YouTube Video Hints XCom Shooter May Return

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
Any time spent on an FPS version of XCOM is time that could have been better spent on either DLC for XCOM (like for example, how about a strat layer that has, I don't know, maybe some strat, or, an intercept mode that is something more than a freaking place holder) or the sequel, or some combo thereof, in any case, NOT an FPS.

The world will survive just fine if Firaxis doesn't waste time making yet another FPS we simply do not need. God knows we have enough of those, and are in short supply of anything turn based with even a modicum of intelligent design to it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
3asytarg3t said:
Any time spent on an FPS version of XCOM is time that could have been better spent on either DLC for XCOM (like for example, how about a strat layer that has, I don't know, maybe some strat, or, an intercept mode that is something more than a freaking place holder) or the sequel, or some combo thereof, in any case, NOT an FPS.

The world will survive just fine if Firaxis doesn't waste time making yet another FPS we simply do not need. God knows we have enough of those, and are in short supply of anything turn based with even a modicum of intelligent design to it.
The shooter that was formally named Xcom was being developed by 2K Marin of Bioshock 2 fame.

Firaxis had nothing to do with it.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
You know a game about the first contact in the X-COM version of our universe could help build up why the X-COM program exists before the strategy game starts. just saying.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
DRTJR said:
You know a game about the first contact in the X-COM version of our universe could help build up why the X-COM program exists before the strategy game starts. just saying.
I think, that was the original idea and primary reason it was named XCOM to begin with...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I honestly wish this would just quietly go away. I love the XCOM series but it doesn't need to be translated into a shooter. Blizzard tried this with Starcraft Ghost and it died a quiet death without being released (though it was featured on Xbox 360's packaging... I think.) Anyway, strategy games shouldn't be revamped as FPS's, it doesn't work IMO, and takes away from the flavor of the series.
Plus it could kill the IP if the sales suck (which with FPS games is likely especially if they're generic with tacked on multiplayer)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Assuming it's true, we still don't need anymore FPS games. Hopefully they do something interesting with it though otherwise it still deserves to have it's teeth kicked in.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
Therumancer said:
gigastar said:
Therumancer said:
wibble
wibble
I prefer the retro look. It has the sort of campy feel of 1950 B movies combined with the unsettling presence of something unknown like X-files. Sure there are plenty of IPs that have already used a retro theme, but that just means it's a good setting for these sorts of things.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
amaranth_dru said:
I honestly wish this would just quietly go away. I love the XCOM series but it doesn't need to be translated into a shooter. Blizzard tried this with Starcraft Ghost and it died a quiet death without being released (though it was featured on Xbox 360's packaging... I think.) Anyway, strategy games shouldn't be revamped as FPS's, it doesn't work IMO, and takes away from the flavor of the series.
Plus it could kill the IP if the sales suck (which with FPS games is likely especially if they're generic with tacked on multiplayer)
That is the beef I have with XCOM. The main problem people had with it is that it was named XCOM. If they stuck with "The Bureau" I doubt it would have received even half the flak it took. I just find that so irritating that a game that actually tried to put some new life into the tired shooter genre, filled with the transaturated fat of modern military.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The strategy game and, if it happens, the shooter are coming out of completely different studios, so I don't think there's any real worry about one siphoning off resources from the other. And although I get tired of the tendency of publishers to keep hammering the same familiar titles over and over again, the X-Com shooter looks so original and potentially good that I think the name is almost irrelevant. Tie it in, spin it off, subtitle it, whatever - if it happens and it lives up to its potential, this could be a really exciting game.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I wish publishers would stop milking franchises for a quick buck.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU ACTIVISION, LEAVE THE WALKING DEAD ALONE!

*Ahem*

If they want games to be successful they should experiment with games, not just throw a popular game genre and a nostalgic title, and make people think the abomination made is going to be good.

The Bureau sounds much more interesting than X-Com the FPS.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The strategy game and, if it happens, the shooter are coming out of completely different studios, so I don't think there's any real worry about one siphoning off resources from the other. And although I get tired of the tendency of publishers to keep hammering the same familiar titles over and over again, the X-Com shooter looks so original and potentially good that I think the name is almost irrelevant. Tie it in, spin it off, subtitle it, whatever - if it happens and it lives up to its potential, this could be a really exciting game.
I read 'original' and instantly thought "bullshit", but I checked it out and certainly seems interesting. Unfortunately it doesn't have much of it's own style, like usual. Also, I really hate some of the guns sounds, I hope things are improved before release.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I really want to play this FPS Xcom. It looks like Band of Brothers with RPG elements and aliens.

I actually didn't enjoy XCOM: Enemy Unknown's gameplay for how mechanics based rather than tactical based your decision making was.

I like the setting of this new game, I like the premise and I always wanted to do a job better than some of my troops in an XCOM game who fail a 95% shotgun at point blanc range.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
amaranth_dru said:
Blizzard tried this with Starcraft Ghost and it died a quiet death without being released.
Nope, Starcraft Ghost is still alive and kicking - just put on hold until they got time for it. Similar with Diablo 3, which also needed like a decade to get released.

VoidWanderer said:
I wish publishers would stop milking franchises for a quick buck.
That would be a pretty slow "quick buck" as the thing is now in developement since 2009, iirc.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
If true that is cool. I was kinda excited for the shooter one. Also I need to play Enemy Unknown still, it looks cool.