Youtube in a nutshell

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The ads look a lot more entertaining than the actual game, honestly.
Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Ads that ultimately don't resemble the game whatsoever? It's blatant false advertising; shouldn't that be illegal or something?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Youtube is a strange animal. I got the same thing a week or two ago. Some lady with a million views whinging about how she'll never buy comics again because some Marvel comic is doing some vapid LGBTQ+ characters. I can only guess it showed up because I watch stuff like comictropes which is a patently inoffensive comicbook history channel. Fuck I'm so tired of social politics.

As for the topic at hand, meh. Thats life. I have a lot of creators I like on youtube that I acknowledge in order to deliver me what they do that they gotta do the sponsorship stuff. I can tolerate a 20 second segment I can skip over if its bothersome.

Gamers Nexus, which does a combination of hardware reviews and industry activism, is the least offensive. They'll do like a literally 5 second spot on some product they actually like, then they might show off a new mouse mat on their store. The difference with Gamersnexus is that they are also heavy into Eco-activisim so any money you give them goes partially to environmental/animal stuff or they just link the charities so you can donate yourself. I think because of that Gamersnexus doesn't make a ton of money unlike the larger offenders like Linus Tech Tips who are coming dangerously close to being a complete product placement sellout channel with less and less meaningful content as time goes on.

One time this has all thoroughly infuriated me was Gaming historian doing like a 10-20 minute in video commercial for some F2P game I think war thunder or world of tanks or some shit. He openly acknowledged he didn't play the game, did not give two shits about it, it had nothing to do with his channel, but justified it saying he needed the money. I unsubscribed. It was wrong, he knew it was wrong and did it anyway. He did some big apology after, but already lost me.
For you and @Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Part of all that is youtube's I think it's "Anti-radicalisation and political division" ideas at work. Basically it will recommend you youtubers deemed to have different views to the main ones you watch or the main ones who have the same audiences you're part of to try and expose you to new idea. I had it years ago when it recommend "How the World Works" when that channel was still active which was a very very republican channel that I disagreed with everything they said and still do but I don't think it was an actively bad channel, how it was run and done was pretty much "This is my view on things take it or leave it".

The best implementation of sponsored ads I think was The Amazing Atheist who created a character called Uncle Sergei a sort of dodgey Russian gangster type character to do the sponsored stuff because it came off as a sort of wink wink nudge nudge we all know this stuff is a bit crap but they're letting me get away with this, Or Internet Historian whose VPN adverts have started to turn into an epic animated action series where Nord tries to escape the evil companies trying to steal his data.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
At least some of them have the decency to put the sponsored stuff at the end so I know to stop the video. When they put them at the front, I'm normally looking for the "Skip ad" button and then disappointed it's not there.

The other ones....yeah, it's because it's feeding Youtubes funky Algorithm that apparently changes on a weekly basis, which is why some people end up having long videos when they don't have much to actually say(or they just bad at focusing, which can also be true).

With that said, I do get kinda irritated by certain people when a video is like 40 min long but there's only like 20 minutes of content there and the rest of it is the guy either wasting time rambling or doing some elongated preamble that's not really needed.
It's tough to say much about the algorithm other than it's suspected even youtube staff working on it don't know how it all actually works.
Jesse Cox once pointed out he was told or found out that there's a consistency thing to it. So Mark Rober who does 1 video a month as long as he releases that video with most of the same tags on roughly the same day each month he gets a boost. Or people who do serialised lets plays if they release the lets play parts the same day each week they get rewarded by the algorithm.

As for video length it's only part of it as % watchtime plays a big role now too. No youtuber should be really super stretching stuff now as the limit before you can apply a midroll is now 8 minutes not even the 10 it used to be.

Part of my issue is the idea (though this isn't confirmed) that having the auto placed / midroll ads actually boosts visibility. Which I kinda hate because I'd much rather some youtuber figure out their ad placement well (See Red Letter Media who often leave a short like 3 second blank spot to slot ads into their video) rather than the auto ad placement stuff that will chuck them in about every 5 minutes or so often half way through a person talking.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Ads that ultimately don't resemble the game whatsoever? It's blatant false advertising; shouldn't that be illegal or something?
I think that so long as you put some tiny disclaimer up somewhere on the screen, you can get away with it.

What I'm wondering about these days is ads for games that do show the gameplay, where the gameplay is utterly atrocious.

Reactions: BrawlMan

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
One day I'm going to learn to just stay in my little bubble of obscure 80's metal and post punk channels....

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I find it kind of funny (funny sad, not funny ha-ha) how people say they want to support their favorite creators- and then they get downright furious when there are ads or sponsor spots or a Patreon link. I think that people want creators to stay poor, to not make any money off of what they do, so that the audience can maintain this delusion where the creator is working a second job of creating content just out of the goodness of their heart, keeping the content "pure".

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I find it kind of funny (funny sad, not funny ha-ha) how people say they want to support their favorite creators- and then they get downright furious when there are ads or sponsor spots or a Patreon link. I think that people want creators to stay poor, to not make any money off of what they do, so that the audience can maintain this delusion where the creator is working a second job of creating content just out of the goodness of their heart, keeping the content "pure".
No people would just prefer youtube paid them decently from regular ads such that sponsors were as big a requirement for them, because in the past sponsored really weren't that needed and it's not just youtubers after money. I think it was Vito who said something like "My latest video would have earned me $10 in ad revenue, putting the sponsored thing in meant it earned me $500 and sorry but $10 for a week spend on a video is not sustainable so I have to put in sponsors unless youtube decides to start paying out ad revenue like it used to"

I've seen some good sponsored stuff done but I also think people are getting fed up of the often fairly stock lackluster ad reads for VPN companies, Raid Shadow Legends and other mobile game and Raycon headphones. I mean at least Manscaped shave your hairy grapes stuff was pretty funny stuff by all those who did those reads. Hoestly I'd much prefer they just actually put in a pre-made ad to most ad reads though just "Here's a trailer for this game / film" rather than "I'm going to pretend to like this product"

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
With that said, I do get kinda irritated by certain people when a video is like 40 min long but there's only like 20 minutes of content there and the rest of it is the guy either wasting time rambling or doing some elongated preamble that's not really needed.
Sometimes I wish Youtube let you watch a video at faster than 2X speed.

Reactions: Dalisclock