YouTube Overturned Konami's Copyright Claim Against Critical Video

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
XenoScifi said:
I am sure EA and Ubisoft execs are high fiving each other somewhere knowing they almost certainly cannot get worst company of the year award this year. Oh no, that award is already gobbled up by Konami...and they may take next years as well just for all this. Just saying :)
I believe that list only applies to American companies so Konami and Ubisoft aren't options either way.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Bob_McMillan said:
Huh, I didn't know this. From the sound of that, YouTubers should be angry with whoever made the DMCA rather than YouTube.
They should, but the DMCA is older than Youtube, which is part of the problem.

In 1998 Youtube wasn't around, video streaming wasn't in wide use and even Napster hadn't started up. The DMCA covers issues that the US legislators hadn't even conceived of yet, so naturally they got it all wrong and mostly did what the MPAA and RIAA told them to.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Holy fucking crap.
So not only do we now have a precedent where Youtube actually checked the first claim in the history of DMCA, but there also appear to have some humans working there still. Since all we ever get from them are automated responses I figured their copyright bot net took over long ago and gassed the remaining filthy humans, yet it seems some have survived in there.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
HOLD ON! HOLD ON!

I think we missed the real story.

YouTube investigated a copyright claim on their own and restored the content after looking at the case?!

Stay inside people because i think the sky may begin falling any moment. Google did something right.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
XenoScifi said:
I am sure EA and Ubisoft execs are high fiving each other somewhere knowing they almost certainly cannot get worst company of the year award this year. Oh no, that award is already gobbled up by Konami...and they may take next years as well just for all this. Just saying :)
Seems like everybody wants to join EA's ranks. There was Microsoft for a while (and may still be, IDK), Ubisoft, and now Konami.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
To those posting YouTube are not to blame and it's just the DMCA at fault.

Bad law or not, the DMCA takedown requirement only applies to valid and legitimate claims.

YouTube accepts all takedown claims not just the valid and legitimate ones.
No innocent until proven guilty system applies at all. After two weeks all the bogus claims lapse and whatever revenue would have been made is lost forever.
With many topical issues, the debate has moved on and only the content maker suffers.

The bogus takedowns are intended to remove the content for those two weeks, they do exactly what the abusers want.

YouTube can easily stop this abuse with no more effort than used to allow it.

Firat simply freeze the payment on the video until it's resolved, this system already exists and is an option used by some legitimate DMCA claims where the claimant takes the money instead of removing the video.
So no automatic takedown needs to happen at all.

The winner of the dispute decides what happens, only once the claim is resolved. Not before.

Removing the entire purpose of abusing the system, stops the abuse.

This is why YouTube is to blaim, they allow the abuse of their system.
The DMCA doesn't apply to false claims. YouTubes rules do.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow, Youtube actually does something good for once? I hoped they can carrying on doing that.

Now that I watched the actual video, it was interesting and it seen another company will meet their downfall soon.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What the hell is konami doing lately?
Makes me wanna not buy anything with konami on it, ever again.
Maybe they want to make a social experiment, how to flush all consumer goodwill down the toilet in the quickest possible way.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hmmm, I wonder if this attempt to squash discussion on the internet at large about their buffoonery will lead to more discussion about their failures... What's that? People who hadn't even heard about Konami's antics are now condemning Konami and videos talking about it are getting a lot more traffic because of this? What??

Konami better get busy and DMCA strike all videos remotely mentioning them. Even if they're tagged in a video, that could be enough to start a discussion about the company in a negative light and that's just not permissible.

StorkV

Sep 6, 2014
You know I usually ignored brands and companies when I bought games unless it was a company I really liked like Blizzard..
But nowadays you have to check and see what and which company is pro consumer, which does the major screw ups, put it on a put in on a balance and decide to buy their games or not.... damn last year in gaming really changed everything!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
And that is a censorship attempt. By abusing of copyright laws (which were created by the government) they tried to shut up a negative opinion. Glad to see they failed.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
They never had a leg to stand on with this complaint as the video clip in question absolutely falls under the "Fair Use" clause. The fact that a large corporation is so incompetent as to not know this is almost mind boggling, the fact that they went ahead and did this even though they knew it would get press and that their customers would react poorly is criminally stupid.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
A well written news article on The Escapist? Youtube actually doing something right? What is the world coming to.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, kudos on Youtube. This has easily been my biggest gripe with them and if they make this a habit it'll go a long way to restore lost faith in them.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
loa said:
What the hell is konami doing lately?
Makes me wanna not buy anything with konami on it, ever again.
Maybe they want to make a social experiment, how to flush all consumer goodwill down the toilet in the quickest possible way.
It may have something to do with their move from console gaming to mobiles, and their focus on their other venues of revenue. I'm not sure what advantage burning bridges would have here, but then again, Konami hasn't been acting too intelligent lately.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Youtube actually doing their job is unheard of. I can tell you what REALLY happened:

Someone high up was really looking forward to Silent Hills.

Edit: Also, keep up the good work Mr. Zimmerman. This wasn't just a good read, but should be the standard all other articles on the Escapist are held to, at the LEAST.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
MonsterCrit said:
erttheking said:
Wow. Konami is so incompetent that it can't even abuse the youtube copyright system properly. That's pretty bad.
I'm starting to think Kojima may have actually been the SAne Guy at Konami..
Nah. Konami isn't insane, they're just stupid. Really, really, really, really, stupid.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Wow, the Youtube Police do something right for once.

Kudos to Youtube. Shame on you Konami.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
EndlessSporadic said:
A well written news article on The Escapist? Youtube actually doing something right? What is the world coming to.
To be fair, it is Conrad Zimmerman. We mere mortals still cannot comprehend the power bestowed upon him by the greatness of his mustache.

[sub][sub]I miss the podcast antics with Jonathan.[/sub][/sub]