Youtube networks?

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
I posted this but it was deleted because i linked to my youtube page, so here is my question again. it will be harder to articulate my points without supporting links.

My youtube channel has had several networks approach me asking me to join with them. What they do and what the agreement is for these networks has been ambiguous and cryptic, with no direct answers to questions such as: can i leave at any time, if so how with what repercussions to my channel? if i leave and have utilized resources such as music via the network what happens? do i retain creative liberty of my channel? etc

has any fellow youtubers here had any agreements with networks? what was your experience like?

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
Sorry this is a bit late in but I've only noticed this now. You want to be extremely careful about joining any kind of network and do some digging into them and their contracts. Never join a network that includes a perpetuity clause in their contract because that essentially means you can be stuck with it for ages. You also want to find out what benefits they offer like promotion of your channel, what sort of cut you are going to get of the money, who you can go to if you have a problem and so on as well as finding out if they have actually been proven to fulfill what they promise. There are plenty of shady MCNs out there that are just looking to milk content creators without really offering anything. For things like music and what not that's all tied into copyright law which is a whole can of worms in itself although I'll be more than happy to explain it. Certain networks will give some level of protection against copyright by getting their legal teams and what not to sort it out. It usually requires you to be quite popular before they will invest those sorts of resources into you. As for whether you will keep creative liberty - That will depend on what's in the contract. If you aren't sure what certain things mean you should consult a legal professional or you can send it to me and I'll get my own to do that. Don't ask YouTube about it though because they have nothing to do with these agreements or the networks themselves.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
My advice is to ask around. Super Best Friends and Bro Team Pill have both got strong opinions to the advantage or disadvantage of networks; however, the exposure can help your network, but getting out is always a pain.

I'd ask YouTubers for advice. PM them. Most of them are nice.