specific situations, deserve to get the money.

I feel Youtube has had to do this considering a lot of tubers were moving to Patreon/subscription (jim Sterling, Channel Awesome, Yogscast) others who had it in place already had begun to move closer to it (Total Biscuit/ Jesse Cox/ Dodger etc etc) and it was starting to hurt content addition to youtube and also their income revenue itself.

So, yeah, feel this is "we have to do something..." as google WAS making money off the "official" channels for major companies etc.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Looks like WTFU actually accomplished something. I seem to remember that Nostalgia Critic suggested this very fix as a possible solution to one of Youtube's major problems for content creators and reviewers. He may not have been the first, but I would say that his WTFU campaign is a major reason for this change.

I'll share the sentiment of others. It's about damn time. Now, what about the other issues?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Good for them... though hopefully Youtube will keep to it, so the Copyright Trolls can't do any more harm... *Knocks on wood*

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I don't really know what to think about Youtube. They've made a few positive steps like this over the last few years but then seem to randomly swing back in the other direction with no warning.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
RaikuFA said:
And lo and behold Jim just found a loophole around monetization on his videos.

That's a loophole in Content ID, a different problem entirely
It also dose not let you get money from ads, it just stops anyone from getting money from ads.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Rednog said:
Now all we need is negative strikes for false claims and we're golden youtube.
What I would pay to see a big company like Nintendo or Sega get a strike against their channel right before a big event and be completely hamstrung because a false claim they submitted got overturned.
"YouTube will also says they want Content ID to be used properly, and that they have "built a dedicated team to monitor" the service that "restricts feature access and even terminates a partner's access to Content ID tools" in the event of repeated abuse."

I don't know if that's exactly what you were thinking, but it sounds like Youtube is working on tracking down the most blatant abuse. I don't know how successful they will be, especially in light of their existing track record, but this is all a solid move in the right direction. I just hope it actually sticks.